bluesman280

Tow rig ratings, Boat, and trailer weights. Dodge V6 Pentastar

boatnut    230

Remember that most bumper pull hitches are only rated at 5000lbs so we are all illegally towing. My 2012 cummins 6.7l 2500 is rated at 18,000lbs but if you look at the manual even my class 5 hitch rating still says 6000lbs max. The real rating is for a 5th wheel in bed receiver. Technically I shouldn't even be pulling my FS44 with my cummins lol. also a lot of these rating are based off sway control systems in use too. Here is a good read on towing capacity and safety.

https://goldengait.com/customer-resources/trailer-tips/towing-safety/

Nasmuth is right, most max ratings are with 5th or goose neck or even WD, unless you go to a titan receiver or super hitch and most of those are 2.5" receivers.... We discussed this before... Most straight ball pull for any SUV I've seen is 5000 max.. Period, trucks have more as some are equipped with 2.5 receivers like my 2008 Chev dually... So if your pulling a fx22 or 33 or 44 get a diesel pickup in a 2500hd or 3500 configuration... Even my 210 with trailer and 1/4 tank of fuel is 6200 pounds

Edited by boatnut

Lak3surf3r    714

not sure what the stock rating is on my 3500 because I have a super hitch installed. My rating is 1500 lbs tounge weight 15,000 Lb trailer weight. If I was to use a weight distribution hitch the numbers are even higher.

If you have a 2010 or newer the 3500 ratings jump up to 22k lbs all the way up to 29k lbs depending on the body and 2x4 or 4x4 setup.

Lak3surf3r    714

Ya, what he said ^^^^^. Nice looking shop.

Toughest part is keeping the wife happy on this one. This is her main run around the city vehicle. She would prefer something with 3 row seating but wants it small enough for her to get around the city easy. She is coming out of a 2008 GMC Acadia which makes for a great set of wheels for her, so I have to cover those bases first. She hates driving my trucks around because they are harder to park and she thinks they are too big. Full size SUV's are also too big in her world.

The towing is secondary. Happy wife, happy life......or in this case get her a new vehicle I can live with and she is happy with, so I can justify a possible boat upgrade next year.

Worst case, I can keep using my trucks as tow vehicles for now and upgrade my truck if I need to when we do a boat upgrade.

Most of the crossovers are rated too low for towing, most of the SUV's are too big to keep the wife happy.

Ended up going with a new 2014 Durango with Hemi.

The Durango ended up being a strong contender to keep the wife happy, had 3rd row seating, rated to pull the boat, downside I lose out a bit on the gas mileage.

Most of our towing is all flat land around here, so it should be able to handle the boat when I need to use it. Worst case, if I need a few more HP I can always chip it and throw on the cold air intake, or follow Rockballer's lead and supercharge it. (All good ideas probably void warranty though)

My 97 GMC Z71 ends up being the main tow rig most of the time anyways. Has a topper on the back and is usually loaded up with all the toys we will ever need for a day on the water..... 2 wakeboards, 2 kneeboards, 6 surf boards, 8 tubes for the kids to pick from, a cooler full of beverages, and a cooler full of snacks.

You should be fine with that thing. I had hemifever tune on mine with a diablosport programmer (buy it straight form hemifever and they give you a custom tune specific to your vehicle after you send them logs), a mopar cold air intake (doesnt void warranty) and a full borla dual exhaust. Those things made a world of difference, but if I had to choose just one I would go with the programmer.

• Like 1

Troy    234

Troy....that shop is out of sight!!!! I think ot might be worth $1M here.....lol... Awesome! Rig is sweet too!

Thank you! We love the shop! There are guys on here with better shops than mine though!.

• Like 1

daz28iroc    73

how bout the crd cherokee? says its good for 7200 lbs. and has 375 ft lbs torque. anyone used one before?

Stretch    409

Yea I threw that out earlier, they seem to tow well. Also the Touareg/Audi q7/ Porsche Cayenne diesels are rated to 7700 weight carrying pull.

rockballer    162

I tow with the cherokeeeee. .... tows great. Mine has the 6.4L in it. Have had zero issues towing with it. If possible, try and get a 14+ with the new 8 spd trans. It is a huge price jump though. It also was the first year with Uconnect and 9" touch screen along with digital dash. Hope that helps. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

boatnut    230

how bout the crd cherokee? says its good for 7200 lbs. and has 375 ft lbs torque. anyone used one before?

Yup 2008, Grand Cherokee overland diesel, they are okay, but once again big boat gonna put big strain on the pulling vehicle, it's all about the pulling vehicle needing weight, if your gonna pull in the flat lands of Alberta and sask, it's probably gonna be okay, but as soon as you hit the mountains look out...

