Bojik    0

Not sure why, but when I do a search nothing comes up.

So I am sure this has been addressed before, sorry.

I bought my boat last spring from an owner who took great care of it, '07 216 ENZO. I really want to keep up the tradition and I am good with car maintenance but a complete newbie to boat maintenance. I am guessing that everyone can help me with a list of items that I will need to check every fall and spring. Along with a good step by step basic how-to for these items, with product suggestions.

I live in an area where I will be buying all of my supplies online, unless they are something that is available from a typical auto parts store. And the nearest boat shop is about 2+ hours away.

I store my boat in a heated garage all winter, so a full winterization is not necessary in the fall(I think/hope).

A list of items I am guessing need to be checked/changed or replaced;

Engine oil

Oil filter

Water pumps (engine and ballast)

Transmission oil (or gear box I think)

Battery condition and charge (they have been on a trickle charger/conditioner most of teh winter)

Trailer brakes

Trailer tire grease

Items I am not to sure about;

Maintenance for the location where the drive shaft goes through the bottom hull

Other areas within the hull that are not typically visible

Will a "Fake A Lake" allow me to run the engine for a limited time or run ballast pumps for testing?

Thanks in advance.

Packrat    13

Add impeller to the list. Always have an extra one.

dezul    10

Clean out the strainer for the ballast system. It can get pretty nasty. Check the tire pressures and tread depth. Ensure all the lights on the trailer is still functioning. How about air filter? Water separation filter? fuel filter? Impeller? Fresh gasoline. Also you might want to put some of that water remover in the gas that is in the boat. Gas tends to separate when it sits over time. Other simple thing is you can check the spark plugs and distributor cap. Sorry mine isn't a list of items to purchase.

Edited by dezul

Bojik    0

Pack, I have spare impellers, knocking on wood, none of them needed replacement last year. Should I go ahead an replace them before the start of this year? Or at least inspect them, and how would I tell if I should replace one?

dez, your list is great. A couple of dumb questions;

1) where is the strainer usually for the ballast system? Not sure I have seen one.

2) where is the water separation filter? This is for the fuel line I am guessing.

dezul    10

The strainer on my boat is located all the way at the rear of the boat near the exhaust pipes. It looks like the one linked below. The water separation filter in located on the rear portside of the boat on the engine near the impeller. I am assuming you have the 5.7L Black Scorpion though.

The strainer should just unscrew off then you can get all the build-up out of it by running it under the facet. Then just stick it back on.

Link to strainer on my boat.

http://www.shurflo.c...220-00%2001.pdf

Edited by dezul

Troy. R    198
Will a "Fake A Lake" allow me to run the engine for a limited time or run ballast pumps for testing? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use the fake a lake to run the engine or test ballast pumps.

one other thing I like to do is take the boat to the local tire shop and have them check the lug nut torque on the wheels at the begining of the season.

duramat    462

Check your tower mounts (your gonna be crawiling LOL). You may be surprised, let us know :thumbsup:

Edited by duramat

Troy. R    198

Check your tower mounts (your gonna be crawiling LOL). You may be surprised, let us know :thumbsup:

Good call dura. I found a loose tower mount bolt a couple weeks ago. Not a bad idea to take them off and loctite them while your at it.

Joe B    17

My trailer bunk bolts seem to be tightened every spring. easy for kids to help with.

dezul    10

My trailer bunk bolts seem to be tightened every spring. easy for kids to help with.

I noticed that on mine too. Some looked a little loose.

Rob-be-me    0

This led me on the right path. This guy did a great job on the list, pics, and advice.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/3797-winterized-my-black-scorpion-57/

I added the the impeller while doing the Water Fuel separator, might as well you're there(loosen the belt, remove the hoses and drain plugs, then 2 9/16 bolts and out it comes). Good thing I did, I had 2 missing blades. Plus don't let the lack of oil on the dip stick of the Walter Gear Drive scare you if your boat has that brand. I can't even get the stick out but I can read it(common). The install angle on this gear box scews the read. Each model takes different amounts. Get the model number off the face plate and look up yours to be sure. Read through to page 4 Oil Fill section.

http://www.dublerfamily.com/Regina_oceani/Manuals/Drive%20Train%20and%20Fuel%20System/V-Drive/Walter%20V-Drive%20Installation%20and%20Service%20Manual.PDF

Hope my "lessons learned" helps you with yours. :guitar:

Bojik    0

My weekend list is getting longer and longer. I will take a look at everthing mentioned here and post sunday night how it all went.

Thanks and keep em comming.

kgordon7378    0

Another thing to check, especially living in Colorado is the brake fluid on the trailer brakes. If you ever need help, I am not that far from you in Littleton, CO. Just shoot me a PM.

Bojik    0

Thanks for the offer kgor, we come over to Denver a couple of times a year since you get summer before we do :)