bcollins

So who has used their boat less than I have this year?

I got my Avy in may. I go at least once a weekend for 8 hrs. Usually both days. I've read that lots of you travel sometimes hours to a lake. I live on moon lake ms. So it's easy for me. I can have a long hot day welding pipe and come home and put in for just an hour to ride during sunset. Keep the boat!! Dura how much? Inbox me

RhuntIII    555

A wrecked boat = no use at all. Who know's when it will be fixed. On a better note my new trailer might be ready the weekend of the crew meet.

WakeDoc    471

First, great hearing everyone's stories and totally agree with the memories that boating creates, the one thing not mentioned in this thread for me is the down time from life it affords us. What I mean is when we are on the boat we are off the grid so to speak, no work, phone calls, nothing just time in the boat on the water with our family and friends. This has been a very busy season for WakeDiva and myself work wise and it did not help that at the beginning of the season it seemed that every weekend it was to windy to get out on the boat. The other thing is in the past I have always had off road trucks and dirt bikes when our son was younger we played in the dirt in the winter and water in the summer. In the last 8 years or so we have been boating just about year around and the off road part of our lives had faded away. So this season the other thing that kept us off the water for a few weekends when we might have been in the boat is we bought a Can-am Maverick side x side. In the past WakeDiva was a spectator when it came to off road but, with the side x side we are having fun together, experiencing the same excitement at the same time, much like sharing a day on the boat. So the boat has been a little neglected this season while making modifications to the bike. Below are a few pictures of the toy that lives next to the boat.
can-am_maverick_01.jpg
Ready to go to the beach, one of the first trips we did after adding the 3 inch lift, 34 inch tires and 15 inch wheels.
can-am_maverick_01-1.jpg
Before and after picture of bike 6 weeks after we bought it, upper left hand corner is the bike stock and the main picute is the bike after snorkeling the bike to be able to go deep.
can-am_maverick_02.jpg
4th of July weekend, first time to truly mud the bike after adding the snorkels
can-am_maverick_03.jpg
Just like when we are on the boat nothing but, smiles.
maverick.jpg
Just finishing up the latest mod to the bike, a complete Wet Sounds system including a pair of REV10's, 10 inch SS-10B Sub, all powered by a HT6 amp, pulling it's signal from the new WS blue tooth module, looking forward to riding with real toons!
can-am_maverick_006.jpg
All in all we have still managed to put almost 50 hours on the boat with the upcoming CCC Weekend and the rest of the season we should be somewhere between 80 and 100 hours. It is so easy to get caught up in life and not make time for FUN, so this year for us whether we are on the dirt or on the water we cherish every minute of down time with family and friends.

RVR-RAT    269

That looks like a good reason to trade some time off from the water :thumbsup:

poidog1    74

First, great hearing everyone's stories and totally agree with the memories that boating creates, the one thing not mentioned in this thread for me is the down time from life it affords us. What I mean is when we are on the boat we are off the grid so to speak, no work, phone calls, nothing just time in the boat on the water with our family and friends. This has been a very busy season for WakeDiva and myself work wise and it did not help that at the beginning of the season it seemed that every weekend it was to windy to get out on the boat. The other thing is in the past I have always had off road trucks and dirt bikes when our son was younger we played in the dirt in the winter and water in the summer. In the last 8 years or so we have been boating just about year around and the off road part of our lives had faded away. So this season the other thing that kept us off the water for a few weekends when we might have been in the boat is we bought a Can-am Maverick side x side. In the past WakeDiva was a spectator when it can to off road but, with the side x side we are having fun together, experiencing the same excitement at the same time, much like sharing a day on the boat. So the boat has been a little neglected this season while making modifications to the bike. Below are a few pictures of the toy that lives next to the boat.

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_01.jpg

Ready to go to the beach, one of the first trips we did after adding the 3 inch lift, 34 inch tires and 15 inch wheels.

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_04.jpg

Before and after picture of bike 6 weeks after we bought it, upper left hand corner is the bike stock and the main picute is the bike after snorkeling the bike to be able to go deep.

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_02.jpg

[attachment=16850:can-am_maverick_03.jpg

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_05.jpg

Just finishing up the latest mod to the bike, a complete Wet Sounds system including a pair of REV10's, 10 inch SS-10B Sub, all powered by a HT6 amp, pulling it's signal from the new WS blue tooth module, looking forward to riding with real toons!

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_006.jpg

All in all we have still managed to put almost 50 hours on the boat with the upcoming CCC Weekend and the rest of the season we should be somewhere between 80 and 100 hours. It is so easy to get caught up in life and not make time for FUN, so this year for us whether we are on the dirt or on the water we cherish every minute of down time with family and friends.

Hey WakeDoc

I saw your picture on the wetsounds facebook page of your can-am and your centurion . Man now I wish that I lived back in Hawaii because that's the way to go 4 wheelin!!! We used to go 4 wheelin but with the toyota truck or dune buggy and we would always get stuck in the mud or sand. The Can-am is the way to go. Looks like fun!!!

bobback    3

This has been going through my mind lately too. If I only use the boat 5 or 6 times a year, it's just not worth the pain and hassle of it sitting in the driveway. It's honestly causing stress between the wife and I.

