jester

October 2015 pics and vids thread

Lak3surf3r    714

It wouldnt even have to be houseboats to keep it cheaper for everyone. Theres plenty of camping/rv/hotels there too, or a mix of houseboats with those other options too!

surf moocher    127

It actually isn't that expensive if we find enough members with access to houseboats. For an extended weekend, maybe 4 days, to use my houseboat it would cost around $2K with turnaround fees and houseboat gas. If we only have 15 people on it, it would only be around $140 each, plus food, drink, and surf boat gas costs.

If we could get at least 3 other houseboats, I'd push to make it happen with my boat, it has 6 queen size beds and several mats on top. We could take over the entire beach on the West side of Gunsite for a few days.

post-826-0-13300300-1446498346_thumb.jpg

post-826-0-42691800-1446498491_thumb.jpg

Edited by surf moocher
  • Like 2

stoked    1,039

It actually isn't that expensive if we find enough members with access to houseboats. For an extended weekend, maybe 4 days, to use my houseboat it would cost around $2K with turnaround fees and houseboat gas. If we only have 15 people on it, it would only be around $140 each, plus food, drink, and surf boat gas costs.

If we could get at least 3 other houseboats, I'd push to make it happen with my boat, it has 6 queen size beds and several mats on top. We could take over the entire beach on the West side of Gunsite for a few days.

post-826-0-13300300-1446498346_thumb.jpg

post-826-0-42691800-1446498491_thumb.jpg

Good God! Does that thing have a helicopter landing pad too?? It's a yacht!!

• Like 1

Lak3surf3r    714

I will pay extra for personal space. I would split a 42/46 footer with someone but I like my space so me, my kid my ladyfriend and one other small family max is all I would want lol. Or a 60 footer between 3 small families.

h20king    794

I will pay extra for personal space. I would split a 42/46 footer with someone but I like my space so me, my kid my ladyfriend and one other small family max is all I would want lol. Or a 60 footer between 3 small families.

we are the same way we do a 60 footer on Shasta and split it between us and two couples LOL bad year for us to do big trips my daughter graduates high school this year then off to college for pre med with a major in biology. Think we have to play close to home this summer.
  • Like 1

surf moocher    127

Good God! Does that thing have a helicopter landing pad too?? It's a yacht!!

Whatever :) it does have 5 bedrooms, one of which has a kid cuddy room attached with a king size pad, plus there's an open air king size bed up top.

• Like 2

Stretch    409

I will pay extra for personal space. I would split a 42/46 footer with someone but I like my space so me, my kid my ladyfriend and one other small family max is all I would want lol. Or a 60 footer between 3 small families.we are the same way we do a 60 footer on Shasta and split it between us and two couples LOL bad year for us to do big trips my daughter graduates high school this year then off to college for pre med with a major in biology. Think we have to play close to home this summer.

+1 for bio major where is she going

h20king    794

PSU Portland state university for the first four then Oregon health and science university OHSU for the rest. Wants to be an orthopedic surgeon

Stretch    409

Very cool, Washington has a good med school as well that would be pretty close to home

RhuntIII    555

This is a great idea. I'm down for a surf trip on lake powell. So what's next?

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

PSU Portland state university for the first four then Oregon health and science university OHSU for the rest. Wants to be an orthopedic surgeon

That was my dream but I was too dumb and lazy so I took the easy route:(. Have her look into becoming an RA to save you some cash on housing.

h20king    794

Portland state and OHSU are both local so she can live at home and commute. PSU is more than affordable and with my union's $5000 a year scholarship what we have saved plus any other grants or scholarships she gets she should be good to go. I could not be more proud of her. She has had a plan and is moving forward with it. She is so funny I sat her down and went over how much work it will be and the costs involved to reach her goal. Her response was even if I have to finance med school after my intern ship it will only take me two years to pay it back. She said starting pay for an orthopedic surgeon is $500k + a year and I have already looked at return on investment. My response well ok then nice talk LOL

• Like 3

Cdifranco    463

I will say having good parental support helped me get through school so keep that up for her h20! Although my rents never shelled out money which would have been the most helpful they also never hounded me about school work, since they never went to college themselves they didn't understand being up for 2 full days and then again till 5AM studying for an 8AM exam that your entire semester is riding on. They also didn't understand when I came home for the holidays looking like I was homeless after finals. Knowing either way whether I received A's or D's they were proud helped ease the stresses that most kids just simply cant handle at that age.

Most parents who are paying will hate that I say this too but getting straight A's isn't the most important thing in school (yea if she wants to go to med school get A's) but networking, coops and internships for my field at least were the most important. I knew a ton of kids who almost went insane stressing out about a few points in classes that didn't matter for their career, and after graduation I actually still have never given anyone my transcripts for any of my degrees.

I wish you and her the best of luck from a semi-recent grad because I definitely wish I could do it all over again.

• Like 2

Stretch    409

I feel that, just mentioning that with med school it's a big deal to get in anywhere, especially the first time and since you are able to pay it back (relatively) easily after your residency and internship it's not that big of a deal to go to out of state especially when another option is close.

Most of my friends that went that route ended up applying to 10 or so schools

I was lucky enough to come out of my bachelors without debt and man was it amazing and still is. Sounds like a lucky kid to have that much

National institute of health has some sweet summer internships.

Edited by Stretch
  • Like 1

h20king    794

Thanks guy's it is her plan so im just going with it. This is all new for me she is our third child out of four and the first to go to college. Her two older brothers chose to go into the trades after highschool so this is uncharted territory for us. I have never pushed her for grades and have just tried to be supportive. She is going to graduate with honers which is another first for us. She is taking a full load at school this year taking classes that give her college credit. I talked with her and asked why take so many classes this year your a senior you should be having fun you earned it Her response was comical as usual You know dad reach for the star's exceed expectations and stuff. My response are you sure your my kid LOL sorry for the thread hijack

Edited by h20king
  • Like 1

Stretch    409

Awesome!

Meh who cares it's November anyway

• Like 3

h20king    794

THANKS Just excited for for her and very proud. It is surreal. WE just did freshman preview Saturday at PSU and to be honest it all scares the hell out of me. She is our first kid to go to college and I want to get this right.

• Like 2

Lak3surf3r    714

This is a great idea. I'm down for a surf trip on lake powell. So what's next?

Well Dark said he wants to plan it so were just waiting on him ;) LOL

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Well Dark said he wants to plan it so were just waiting on him ;) LOL

LOL! Thanks Nate! I'm the last guy you want to plan something like this! I really think we need someone whose been there a few times to organize. Or even a couple people to plan it out.

Lak3surf3r    714

LOL! Thanks Nate! I'm the last guy you want to plan something like this! I really think we need someone whose been there a few times to organize. Or even a couple people to plan it out.

haha agreed. I have only been there once and didnt rent a houseboat. Sounds like Surf Moocher knows the most about it so far so maybe he can chime in with what all would be needed. I can help out with anything needed and supplying boats though. I have another friend with a sv233 as well as the s226 and my RI237.

Edited by Lak3surf3r
  • Like 1