Sporty

Custom center tank fat sac ballast install

Sporty    4

So I have been looking at the giant space that is in front of the fuel tank that must be where factory center tanks are installed? I was in there as I took out my fuel tank to clean up the bilge from last summers V-Drive emptying. (Split hose)

After pulling the tank and crawling around in that space, I decided that would be a good candidate for some ballast. I measured it up and much to my surprize I actually have a bag from my stern drive that fits almost perfect. I also have the factory ballast puppy that is pretty much doing nothing sitting in the hull.

Well its a long winter in Canada and we have time on our hands so away I go on another project I didn't plan on.

Had a great sled ride in eyeball deep powder yesterday so today is a day in the garage.

Pics to follow, just in for a snack! Maybe a beer too!

Sporty    4

Ok, Finished and on my second beer. Newcastle Brown today. First thing was to drill hull for new vent/overflow. Tape off area, measure, drill pilot hole first, run the holesaw in reverse untill thru gelcoat, then nice and slow, with light pressure and there is another hole.

Then clean hull around nole with acetone and a nice bead of 5200 around the fitting and install.

post-899-0-36791500-1300063033_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-42988900-1300063052_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-95545600-1300063077_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-60974700-1300063146_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-20723100-1300063167_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-24895300-1300063184_thumb.jpg

Sporty    4

Next drill hole thu floor for vent\drain hose. Then position bag with hose attached to the front and route hose thru floor and attach to checkvalve and thru hull. Fill with air and check fit.

My bag measured about 24x12x56 about 580 lbs. If I was doing total custom I would make it 27x14x60 for 820 lbs!

Next install fuel tank and reinstall all mounting tabs and brackets. Scary, boats are pretty much held together with a bunch of wood screws!

Next mount puppy and wire up to exsisting wires that run right past! Run hoses and hit the switch. All good.

Reinstall custom shoe\sandal cage and bolt down the floor. Vacuume, put away tools, wipe down, have another Newcastle.

Next, project, snowblow the darn driveway again!

post-899-0-37685400-1300063411_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-88636000-1300063427_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-78886700-1300063770_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-79183000-1300063786_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-72015900-1300063810_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-80911300-1300063846_thumb.jpg

post-899-0-45987700-1300063880_thumb.jpg

h20king    794

nice job and great write up................H

duffymahoney    10

Nice work. Can't wait to see what it does to the wave!

Sporty    4

Nice work. Can't wait to see what it does to the wave!

Thanks guys. I am thinking it should lengthen the pocket somewhat.

I also threw 6 additional Pop's beside the fuel tank. 2 in front and 4 beside. Should help as well.

Great thing is, if it does not improve the length of the wave I just don't have to fill it.

WakeDoc    471

Great install...:thumbsup:...had someone ask me about doing this awhile back.

On another note, did I miss the mod for the basket in the 5th pic?

Sporty    4

Great install...:thumbsup:...had someone ask me about doing this awhile back.

On another note, did I miss the mod for the basket in the 5th pic?

Not sure if I ever posted that one. I built that last spring just before we went to the lake for the summer, just welded up abunch of expanded aluminum. Seemed like a wasted space. As you know, all the ballast kind of takes up a lot of normal storage.

Hey Sporty, I always like seeing your how-to threads.

When you have time and I will the Newcastle Brown or what ever kind of beers you want - I will be taking out my hard tanks out and installing 1100# bag in the port and 400# in the other side. Your expertise and knowledge would be be awesome. Also, just picked up my stereo equipment too :construction:

Name your beer...

Bigcatpt    408

Nice write up Sporty!!!

Love the sandal cage!!!

I am trying to figure out where you mounted the ballast puppy??? Is that on top of the fuel tank? Was that grey board across there that you mounted it to or did you put that in???

Thanks!

Sporty    4

Hey Sporty, I always like seeing your how-to threads.

When you have time and I will the Newcastle Brown or what ever kind of beers you want - I will be taking out my hard tanks out and installing 1100# bag in the port and 400# in the other side. Your expertise and knowledge would be be awesome. Also, just picked up my stereo equipment too :construction:

Name your beer...

Where are you total? Ahh beer, the universal currancy!

Sporty    4

Nice write up Sporty!!!

Love the sandal cage!!!

I am trying to figure out where you mounted the ballast puppy??? Is that on top of the fuel tank? Was that grey board across there that you mounted it to or did you put that in???

Thanks!

Hi Big.

That grey board is what holds the gas tank in from the factory at the front. There is about 6" between it and the floor, easy spot to mount puppy to. You cound probably mount 4 of them there with a bit of plumbing. Or 16 of them if you were to build a "shelf" above the fuel tank. There is lots of room between the tank and the floor. Or Centurion could have designed the tank properly and given us some fuel capacity!

duffymahoney    10

So how long till a custom sac is installed? Lol! I end up doing projects twice because I don't do the best or biggest the first time. I have learned my lesson and now try to do the biggest-best the first time to save me some money.

desotodave    0

Hi Big.

That grey board is what holds the gas tank in from the factory at the front. There is about 6" between it and the floor, easy spot to mount puppy to. You cound probably mount 4 of them there with a bit of plumbing. Or 16 of them if you were to build a "shelf" above the fuel tank. There is lots of room between the tank and the floor. Or Centurion could have designed the tank properly and given us some fuel capacity!

Arrgh, the dreaded fuel supply issue!!! I just don't understand why they can't put a larger gas tank in.

Where are you total? Ahh beer, the universal currancy!

Lol, beer is almost up there with gold :cheers:

I live in Vancouver and the boat is in Poco

May go snowboarding on friday up in whistler if thit is not raining

Edited by Totalperformance