If it's causing stress with the wife...sell! Or at least put it on the market and try to sell and if it sells take the next few years off, if you miss it get another.

We struggled with selling or not, for us though it was just getting burnt out on the limited summers and going all the time; so after 13 years figured would take the next few years off. It was a hard decision as we bought the boat new, knew it was well maintained and bought at time when the economy was starting to take a dive so purchased at a decent deal; it was a good boat. Thus was thinking the boat would be hard to replace, maybe should keep; but reality is there will be other boats. It's not like it's a classic car.

Luckily for us being we bought when the economy was taking a dive, we didn't lose much (including goodies added) for using for 6 years. I know I would not buy new again b/c of the prices, but I figure if in 5 years we want to get back into boating; a used 2012 Enzo wouldn't be that much more than we sold our boat for...hopefully!!!

Edited by bobback

Joe B    17

boat wet 4 times this year. i've surfed twice. just filled 3rd tank of gas. we bought with cash so never a payment but $1600/yr for storage. kids just dont seem into it. when we go its tubing and kneeboarding. kicked around getting a cruiser instead and pocket 10+k and not as anal as having a mint black boat stored inside. wife says no sale. i probably wont....but every year i get stronger feelings to move on

Kalidgh    37

Last summer I choose to not work and put on 120 hours (July - August). This summer I have been working and put on 60 hours. Would of done more but one of those "sunny during the workdays......blowing like crazy on the weekends" kinda year.

If you are thinking about selling it the only real question is " will your wife let you get another?" If the answer is NO....keep it...at all costs.

jimzonaboat    1

I haven't been out at all this summer yet but.....Agree with WakeDoc on the downtime off the grid. I usually have my phone in a pelican case for emergencies, but never hear it ring or take it out. I absolutely love having a boat and am even building it it's very own garage this fall. It's so relaxing and enjoyable with family and friends and making those memories. I think it's something you have to like and be committed to though, and it doesn't hurt to be mechanically/electrically astute and like tinkering with things. That helps on the maintenance cost for sure.

chadr    328

First, great hearing everyone's stories and totally agree with the memories that boating creates, the one thing not mentioned in this thread for me is the down time from life it affords us. What I mean is when we are on the boat we are off the grid so to speak, no work, phone calls, nothing just time in the boat on the water with our family and friends. This has been a very busy season for WakeDiva and myself work wise and it did not help that at the beginning of the season it seemed that every weekend it was to windy to get out on the boat. The other thing is in the past I have always had off road trucks and dirt bikes when our son was younger we played in the dirt in the winter and water in the summer. In the last 8 years or so we have been boating just about year around and the off road part of our lives had faded away. So this season the other thing that kept us off the water for a few weekends when we might have been in the boat is we bought a Can-am Maverick side x side. In the past WakeDiva was a spectator when it came to off road but, with the side x side we are having fun together, experiencing the same excitement at the same time, much like sharing a day on the boat. So the boat has been a little neglected this season while making modifications to the bike. Below are a few pictures of the toy that lives next to the boat.

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_01.jpg

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_01-1.jpg

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_02.jpg

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_03.jpg

attachicon.gifmaverick.jpg

attachicon.gifcan-am_maverick_006.jpg

Been there! I also really like Jeeps and I used to have a 1963 Jeep CJ-5 which was a lot of fun! post-4406-0-76871900-1377873760_thumb.jpg

Started having kids and found it didn't have the room necessary to take everyone along so I sold the CJ and bought a fully built Wagoneer with Lockers and EFI. Really have not used it for what it is built for and also have too many vehicles in the driveway so it is currently up for sale.post-4406-0-90553900-1377873886_thumb.jpg

My neighbor talked me into selling my 04 Honda 400ex that I purchased new to him and then find a bigger, badder sand dune climbing ride!!! Needless to say, on some mornings when I have a few hours to spend, we head out to the nearby dunes and climb some hills.

post-4406-0-49406400-1377873512_thumb.jpg

My wife has been a boater all of her life, and when I started dating her, her family had a houseboat share at Bullfrog. They were there every year about 3 weeks and it really became our past time. We love the lifestyle and the freedom of doing what we want. It has became our way of life! We go out to the lake at least 2 times a week for a few hours in the evening. My son is now surfing wirelessly at 9 years old. My inlaws that have the houseboat came with us surfing last year and sold their 1997 Rinker boat within weeks and bought a 2011 MB. Now, my father in law that felt he was a has been skier can get up and surf. He had knee surgery on both knees and was really feeling depressed about boating. He now has a knew lease on life.

Boating to me is the best way to keep your family together in a confined space mandating that they have fun together!!! All of our kids love going and I will miss it when they grow up and leave the nest! I hope that it is ingrained in their minds that the best times of our lives were when we were out playing and doing stuff together!!!

Last year, we bought the Enzo and we put 60 hours on it from the first of August to the 26th of October. This year, we had a baby in May so basically we started slowly. We have still been out on the lake twice a week since mid June. I think we have put on about 40 hours so far this year. Hope we get a few more put on in the next 2 months.