Bigcatpt

Need a new tow rig

Big Po    1

Nice Rover. Always wanted one, but never got one since I use my truck bed too much to justify an SUV.

And Tank222, as far as a GM IFS system goes....It will NEVER be as strong as a solid axle.....EVER. The ring & pinion are smaller, the differential is smaller, the CV shafts connect to the axle housing with small bolts (no where near as strong as a solid shaft), and the hubs take all the abuse when turning when in 4wd..... There is no possible way to make a Duramax the Number 1 competitor until you do a Solid Axle Swap. But I don't feel like buying a new $50K truck, then dropping another $6K-$8K for a SAS kit and Dynatrac Pro 60 front axle. If someone did, it would be a very solid competitor.

Dodge might not have the best body, or the nicest interior.....but is the hardest working truck on the road. Just ask any farmer what his truck of choice is....over 50% will say Dodge Cummins.

Also, that stock Allison is a good transmission, but it HATES anything over 500 rwhp. It will nuke in a minute on a hard boosted launch. So will my truck's stock 68RFE 6-speed auto tranny once you get past 550 rwhp.

Edited by Big Po

MN_Surfer    0

Poo Poo is correct about the solid axle. :thumbsup: Also, keep in mind that there is no reason to have 500+hp just to haul a boat up a mountain. The more mods you do the more problems you will have. I just picked up a new tow rig last week.....2009 E350 Van with the Quigley 4x4 conversion. I am flying someone to Florida to pick it up for me on Thursday. It has the V-10 in it. I will be using it next week and will let you know how it pulls the Avy.

post-523-1282658415_thumb.jpg

duramat    462
Then we could be Duramat and Duracat....... Too much like Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.... LMAO!

Just so long as I'm tweddle Dee! :thumbsup:

Nice RR!!! As for me, and do not hate, I use a GL 350 to pull my ride. 4Matic drive and it comes on when needed. No problems and it pulls the boat as if it wasn't there. 7500 towing rate and since it is a diesel, I get great mileage. I am currently looking at the 2011 model, but thinking about waiting for the newer motor in 2012.

I'm with the Chevy/GMC fans on here. It has been a while since I truck shopped but chevy just seems to have the softest ride, nicest interior, and most reliability. I've been super happy with both chevys I've owned and drove each of them until they were well over 100k and 10+ years old. I looked into dodge when I bought my current truck and I just didn't like the interior and the transmissions were suspect at the time. I know they have changed a lot though. Bigcat, if your boat is the heaviest thing you pull then you may be able to make a few mods to your truck if you're looking to save some cash. But with 130k miles it may not be worth it. I have a 1/2 ton chevy and felt like it needed a little more HP with the new Falcon. I can't afford a new truck so I ended up putting in a cat-back exhaust, cold air intake, and a custom tune from Nelson performance. I didn't get huge gains but it will pull most hills without too much trouble now. I can usually keep 60+ going over parleys and didn't have any problem climbing the 3 sisters going to Flaming Gorge.

Also, I read an article recently (I think it was in Car and Driver). They were comparing the new half ton trucks....ford, dodge, toyota, nissan, chevy/gmc. GMC took the prize. The new half ton trucks have WAY more HP than older models....even with the same engine. I don't know the technical details of how they do it. But all of them would have enough torque and HP to pull an avy up any of the utah hills. My 1999 5.3L chevy had 270HP stock and the new ones are well over 300HP I think. Not sure if you have the budget for buying new but might be worth considering if you want to keep the nice ride of the half ton and get a little better gas mileage when you're not pulling.

That being said. It would be very nice to have a diesel though so you could pretty much pull anything you want. Just throwing out different options. My next truck will most likely be a 3/4 ton GMC diesel.

Big Po    1
Nice RR!!! As for me, and do not hate, I use a GL 350 to pull my ride. 4Matic drive and it comes on when needed. No problems and it pulls the boat as if it wasn't there. 7500 towing rate and since it is a diesel, I get great mileage. I am currently looking at the 2011 model, but thinking about waiting for the newer motor in 2012.

My mom is looking for a new diesel SUV. I showed her the new 2011 Mercedes M350 BlueTec....but I didn't even notice the bigger model (GL350 BlueTec). Thanks for the tidbit of info Dave. I'll shoot her a link to their website.

tank222    2
Nice Rover. Always wanted one, but never got one since I use my truck bed too much to justify an SUV.

And Tank222, as far as a GM IFS system goes....It will NEVER be as strong as a solid axle.....EVER. The ring & pinion are smaller, the differential is smaller, the CV shafts connect to the axle housing with small bolts (no where near as strong as a solid shaft), and the hubs take all the abuse when turning when in 4wd..... There is no possible way to make a Duramax the Number 1 competitor until you do a Solid Axle Swap. But I don't feel like buying a new $50K truck, then dropping another $6K-$8K for a SAS kit and Dynatrac Pro 60 front axle. If someone did, it would be a very solid competitor.

Dodge might not have the best body, or the nicest interior.....but is the hardest working truck on the road. Just ask any farmer what his truck of choice is....over 50% will say Dodge Cummins.

Also, that stock Allison is a good transmission, but it HATES anything over 500 rwhp. It will nuke in a minute on a hard boosted launch. So will my truck's stock 68RFE 6-speed auto tranny once you get past 550 rwhp.

