Sign in to follow this  
duramat

Best wheel (rim) / tire combo on 04 3/4 Burban?

Big Po    1

He is correct, actually, there are programmers like Superchips, Hypertech, BullyDog (which I DON'T recommend), Edge, etc.... That can all change the newer speedo's b/c they are electronically controlled. You don't necessarily have to re-gear the vehicle. There are more cost-effective ways to recalibrate.

You can't believe everything you see on TV or read on the internet. But at least take me at my word. I've been building off-road vehicles and daily driving them for 9 years now. I've never had a truck that stayed stock for very long....LOL

Edited by Big Po

islander033    2

lets put it this way, my car goes two mph faster when comparing my speedometer and gps when going from 17's to 19's. so when my speedometer says 65, im really going 67. the only way to make sure that gas mileage or loss of power is effected is go do the proper gears in the axles. then youre truck is tricked into believing that you're riding stock, when in reality you have heavy duty mud tires and rims on.

You can change your speedo in your tune (ECU) on newer vehicles.

...As po said in town it drinks gas mine went from 15 to about 12 but on interstate it did do better. That may be why tire shops don't try selling that theory....

Well it's a good thing that everyone only drives hiway, starting at 70mph not 0mph, on flat ground, with no wind, no towing...ect.

Either way, I give up trying to talk common sense to y'all. I hope you save tons of fuel with your larger, heavier rims and tires.:wallbash:

Duramat I wish you happy shopping!:animier:

duramat    462

Sorry Duramat I guess we stole your post here. I'm sure you will but get what you want because even if you don't get better mpg it may look good. If you have a $50000 suv and a $50000 or more boat are you really concerned with mpg.

Re gearing is not the only way to have the speedo recalibrated. And as for having your friend follow you how you know his is right. I had plenty of cops check mine before and after I got the programmer from hypertec

As po said in town it drinks gas mine went from 15 to about 12 but on interstate it did do better. That may be why tire shops don't try selling that theory.

I'm sure y'all believe all that crap you see on myth busters

When they test mpg on trucks as well.

HA HA HA! :thumbsup: You guys all rock! I appreciate all the info you guys give :unworthy: For years Ive always wanted to copy that cool guy with the lift and tires goin down the road. I like lifts but I get leery of changing my tolerances and having more mechanical issues down the road :wallbash:

On my 02 Duramax it came with 65's, (They were the factory junk I tell ya) Next move was to the 75's and I liked them and told myself I would get the bigger tires and lift on the truck next go around. Well on my trip to surf with Bigcat last year I blew a tire and I needed tires right then and now so I just went with the 85's at the nearest tire store. Shortly after I was like "Why the hell are all these idiots all going slower in my fast lane!" After using my GPS on a trip I realized the discrepancy on my speedometer and ya, I was goin way faster than it said.

Islander you make a good point on the conserving gas bro! Its bad enough when your SUV gets 12-14 and if you lose a mile on top of that......that shiz adds up REAL QUICK (courtesy of little oil, speculators and BIG, BIG, government :offtopic: )

Big Po    1

If you buy a good quality lift, and have it installed by a reputable shop (I install my own), you will be fine with no major mechanical issues down the road. The main things on a Chevy that will wear out are the balljoints, tie-rod ends, and pitman arm. Other than that, the IFS's hold up fairly well, provided, you don't go over 6" of lift.

Hey Matt, you could also run a high-flow catalytic converter and a Borla muffler and a single 3" pipe, and you'd get some better performance, sound, and MPG's. Also, a programmer, and a cold air intake (AFE is the best), you will be getting really good fuel mileage. Also some high performance plugs & wires will help like some NGK-R Ididium IX plugs and Taylor 8.8mm wires were a nice upgrade when I had my '99 Z71 with the 5.3L in it.

Edited by Big Po

DarksideR    1,679

Buddy at work says his mileage improved. Says it alters the gear ratio or something... It makes sense to me if your not stopping and starting alot. I dunno, and don't care. I put heavier wheels on my Audi, an a guy said it'd Hirt my mileage. My reply... "who cares, it looks badass"!

