icehawk21

2013 Elite V C4...how much should I offer/pay?

rawinnin    73

Excellent! I think you will love it!!

X2^^

It sounds like you are happy with the dealer also, this truly is a must because with him being 10mins away and you a new boat owner it will be a valuable source. Take advantage.

• Like 1

icehawk21    1

Thanks for the positive comments. The dealer being 10 minutes away is a huge bonus. He isn't a huge dealer in terms of boat sales but his bread and butter is service. In fact, he contracts out his service to other boat dealers.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Elite V C4 as a boat - particularly wakesurfing for the beginning family aiming to get better? As well as a general purpose sportboat? The Elite doesn't get as much press as the Enzo or Avalanche so I didn't have much Internet press to rely on when purchasing. My top choices were Tige, Centurion and Supreme since they are considered the top surf boats. Was really interested in the Tige R20 but the local dealer doesn't have any in stock that would be anywhere close to the price of this Elite.

Thoughts?

Edited by icehawk21

DarksideR    1,679

An Enzo or Avalanche are better surf boats. The EliteV is quite capable, and throws better waves than most boats I see on the lake, but still falls short of some others. The EliteV is VERY weight sensitive. This means people have to sit in specific spots and not move about too much to get the wave just right. Does the dealer have any Supreme v226's? That's supposed to be a killer surf boat, and shouldn't be too far off the EliteV price point. If I could do it over, I'd get a RH propped Enzo or a 226 or even a Tige RZ2. But... we've been very happy with our EliteV. Would have been happier if I surfed Reg! The Goofy wave is hard to dial in.

DarksideR    1,679

You will need to upgrade ballast to get a decent surf wave. Bare minimum is 750 in rear surf side locker, 4-500 in bag or ppl weight on surf side or rear seat, 250 center tank.

icehawk21    1

Thanks for the comments. I surf regular so unless the kids & wife surf goofy, we should be fine on that front. I don't need a pro wave - just something I can have some fun with while I learn and then something the kids can grow with. I was hoping not to have to do a sac/bag on the seat and just throw 750 in the rear lockers - and possibly some lead or a smaller bag under the surf seat.

I also wanted something a bit smaller my first time out. My first choice was a Tige RZR but in Calgary they are extremely expensive brand new. Even the used ones are asking 65-70 and there aren't that many. Same thing with the Supreme V226 - expensive (68-75) and not many used ones available. I almost purchased a used 2011 Supreme V208 with 50 hours for $45 but got snagged by another buyer at the last minute. And any other used boat that I even considered looking at that was reasonably priced was sold by the time I inquired. Was considering purchasing a 2012 Moomba LSV with 8 hours for $53 but it was 12 hours drive away and I was leery buying a used boat site unseen.

Now that I've settled on a price for a new Elite, I might see what the local dealers will offer on a Tige R20 loaded to about the same options. But I don't think it'll come close to the price I'm getting on the Elite.

I figure that with used V-Drive boat prices retaining their price so well in Calgary that if I outgrown this one in a few years, I should be able to recoup most of my upfront cost.

Having said that, I'd like to buy this boat thinking that it'll meet my needs for many years. I'm never going to be a pro wake-surfer - nothing more than an old out-of-shape 40-something trying to show his kids he's still young :)

Any other thoughts out there on the Elite before I pull the trigger?

chinocat    0

Pull the trigger! I am a fellow Calgarian, have a 2003 Elite V. Very happy with our boat and able to surf no problem behind it. The goofy wave is a little tricky to make but a regular one is not a problem. Definitely need some fat sacs though. We have 2/750 lbs for the lockers, 2/260 lbs for under seats or bow, and 1/150 lbs brick for wherever we need it. The newer ones also have the newer hull which helps with the wave making!

Good luck and happy surfing!

Not as pretty as a bigger boat but plenty of fun!

Brant

post-1039-0-09894500-1374465537_thumb.jpg

Edited by chinocat

zapisor    43

I have been in both the rzr and the elite, you will enjoy the elite more. As your surfing skills progress you will want more and more wave, the elite is very capable of doing that.

Seba and I are also in Alberta, Seba has an 08 elite that we run around 3400lbs in.... It throws a great wave. PM him if you would like more info.

zapisor    43

Ps,

if you bought that boat from Jeff at Absolute you can't go wrong, he represents the brand well. In a few years he will have a great dealership.

duramat    464

CONGRATS!! :thumbsup:

Ditto what Dark said. If you haven't been able to find an Avy, Enzo or 226 this Elite will do nicely :thumbsup:

Ballast...what's it coming with?

icehawk21    1

zapisor...i did purchase the boat from Jeff at Absolut. Seems like a good guy. He and I will be going out on the lake early this week to lake test/demo before final decision. And he's going to run through operating and trailering it with me. Thanks for the info on Seba - I'm sure I will be asking for info after purchase.

duramat - I believe it has a 250 mid hard tank and two 250-350 plumbed in the rear lockers. Not sure exact size but they don't appear to fill the entire locker. The dealer mentioned that most if not all buyers end up swapping for larger bags. I'm thinking 750s would fit nicely in there. I'm just trying to determine if I should purchase them now or wait until I've had some time with the boat.

