Bigcatpt

Need a new tow rig

Bigcatpt    408

I need a new tow rig! My Ford F150 is wearing out and costing a lot lately in repairs. Its an 02 with 130000 miles on it.

I am looking at getting a diesel but don't know a lot about them.

I am apprehensive about asking this question because I know everyone loves their truck and there are some serious brand competition out there.

So I am looking primarily at the Chev Silverado 2500, GMC Sierra 2500, and the Ford F250. Have not really looked at the Dodge lineup.

I need the quad cab cause with 4 kids we are always towing the boat with 6 people in the cab. I think that dodge only recently went with the mega cab and before that had a very small quad cab. I cant have a small quad cab.

I have been looking at 2006-2008 year models cause I only have about $30K + or - to drop on this new ride.

I am hearing that sometime around 2007 all of the diesels were required to have some emissions type stuff put on them (maybe called DPF"s Diesel particulate filters or something like that). From what I have heard they decrease power, performance, and worst gas mileage. What can you tell me about this?

So with that information, and without starting a pissing contest about how ford is better than chevy, help give me useful info about why I should look at one brand over the other. Please have useful info and not just "cause mine is lifted and sounds loud and looks purdy".

Thanks in advance.

Bigcatpt    408

Ok just spent some time looking. I guess Dodge has some megacabs from the 06 07 timeframe so they are now in the running too...

I need a new tow rig! My Ford F150 is wearing out and costing a lot lately in repairs. Its an 02 with 130000 miles on it.

Cause this isn't gonna start a debate! My 06 Denali just clicked 180k (115m) - all it's ever had done is fluid changes, brakes and tires :) (It's likely on fire in the driveway)

I'm also on the lookout for a used diesel (will never buy new again), quad cab etc. your right about the 2007 emission change's - at least on GM's, the power went down, and the gas mileage went up. I've always liked the duramax\allison combo - and liked the interior of the GM's

That being said, Ford' a pretty rugged truck and holds up pretty good over time.

Ideally - I'd get the Dodge Mega cab with the 6.7L...

my dad worked for ford for 30 years.

we have a 06 f250 and love it.

ill type what he has to say tomorrow when he gets home from work.

i know that ford was having recalls with some f250's, but im not sure why or what it was, or what year.

Big Po    1

2006 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins and a 6-speed manual would be an awesome tow rig for ya. As long as you take care of it, a 5.9 Cummins can run for 500,000+ miles. Seen many of them over 600,000+ in meduim-duty flatbed trucks. Seen several in Dodge pickups with 400,000-500,000 miles on the odo, and original motor.

Been around diesels my whole life. You don't want a Ford PowerStroke, b/c nobody wants to work on them....Not even the dealerships. And parts cost you out the wazoo!

Chevy's with their Duramax is an okay motor, but a BIOTCH to work on, b/c everything is cram-packed in their...and parts are also really expensive.

Big Po    1
my dad worked for ford for 30 years.

we have a 06 f250 and love it.

ill type what he has to say tomorrow when he gets home from work.

i know that ford was having recalls with some f250's, but im not sure why or what it was, or what year.

'03-'07 was the years of the horrible 6.0L PowerStroke engine. I have never been a fan of the 6.0L. I have a '96 F-250 with a 7.3L PowerStroke, and it just started having problems a few years ago when I parked it with almost 300,000 miles on the odometer.

The 6.0L PowerStroke was having headgasket issues, and that was 1 of the recalls. Not sure if there were more than that. But I know they had to fix a TON of 6.0's. The guy with the lawn business next to us had one for about 9 months. In that time, he had to replace 16 injectors, and the head gaskets......The truck still never ran right.

I have a buddy with a 2004 F-350 6.0L dually. I refuse to help him work on it. Not b/c I have a Cummins, or that I think I'm too good....I just don't want the headache from idiotic designing, and cram-packing parts in there.

Big Po    1
Cause this isn't gonna start a debate! My 06 Denali just clicked 180k (115m) - all it's ever had done is fluid changes, brakes and tires :) (It's likely on fire in the driveway)

That's impressive for an '06 Chevy. My mom's '03 Z71 Suburban has right under 100K, and has been having issues for about the last 30K with hub bearings and brakes. I refused to buy a new Chevy, but one of these days I might buy a new Tahoe Z71, and black it out with black wheels and brush guards for a daily driver, and park my Ram 2500 and use it for farm, fun, and towing.

I'm also on the lookout for a used diesel (will never buy new again), quad cab etc. your right about the 2007 emission change's - at least on GM's, the power went down, and the gas mileage went up. I've always liked the duramax\allison combo - and liked the interior of the GM's

The 2007 Dodge 6.7 emissions equipment is horrendous. I can't believe they never recalled any of them. I would know.....I have one. LOL

And as for the power/MPG statement....You got that backwords. It's they upped the power, and the MPG's went to crap..... Until you remove all the emissions equipment.

That being said, Ford' a pretty rugged truck and holds up pretty good over time.

Fords are pretty rugged.....As long as you don't get a 6.0L PowerStroke. You have to baby those, b/c they're "sensitive" and you wouldn'd want to hurt their feelings. LOL

Ideally - I'd get the Dodge Mega cab with the 6.7L...