Deffintaly not true about the farmers and dodges, or at least in the tri state area around me. My fiance's grand father owns a agriculture company and her father manages one as well and they deffintaly dont drive dodges.

MN_Surfer    0
Deffintaly not true about the farmers and dodges, or at least in the tri state area around me. My fiance's grand father owns a agriculture company and her father manages one as well and they deffintaly dont drive dodges.

I agree with you 100%. I grew up in a small farm town in Southern MN (Eyota, pop.1400). All of the Farmers were in Fords and Chevy/GMC's. One thing to note is how much bigger a crew cab is in a Ford though. Not a Ford guy, but they do have alot more room in the back seat....without having to have a "mega" cab.

Big Po    1

Well....around here, and everywhere I've ever been about half, or more drive Cummins for pulling their stock trailers. There's a few that drive Fords, but the rest are Chevy. It could just be the diversity of our geographical localations. There's alot less rich people (especially farmers) in Alabama, than there are in Cali, Tennessee, Texas, etc...

Edited by Big Po

islander033    2

08 Dodge 1500 Laramie 5.7L vs 09 F150 XLT 5.4L, both crew cabs, short box, 4X4, stock. (have both right now)

Power-->Dodge by far

Back seat room--> Ford by far

Gas Mileage--> Ford is a bit better

Turning radius--> Dodge by far

Towing-->Dodge by far

Clearance-->Dodge, a couple of inches.

I won't comment on the interior fit/finish and comfort because they are not at the same level of trim.

Personally I hate that Ford.....it is a minivan with a box, at best.

Big Po    1
08 Dodge 1500 Laramie 5.7L vs 09 F150 XLT 5.4L, both crew cabs, short box, 4X4, stock. (have both right now)

Power-->Dodge by far

Back seat room--> Ford by far

Gas Mileage--> Ford is a bit better

Turning radius--> Dodge by far

Towing-->Dodge by far

Clearance-->Dodge, a couple of inches.

I won't comment on the interior fit/finish and comfort because they are not at the same level of trim.

Personally I hate that Ford.....it is a minivan with a box, at best.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Never heard it put quite that way before. LOL

LakeSurfer    10

Maybe a little off topic, but in an ideal world this is what I want: a new Ford F250/Chevy HD 2500 conversion to Excursion. I am sure other people do them, but here is a guy in OK. You get a ton of room and the diesel engine. They are pricey at around $60K.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/2008harley...nexcursion.html

tank222    2

There is a surban on ebay that just went 2010 with a duramax pretty sick. My trans builder is getting ready to do one.

I have an '08 Chev 1500 Crew cab with the 6.0L gas engine. I've towed 30'+ travel trailers passing other vehicles in the mountains. Towing my Avy is easy with decent towing mileage (11mpg in the mountains, 13 in the prairie at ~65 to 70mph)... like Canada Jason, also have a heavy foot.

Non towing highway - 20mpg

City (remember heavy foot) - 13mpg

I chose my Silverado because of rear seat room, softer ride and over 10,000lb towing capacity. The Dodge was small on rear leg room, which would have made it impossible to have a rear facing infant seat. The Ford drivers seat felt like I was driving a semi, I couldn't rest my arm on the window ledge because it was so far away. The Chev drivers cockpit feels more like a car I guess.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Yukon or other large SUV this fall/winter. Would love the Range Rover or a BlueTEC GL350.

Big Po    1
There is a surban on ebay that just went 2010 with a duramax pretty sick. My trans builder is getting ready to do one.

What?

tank222    2
Maybe a little off topic, but in an ideal world this is what I want: a new Ford F250/Chevy HD 2500 conversion to Excursion. I am sure other people do them, but here is a guy in OK. You get a ton of room and the diesel engine. They are pricey at around $60K.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/2008harley...nexcursion.html

My comment...

?? What didnt you understand.

Big Po    1
My comment...

?? What didnt you understand.

After re-reading it several times, I finally get it. It was just a bit choppy and out of order for me to initially make it a complete thought. Sorry.

tank222    2

There is also a guy doing a duralade, escalade with a duramax in it. If I had room to park another trailer at my house I would deffintaly buy one.

elc    2
I have an '08 Chev 1500 Crew cab with the 6.0L gas engine. I've towed 30'+ travel trailers passing other vehicles in the mountains. Towing my Avy is easy with decent towing mileage (11mpg in the mountains, 13 in the prairie at ~65 to 70mph)... like Canada Jason, also have a heavy foot.

Non towing highway - 20mpg

City (remember heavy foot) - 13mpg

I chose my Silverado because of rear seat room, softer ride and over 10,000lb towing capacity. The Dodge was small on rear leg room, which would have made it impossible to have a rear facing infant seat. The Ford drivers seat felt like I was driving a semi, I couldn't rest my arm on the window ledge because it was so far away. The Chev drivers cockpit feels more like a car I guess.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Yukon or other large SUV this fall/winter. Would love the Range Rover or a BlueTEC GL350.

Do you know if the the 6.0 has the same tranny as the 5.3?

Big Po    1
Do you know if the the 6.0 has the same tranny as the 5.3?

The half-ton GM's should all have the 4L60E tranny. That's what was in my '99 Z71 with a 5.3L

Edited by Big Po