Shadybrook Surfer

When is the water too cold to go out for you?

When is the water too cold to go out for you? We were out this weekend in 17/62 air and 13/54 water.... Brrrr....

Edited by Spur Valley Surfer

duramat    462

If it wasnt for my back being all jacked up I would ride the season out more but I have been out of commission and I think will be for the rest of the season. ;)

However.....I'd make an excellent flagger! Anyone?

elc    2

bigshow... that is some dedication!

Bigshow    0

With a dry suit it really wasn't that bad. The air temp was about 35. Water was still over 40.

Kramer    0

Went barefooting in only a wetsuit and a heater(and a hat) in january in Janesville, WI. Water was 32F(flowing pretty good) and air 25F. Now that was pretty damn cold...

riverdog    0

Water is usually 56-58 at the start and end of my season. Still 65 , sweet. Got a couple of more weeks.

All I can say is
...pure insanity...

That video is insane!! I love wakeboarding, but I do have my limits! Here in NC we usually end the season around Oct 31st. Then start back up in April. Lucky us, we have 2 major nuclear power plants in the area and the first and last part of the season we hit those lakes and so all of our riding where the return water comes out after cooling off the rods. Water gets about 90 degrees so it is bearable. After a set jump back in the boat, take the heater snorkle out and warm up!

WakeDoc    471

We ride normal Feb. thru Nov. maybe a wetsuit day or two and usually catch a day like the pics below at least once a month during Dec, and Jan. Basically we ride all year, everything is bigger and better in Texas! Including the thunder storms, did you see the last one on the news they named it Ike... ;)

The coldest we usually brave is high 50's low-low 60's

The video is nuts

Ed is CRAZY i've met him!

Oh and the pics were taken on Jan. 1st 2006

SANY0681.JPG

SANY0682.JPG

MarineTech    0

This year we started March 30th when the water temp hit 43. Anything is fair game once the ice is off the river. We'll ski with shortie wetsuits from the end of Sept. through mid October, then switch to long suits through about mid November unless we get really cold snaps. When we had outboard ski boats the season never ended if there was a warm Dec. or Jan day.......but we were 20/30 years younger and could do dock or shallow water starts and hardly get wet and didn't have to winterize the outboard. New Jersey isn't the coldest state, but not the hottest either and ya' gotta ski when you can. ;)

Ken W

islander033    2

Just went out yesterday and the water temp was 60F.

Thanks to closed toe boots and a full lenght wet suit it wasn't all that bad.

duramat    462

I got a chance to get out last week and surf for a minute, it was 65F and the water felt perfect for trunk'n. It was nice

islander033    2
I got a chance to get out last week and surf for a minute, it was 65F and the water felt perfect for trunk'n. It was nice

Thanks for that Duramat,

this is what my reality is now.

post-115-1222385088_thumb.jpg

We plan on riding all the way up to November. Been saving the heated lakes for last, but I think mid October we will be heading that way.