etnoz    0

So yet another possible repair, as the engine stopped performing, I went under the boat to check for potential culprits and found a small ding in the prop, about the size of a pencil tip eraser, near one of the tips. Obviously that wasn't the cause of the engine problems, have that fixed with a combnation of fuel filter, water sep, and plugs. Damn I hate ethanol! But anyway, how big of a ding is gonna cause that much of an issue. Already put the backup on, just looking for thoughts on how much performance degredation I would see when I have to put it back on. Basically is it worth the $160 I'll pay to get it refinished.

superdtf    68

So yet another possible repair, as the engine stopped performing, I went under the boat to check for potential culprits and found a small ding in the prop, about the size of a pencil tip eraser, near one of the tips. Obviously that wasn't the cause of the engine problems, have that fixed with a combnation of fuel filter, water sep, and plugs. Damn I hate ethanol! But anyway, how big of a ding is gonna cause that much of an issue. Already put the backup on, just looking for thoughts on how much performance degredation I would see when I have to put it back on. Basically is it worth the $160 I'll pay to get it refinished.

I know plenty of guys that will hammer their small dings back into shape and run the propeller that way. I will not. Especially if you feel vibration, then you should not. But funny thing about vibration, many many folks don't have their shaft aligned to near perfection, or they run an imperfect prop, and they just get used to vibration. I'm anal about it. I hate the way it causes everything to get squeaky and loose and rattley.

mateo112    2

Depends on how much vibration you were getting.

Hit my prop going through a shallow channel. A few dings on each blade and had bad vibration.

c22burns    3

I had my bent prop rebuilt for $170 and was so amazed with the difference. My prop had a hard 1 inch bend prior to having it rebuilt. To me it was money very well spent.

RhuntIII    555

I'm going to add to this thread. With the drying lakes in south Texas I found every prop dinger at the boat ramp! :rant: At idle no issues but when getting up to speed WOW the vibration was a killer. I went under the boat and felt several dings on the prop. I took a wrench with me under water to bend the prop back to a working shape. Boat goes back on the trailer for some more tweeking and back into the water for surf. It did not feel as smooth as when the prop was new. :rant:

I'm taking the prop off and going to have it repaired. I'll check around with the locals. Is there a online repair I could look into and send the prop off?

:laughing:

Bongo Fury    640

We repaired a very small ding in our prop a couple of seasons ago. I believe it was about $100 and money well spent. The difference was amazing especially at cruising speeds or more.

superdtf    68

I think it's worth it to send it to Nettles who has the correct blocks and experience. But for that, you'll need to have a spare to use while it's out.

Bigcatpt    408
I think it's worth it to send it to Nettles who has the correct blocks and experience. But for that, you'll need to have a spare to use while it's out.

Ya! What he said! JT over at Nettles will take care of you.

RhuntIII    555

Looks like they are out of Austin TX

tuneman    6

I wouldn't pay $160 to fix a ding the size of a pencil tip eraser! It's not rocket science.

Just get out your crescent wrench, take your time, bend it back and file off any sharp edges. Then lake test it. If you have no vibration you're good. If you still have a lot of vibration then the whole blade is likely out of alignment and that's when you send it in for repair.

superdtf    68

I wouldn't pay $160 to fix a ding the size of a pencil tip eraser! It's not rocket science.

Just get out your crescent wrench, take your time, bend it back and file off any sharp edges. Then lake test it. If you have no vibration you're good. If you still have a lot of vibration then the whole blade is likely out of alignment and that's when you send it in for repair.

I almost agree. I've done this in a pinch for short periods of time.

The problem is that humans can talk themselves into increasing amounts of vibration, such that over time, you don't notice it. In fact, you won't notice it until you get a new prop. But it's a tragedy if by that time, all of the screws in your windshield are loose, the tower creaks, the hinges are all loose, and the rest of your mounts and running gear are loosey goosey. If you're boat is already kinda trashed, then go for it. But if your windows are still tight, if your tower doesn't creak, if it used to run really pretty smooth, I'd pay the money.

When you add up all of the "investment" we have in these boats, $160 bucks represents the proverbial drop in the bucket of water. Vibration over time will literally shake your boat apart.

My dad's Ski Nautique runs smooth now, but is rattly as hell because years ago he was too cheap to replace the bent strut. I finally got sick of it a few years later, and bought the strut myself along with a new shaft. But by then, the damage had been done. I've seen people do the same thing to their boats because they didn't get their prop repaired or properly align the shaft.

RhuntIII    555

I've had Nettles on the phone and will be sending them the prop to repair. I have two props that came with the boat one is a brand new 4 blade prop. I'm going to try to sell both those and buy another 911.

Super, I like the way you think and agree on the vibration.

I also like to read your posts with an Elvis "The King of Rock" Presley accent. :laughing: