RhuntIII

Go Pro, Spots-vue and or other cameras

RhuntIII    555

Those that use the go pro Camera the crew would like to know your opinions on your camera. Same goes for the sports-vue and or any other water proof camera.

I'm in the market for a video camera and would like some info before making a decision.

Pros and cons, pros and cons.

Also accessories that are used. ex. Lighting, booms, mounts, etc.

Edited by RhuntIII

duramat    462

Im sporting the Gopro Hero HD. LOVE IT. I got all kinds of mounts to put it on anything.

cons: I need more spare batteries, I need more 16G class 10 cards, and need a new portable hard drive everyyear cause of all the video I get. I need a new faster and better computer andI need more time (I need the most) in life to go back and edit all of it or some of it into fun clips

Edited by duramat

harlobra    24

I have a GoPro HD Hero 2 which is awesome for the boat because it can shoot at wide angle. You can attach it to anything too. It's not very practical to use anywhere else though. I got the LCD screen for the back so I could see what I was recording but that only makes it more bulky. If you want to record action video it is excellent but the waterproof case muffles the sound.

The best all around camera I ever owned is my Sony DSC-TX10 it's the size of an iPhone, waterproof, takes unbelievable pics, and also records 1080p video.

nate riley    0

I also have the Gopro HD Hero 2 and love it! i use the suction cup mount on the side rail near the back of the boat. this works really well for surfing with the wide angle view. Iv only tried it a few times and already have some great footage

RhuntIII    555

I went with the sports-vue 360. I just got it in the mail yesterday so I'll be reading the instructions and getting my self familiar with the camera. I'll post my thoughts and some footage.

truekaotik    458

Rhunt. That's lookin way better than the GoPro2.. I may be getting that instead... Only thing it can't do is 3D like 2 Gopro2's.... Can't wait for a review...

DarksideR    1,679

Tough call, I'd still go with the GoPro2 though. I prefer the 60fps 720p shooting mode for super smooth slow motion playback. The SportsVue360 only does 60fps at 480p. That and ALL the attachments that the GoPro offers makes it the winner in my eyes. Just wish it came with a remote and an lcd screen. Those are 2 big drawbacks of the GoPro's.

RhuntIII    555

Pros and cons, pros and cons

duramat    462

Tough call, I'd still go with the GoPro2 though. I prefer the 60fps 720p shooting mode for super smooth slow motion playback. The SportsVue360 only does 60fps at 480p. That and ALL the attachments that the GoPro offers makes it the winner in my eyes. Just wish it came with a remote and an lcd screen. Those are 2 big drawbacks of the GoPro's.

Dark we can get the LCD screens for ours :thumbsup:

Where's Knuckle!? He'd give a good review as he has the vue and knows the gopro as well

RhuntIII    555

I saw all the gopro's extras the lcd looks like a good one to have. and the 3d thing we shall see. Gopro is for sure tried and true.

Dark we can get the LCD screens for ours :thumbsup:

Where's Knuckle!? He'd give a good review as he has the vue and knows the gopro as well

My camera actually isn't the Vue. It is a Drift Innovations HD170 Stealth. Overall I like it. I think the GoPro has better color. What sold me on the stealth was the LCD, RF remote, and swivel lense. All features that the gopro was lacking at the time. It is a little big though. Since the time I bought mine, they've come out with one that is about 1/3 smaller. My only real complaint is that the Stealth isn't waterproof beyond much more than a quick dunk...and the water proof pouch is pretty much just a bag and can tend to fog up. The newest Stealth model has a hard case available similar to what the GoPro uses....but you have to purchase it separately. If i had to decide between the Stealth and GoPro again....i think I'd still have to flip a coin since there are so many pros/cons. At the time of my purchase, there was only one camera that had ALL the features of the Stealth and GoPro in a single camera. The name slips me right now...I didn't go with it due to some of the reviews saying it wasn't very durable....I think it was by Oregon Tech or something like that.

This is the first time I've seen the Sports-Vue...must be a fairly new camera model. It looks to me to have some solid features other than the 60fps only being in 480p. But most people don't really use that much....and many don't realize that some software such as iMovie actually doesn't support true 60fps HD video, if I remember right. You're going to love having a remote control for the Vue. That is by far my favorite feature of the Stealth so far. But the Vue's website doesn't say if the remote is IR or RF. The Stealth's remote is RF which is awesome since i can mount the camera to the back of the boat or tower and then just hit the remote from the driver seat to start and stop recording when a rider falls. Saves TONS of storage space. If the Vue's remote is IR then that may pose a problem depending on where the camera is mounted, line of site, etc. I think you'll be happy with the choice. Hard to beat the video of the GoPro but the vue looks to have some very nice features. With it being waterproof to 60', I'd possibly consider selling my Stealth and picking one of those up.

Can't wait to see some vids!

DrNate    426

^^^Wow, this is good info here. Now let's see some vid!

RhuntIII    555

Nate you know you'll be part of the video, we could always use extras in the back ground :laughing: It looks to me knuckle that the remote is rf.

DarksideR    1,679

It'd be super cool to see some side by side (simultaneous film) of the two camera's footage. But I'm sure they are very comparable. The GoPro really is only good for recording things that are quite close IMO. The wide angle makes anything that's more then 10 feet away seem REALLY far away! Good news is that the wife just bought a Canon 5D Mark II that can be used for further away filming... Bad news is how much the damn thing costs. And only one lens we have works with it, and it uses different memory format than we have... So more spending to come. That's my boat money!!

But what can you do?

onionman    0

So the GoPro website says that the WiFi back pack will now be available this summer. It was originally scheduled for an April release, but obvioulsy they have missed that. This will be able to connect to any WiFi enabled device (smartphone or tablet) for remote control and viewing.

DarksideR    1,679

That'll be sweet!

truekaotik    458

Loving all the info on this thread!

Sweet...

Post Video. Video. Video ;)

RhuntIII    555

The weather is really bad in south Texas not sure when I'm taking out the boat. I have been playing with the camera the buttons that get you through the menu are very stiff and hard to tell when pushed if they worked. I need to get some video.

Jackfly    0

So I'm doing a training project at work, using a gopro camera to record some footage. Turns out we needed a second camera so we purchased a sports-vue 360. I was really stoked to get this as it seemed a better deal than Go-pro. I was kinda dissapointed though. As Runt said, fit and finish seems low compared to the go-pro. Every single button on the thing is impossible to press. In fact the top power button is already scarred from my having to jam it down with my finger nail. pain in the A**. According to the web site, they will break-in but I have my doubts. Anyway, as I get some footage shot Ill post some up here for a side by side.

post-998-0-14028200-1337112173_thumb.jpg

truekaotik    458

Thanks guys :) I'm in the market for a new camera and was about to get 2 go pros for 3D ;) but always wanting to know the latest and greatest... And making sure I'm doing the right thing as this will have to last a LOOOONG time.. Lol

Edited by truekaotik