What's everyone's thoughts on sac'ing out a 2013 Elite? I'd prefer to keep the sacs hidden. I'm considering getting a bow filler cushion so that I can put a sac underneath if required. And putting some weight under the seats.

Thought?

icehawk21    1

Another thing...how's the freeboard on this boat? My buddy has a Sanger 215 that I liked but has low freeboard. I'd prefer something with a bit more that still puts out a good surf wave.

duramat    464

As Dark mentioned, 750 in the rear will fit nicely, along with a 370 in the ski locker. Like he said, about 3-400 in peeps on the seat and have some duct tape on hand for the vent (you'll get water coming in otherwise) you want that rub rail kissing the the water.

Anything less than 750 in the rear ain't gonna cut it for surfing, period. My dealer set me up with 400's in the beginning and it was just frustrating and a waste of time.

Any , ANY chance of looking at an MB in your neck of the woods? I'm just trying to help ya out on all options to be considered. I'm not anti Elite V, I have one and love mine and does well for me and my needs and budget. Just tryin to to give you the biggest wave cause your gonna want it.

:thumbsup:

Define high altitude prop....537?

my .02 cents....don't have them put the optional hard tanks in the rear lockers. Leave those out and find a used sac and pump to get you by while you learn. Or just have the dealer plumb in new sacs instead of the hard tanks and call it good. You won't be satisfied with those small rear tanks that always take up locker space. Sac it and surf it!

As for the freeboard, I'm not sure if the 2013 has changed since the boats 5 years ago....but the Elite V had much less freeboard than other centurion models and some other brands. Some people are ok with that others aren't.

icehawk21    1

I have been in both the rzr and the elite, you will enjoy the elite more. As your surfing skills progress you will want more and more wave, the elite is very capable of doing that.

Seba and I are also in Alberta, Seba has an 08 elite that we run around 3400lbs in.... It throws a great wave. PM him if you would like more info.

zapisor - can you elaborate on what you mean that I will enjoy the Elite more than the RZR? Just curious!

icehawk21    1

my .02 cents....don't have them put the optional hard tanks in the rear lockers. Leave those out and find a used sac and pump to get you by while you learn. Or just have the dealer plumb in new sacs instead of the hard tanks and call it good. You won't be satisfied with those small rear tanks that always take up locker space. Sac it and surf it!

As for the freeboard, I'm not sure if the 2013 has changed since the boats 5 years ago....but the Elite V had much less freeboard than other centurion models and some other brands. Some people are ok with that others aren't.

The 2013 model comes with the Pro Ballast package that has two 250# fat sacs plumbed into the rear lockers (touchscreen switch, valves, pumps) as opposed to hard tanks. Very easy to replace the sacs with 750# sacs. The mid ballast is a hard tank in the hull below the deck that I presume is more difficult to modify.

duramat    464

You won't be modding the center ballast.

Ice check your PM's

icehawk21    1

No, I didn't assume I would be modding the centre ballast. Just the rear, side and possibly bow if required. I'll check my PM. Thanks!

icehawk21    1

Just thought I'd provide a bit of an update...but first, thanks for all the info! I lake tested the boat tonight with a friend of mine (and his wife) that has much more experience than I do - which isn't hard since I've never owned or really driven a boat! I wanted his general opinion on the boat and wanted him to surf behind it as well so that I wasn't just relying on my opinion alone.

Anyways, the lake test went really well. My friend surfs goofy but the dealer had set it up for regular - had already filled the port locker ballast and setup the rudder accordingly. Also - the dealer had brought an 1000-1100# sac to replace the stock 250# sac. Took some time to switch and fill, which gave me a bit of time to assess the boat.

General thoughts...

• Seemed to surf quite well even on the goofy side- especially with the extra weight. We probably had it filled to 500-600# so we could still likely fill even more. My buddy was using a brand new board and he was able to drop the rope and stay in the pocket. I'm not a good judge of the surf wave but my buddy liked it well enough and commented that it should be a great boat to surf behind (he rides a 2008 Sanger V215). The dealer also mentioned that it would surf better on the regular side due to the prop rotation and rudder setup. So I think this boat should be more than enough for my needs (and my family's needs) for wake-surfing
  • I would likely purchase the larger bag upfront. Dealer is suggesting the 1000# sac (even though it might not completely fill). He didn't think I would need any additional weight under the surf-side seats but could always add later.
  • The boat looks extremely sharp on the water. I'll post pics when I get the chance. My buddy said the red stripe on the black side shone off the setting sun when we were turning to pick him up - thought it looked cool. I love the tower and the lines of the boat. Only issue with the tower is that the tower speaker is low enough for me to hit my head - something I'll need to watch out for.
  • I like the micro-touch vision lcd display - very cool and modern. I'm in IT and this speaks to me!
  • Rode extremely smooth through the water. Water wasn't choppy but we did test driving through our own wake to test it's handling. My buddy and his wife (she drive's their most of the time) both commented that it drove very smoothly.
  • The trim tab is quite noticeable at adjusting how high/low the bow sits in the water, and how easy it is to adjust to cut through chop. Would have to play with this for different driving conditions but it was noticeably different.
  • I like that it doesn't have a ski pylon and that any towing (tubes, skiing) would be off the transom. One less thing for my son to fall and crack his head on!
  • Big open sundeck/platform on the back engine/lockers. My daughter will love that!
  • One thing that I did notice was that the freeboard was a bit lower than I'd ideally like. I wish it did have a bit more freeboard. It's similar to my buddy's Sanger, though, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just wish it was a bit higher/deeper. But the seating was comfortable, including the driver's seat. Didn't really test out the open bow.
  • Also noticed that the boat is sensitive to weight. Weighing down the rear locker with 500-600# and sitting everyone on the starboard side behind the driver definitely lists the boat to the side. Which obviously helps with the wake - water was up to the rub rail - but doesn't help with the lower freeboard. I will definitely need to watch my young kids on that side. However - we didn't take any water over the side of the boat. Sundeck did get wet but nothing inside the cabin.