Good for you. I like seeing some other Cummins fans in here. What you need to do, is get a 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7, not a 2008 or newer (they have TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system...and it never acts right, and the little light comes on all the time). Once you get one, call me and I can tell you what and where to buy to remove all emissions equipment and and the EGR system, so you can be getting 20+ MPG's like me and my dad...and save you some coin. He has a 2008, and I have a 2007.5....both Ram 2500 4x4 6.7's.

Edited by Big Po

Foiler    1

Later model duramax allison is what I want! But wouldn't mind any diesel other than the Ford 6.0.

Joe B    17
I need the quad cab cause with 4 kids we are always towing the boat with 6 people in the cab. I think that dodge only recently went with the mega cab and before that had a very small quad cab. I cant have a small quad cab.

4 kids just like me. I too would love a PU with a diesel but just not a great idea for comfort and sanity with 4 kids towing.

For $30k, a 2007 Denali XL with 6.2l gasser engine is what's on my short list. Escalades are upper 30's and virtually the same truck.

David    0

I purchased a 2003 ford f350 7.3L diesel at the beginning of the summer. I am very impressed with it so far. I am getting 11.5 mpg towing the boat and 21 empty on the highway. The trick is finding 7.3l in good condition. It took me several months of hunting to find the right truck. Everyone 6.0L owner I have talked to said they had problems, I would avoid the 6.0L at all cost. Good luck on the truck hunt.

Big Po    1
I purchased a 2003 ford f350 7.3L diesel at the beginning of the summer. I am very impressed with it so far. I am getting 11.5 mpg towing the boat and 21 empty on the highway. The trick is finding 7.3l in good condition. It took me several months of hunting to find the right truck. Everyone 6.0L owner I have talked to said they had problems, I would avoid the 6.0L at all cost. Good luck on the truck hunt.

You got one of the lucky early model '03's that still had the 7.3L PSD in it. Good find. And those 7.3's will run forever if you take care of them, keep the oil changed, and let it warm up before you hoss on it. Those piston rings can sometimes be sensative.

Bigcatpt    408
4 kids just like me. I too would love a PU with a diesel but just not a great idea for comfort and sanity with 4 kids towing.

For $30k, a 2007 Denali XL with 6.2l gasser engine is what's on my short list. Escalades are upper 30's and virtually the same truck.

I good thought. I guess I am just used to cramming us all in the truck and going. I guess I could also look at a Ford Excursion with a Diesel in it. Then I have towing power and family room.......

I just like having a truck that I can throw shizzle in the back and go.

Edited by Bigcatpt

LakeSurfer    10

X2. I have been keeping my eye out for one.

I've owned Suburbans for the past 12+ years, now on my second; a 2008 1500. They are great for ski trips, soccer tourneys, golf trips, loading up the dogs etc but kinda suck to tow my boat with. Certainly functional and therefore a good crossover truck as I do much more than just tow with it but if I were getting a vehicle, as a primary tow truck, I'd get the crew cab F250 or big Dodge (either in diesel).

T

This is our 3rd full size GM SUV (Tahoes, and Denali XL)

With 5 kids, I wish they would make a 2500HD suburban with the duramax. I just can't do an excursion....

Big Po    1

Shady....They were once taling about offering that as an option for the 2500 Suburbans. It never became a reality. My dad wants to buy one of those for my mom, but they don't exist. he's thinking about the Mercedes ML350 Bluetech diesel, or Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. Both are the same 3.0L diesel engine since Dimler Chrysler merged with Benze back a few years ago.

1911    4

As a die-hard ford man, this is a tough question to answer. I would search for a 00-03 f-250 with the 7.3l. The 6.0 will probably not give you problems, but it is not worth the risk. I have a 00 F-350 dually that has been very dependable. You can also look at an 08 F-250. There are some out there in your price range. They have a lot of power, but the fuel milage is not good. If you remove all the smog equipment, the get good fuel milage. Also, Ford transmissions are not that great. Many have to rebuild their tranny a couple times before the engine ever gets tired.

If it were me, I would look for an early ford (which will be your cheapest option) or a dodge mega cab. they have so much room, and the cummins are good engines.

Big Po    1

I wouldn't look at any Ford newer than 2003. Even the new Ford 6.7L Scorpion V-8 Diesel on a real world test only produced about 11-12 MPG unloaded, highway mileage with 1 person in the truck. That's horrible. I don't see how Ford can claim the best fuel economy of any diesel on the market? At least my stock (emissions intact) 6.7L Cummins was getting 14 mpg highway.... Then when I ripped all that restrictive crap off, and tuned it right (now pushing around 475 rwhp & over 1,000 ft. lbs. torque), I'm getting close to 18 highway (jacked up on 38" tires with 4.10 gears), and get about 15 around town.

I wouldn't get a Mega Cab....They're a waste of money. You will pay $5K more for a Mega than a crew, and you only get about 7 more inches of room BEHIND the back seat. Grown adults sit in the back seat of my truck and there is more than enough leg-room. Who needs a backseat to recline???

Edited by Big Po

Shady....They were once taling about offering that as an option for the 2500 Suburbans.

Yea, I read that on a GM blog somewhere about the frame changes to accommodate the transmission having to be too significant to make it feasible. I'm not sure why, cause if it works in the pickup body, you'd think they could make it work on the burban, just a lifted body or something...

duramat    462

I say Duramax with personalized plates "DURACAT".......just saying

:)