Once again don't get confused by Max pulling capacity and straight pull vs. WD pull....

Unless you have a 3/4 tonne or 1 tonne or better pick up, your max pull is probably not much better then 5k. Max on a non WD setup

Edited by boatnut

Stretch    409

Which is why the touregs straight pull over 7k is pretty impressive!

Stretch    409

Just realized you meant the older crd GC. I've heard they tow pretty well but seem to be a bit of a black sheep without much following. I believe only 2 years of production? I wouldn't bet on it as much as the new eco diesel but seem to be decent.

Lak3surf3r    714

I had a 2014 GC diesel overland and it towed better than my 1500 Hemi Ram. Its actually 420 ft lbs with the 8 spd tranny and it gets up to 28 mpg as well when not towing. Still didnt handle my FS44 properly and stepped up to a 2012 Cummins

Edited by nasmith342

daz28iroc    73

ive got a 00 cummins, but just thinking when trucks in the shop and for wife to get to work. found a 07 for under 10k, thought it would make a good winter vehicle/ secondary tow vehicle. not up the coquihalla, just local.. she's got a smart car diesel now, but wants a 4wd for the winter months.

Stretch    409

I thinks that's a good second tow vehicle

Lak3surf3r    714

ive got a 00 cummins, but just thinking when trucks in the shop and for wife to get to work. found a 07 for under 10k, thought it would make a good winter vehicle/ secondary tow vehicle. not up the coquihalla, just local.. she's got a smart car diesel now, but wants a 4wd for the winter months.

Should be perfect then!

My ford power stroke was not cutting it, so i traded up to a rhino! post-5830-0-33171200-1463804652_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Carter13    69

All you guys towing with undersized rigs with hitch receivers not rated for the load are leaving yourselves in risk of losing everything. Get in an accident and someone gets hurt you leave yourself at risk of getting sued. I have said it more than once it is not a question if a smaller rig can move the load the question is can it stop the load in an emergency situation. If you can afford a 100k boat you can afford a proper tow rig.

Harold,

I missed this last year so commenting a bit late. Your 2011 3500 4x4 SB SRW is rated for a 3000 lb payload and your AF 811 is at least 4100 lbs. As you know I had an 05 AF 860 and ours weighed in on an Oregon's scale loaded with no boat attached at 4100 and that was with minimal fresh water on board. My 06 Ford 350 4x4 SB SRW was rated for 4100 lb payload.

The other thing to remember is that the payload does not include passenger weight. So you need to add your family's weight to the total which puts you way beyond your trucks limit and yourself at risk of getting sued as well if you get into an accident

Unfortunately trailer tongue weight comes into play as far as adding payload also. Not trying to be the weight police just wanting you to be aware before you start towing this year. Even with our Ford we were over on our payload carrying our AF860. To be honest the only way you can be below or at least to the max payload is to have an AF 990 on a 350/ 3500 DRW.

DarksideR    1,679

Harold,

I missed this last year so commenting a bit late. Your 2011 3500 4x4 SB SRW is rated for a 3000 lb payload and your AF 811 is at least 4100 lbs. As you know I had an 05 AF 860 and ours weighed in on an Oregon's scale loaded with no boat attached at 4100 and that was with minimal fresh water on board. My 06 Ford 350 4x4 SB SRW was rated for 4100 lb payload.

The other thing to remember is that the payload does not include passenger weight. So you need to add your family's weight to the total which puts you way beyond your trucks limit and yourself at risk of getting sued as well if you get into an accident

Unfortunately trailer tongue weight comes into play as far as adding payload also. Not trying to be the weight police just wanting you to be aware before you start towing this year. Even with our Ford we were over on our payload carrying our AF860. To be honest the only way you can be below or at least to the max payload is to have an AF 990 on a 350/ 3500 DRW.

post-848-0-48703700-1463850432_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

geb202002    24

I have had great luck with my 3.5L ecoboost. I normally get around 20 MPG when not towing.

I have had great luck with my 3.5L ecoboost. I normally get around 20 MPG when not towing.

how does it do on hills and inclines? I like my diesel but my boat and truck I am pushing almost almost 45 feet. Forget about u turns. I have been researching the ecoboost for awhile now.

geb202002    24

It pulls my lightning fine. It really works the twin turbos but that is where all the torque is from. I live in the hills so I have a 40 min drive to the lake with overall 1500-2000 foot elevation change and I have no issues. I used to have a 2013 5.0 v8 and my 2016 3.5 EB pulls a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1