Big Po    1

It actually makes the final gear ratio higher (numerically lower).....Say your truck has 3.73 gears, and came stock with 31" tires. Then, you leave the 3.73 gear, and put 35" tires on it. Then your final drive ratio goes from 3.73:1 (with 31" tire) to 3.30:1 (with 35" tires). It drops your gearing numerically, b/c it drops your final gear ratio, which drops your engine RPM's at the same speed.....Which in turn causes....Less fuel consumption....Which = better MPG's.

Edited by Big Po

Big Po    1

I recently bought from www.discounttiresdirect.com and had a good experience and unbeatable price. They were prompt & courteous. I didnt buy wheels, just new tires, but their shipping was pretty dang quick. I will definitely buy from them again.

Carter13    69

I will be replacing my stock 265/70/17 when they wear out with some 295/70/17's. I will mount on the stock wheels and am not concerned towing with my Cummins.

I am thinking about leveling my truck and installing some of these http://www.timbren.com/ses-kits.htm to keep the truck level when towing my 7500 lb travel trailer.

I will say it has been stated at Cumminsforum.Com that guys changing from 265's to 35" mudders are seeing a 1-2 MPG loss due to the weight of the tires no matter what their gearing ratio is. Those guys say the 35" mudders are about 50+ lbs more per tire compared to an all terrain.

h20king    794

I will be replacing my stock 265/70/17 when they wear out with some 295/70/17's. I will mount on the stock wheels and am not concerned towing with my Cummins.

I am thinking about leveling my truck and installing some of these http://www.timbren.com/ses-kits.htm to keep the truck level when towing my 7500 lb travel trailer.

I will say it has been stated at Cumminsforum.Com that guys changing from 265's to 35" mudders are seeing a 1-2 MPG loss due to the weight of the tires no matter what their gearing ratio is. Those guys say the 35" mudders are about 50+ lbs more per tire compared to an all terrain.

Keep me posted on what you go with for suspension as I will probably follow suit.As far as wheels I am thinking on going with 18" wheels and a 275/70/18 tires.......................H

Big Po    1

Hey Carter you should check into the Carli Suspension leving kit for the Dodge Cummins trucks. They specialize in Dodge Cummins suspension. Your truck will tow just fine...AND ride like a Cadilac! The kit is about $800 or so, but it comes with new progressive-rate coil springs, new front shocks, and all the front end components you'll need.

Carter13    69

Po,

I have checked out the Carli Starter Kit but it is $1200 and out of my range. They do have the other kit for around $700. I saw Thuren has a 2.8" kit for $329.00 which is more my price range especially since my 2500 is a pavement princess.

Hijack over now back to the original topic. :thumbsup:

Edited by Carter13

duramat    462

Update; Getting tires now, will post pics soon! :)

duramat    462

Went with 18" wheels KMC's "Monster's" http://www.kmcwheels...id=3&groupid=36#

Its an attention grabber, Ive been pulled over twice. The last time was for a "cracked windshield..."

post-50-0-61388100-1323789079_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-85777600-1323789091_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-70842100-1323789099_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-07930600-1323789109_thumb.jpg

Edited by duramat

DarksideR    1,679

Such a prompt update Dura!

:)

duramat    462

Such a prompt update Dura!

:)

Its been on my "to do list" for a while LOL

islander033    2

Very nice Dura!

Now match your trailer rims to the truck... :2guns:

WakeDoc    471

Dura ya ain't gansta until you sling that bling onto the boat

gallery_66_113_9133.jpg

SLING da BLING!!!

LOL

The truck looks GREAT with the Black wheels, doesn't take any twisting of my arm when it comes to black paint, you considering blacking out the rest of the truck. Want to do it with this truck but, just never seem to have the time to do it.

Packrat    13

Does anyone know the brand name and type of the rims like the one Wakedoc has in the above picture on his boat trailer?

duramat    462

Sling the bling...LMAO Maybe sometime down the road..I still gotta bling my enclosed trailer with some new shoes. I should of bought stock in Les Schwab, Ive spent a fortune on them the past couple of years (Truck, Burban, Boat). I am kicking the idea of powder coating the original 16" rims black and putting them on the Duramax