Anyways, my overall impression was very positive. Keep in mind that I don't really have much to compare it against with my limited experience, but the boat test and my friend's impressions were enough to convince me that this boat will be a great family boat for a first-time owner that should provide many years & hours of boating enjoyment. I'm going to finalize the purchase tomorrow and then do a thorough lake demo and 'training' session with the dealer on Thursday night (with my wife) - and then get it out on the lake this weekend!

If anyone is interested, I can try and post some pics when I get the chance.

Thanks again for all the information. Now I need to buy all the extra gear, like a surfboard, ropes, buoys, & safety equipment!

Cheers!

Bryan

Edited by icehawk21
  • Like 1

duramat    464

Excellent write up :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Troy. R    144

Excellent write up :thumbsup:

X2

Congrats ice

scottnorm    9

Yeah I know, an hour doesn't seem that bad, but the dealer is tiny.... We needs huge centurion dealer in the metroplex. There is waaaayyy too many Malibu and master rafts on our lake. Lmao, auto correct, master rafts. That's my new nick name for those boats.

Hey Mancho, I bought my Enzo from Freedom. They may be an hour away, but they are awesome. My boat is at PK and one of my bow speakers is not working. They offered to drive out to check it out. I will echo the sentiments here - a good dealer is worth its weight in gold and Freedom is awesome. Plus, they just opened up a store in Lewisville, which is a little closer.

Icehawk, try to get them to throw in a beginner board and a rope as part of the purchase. Small cost to the dealer considering how much you're spending on the boat. My dealer was willing to do that for me when I bought my Centurion. Congrat's on the upcoming purchase! You'll love that boat and all the good times that come along with it!

icehawk21    1

The dealer is mostly a service shop and small boat dealer, doesn't really carry gear. However, he can get discounted gear from another larger dealer for whom he does their service. So I'm working with him to get gear at his discounted price and have it included in the boat price. Also - he's going to sell me the bow filler cushion and larger fat sacs at cost. Only problem is I don't know what gear to get! I'm considering getting a helmet, gloves, beginner surf board, tow ropes (surfing, tubing) and possibly some cheap waterskis (not slalom - two skis)...not sure about the waterskis. And maybe a wake sled or kneeboard for the kids.

Any suggestions on a beginner surf board?

DarksideR    1,679

You won't need the helmet for surfing. We bought them and only used it for wakeboarding, which my wife and I VERY rarely do.

Getting the right board can be tricky, especially if you're trying to find one board for 2 or 3 people at very different weights.

Congrats, and great write up of your demo.

scottnorm    9

The dealer is mostly a service shop and small boat dealer, doesn't really carry gear. However, he can get discounted gear from another larger dealer for whom he does their service. So I'm working with him to get gear at his discounted price and have it included in the boat price. Also - he's going to sell me the bow filler cushion and larger fat sacs at cost. Only problem is I don't know what gear to get! I'm considering getting a helmet, gloves, beginner surf board, tow ropes (surfing, tubing) and possibly some cheap waterskis (not slalom - two skis)...not sure about the waterskis. And maybe a wake sled or kneeboard for the kids.

Any suggestions on a beginner surf board?

I'm like you -- I've owned my 233 for a couple of months and am new to surfing (never willing to risk injury with the wakeboarding). Surfing has been great. On recommendation of this forum, I bought two boards - a Hyperlite Broadcast for my wife (4'8") and an inland surfer blue lake for me. I got up on the blue lake on the first try without any issues. It is lighter and a little more squirly than the Hyperlite, but definitely easy to grow into. The hyperlite is heavier and much more stable (and slower) than the blue lake, but that is precisely what my wife needed. I'm still trying to dial in the wave from the boat. When I load down my ballasts, it gets too rampy for me and I've literally almost surfed onto my swim deck! Last weekend, I didn't fill my PNP, and it was perfect. Welcome to the sport and the forum -- you are going to love both!