Bigcatpt

Need a new tow rig

Big Po    1
Yea, I read that on a GM blog somewhere about the frame changes to accommodate the transmission having to be too significant to make it feasible. I'm not sure why, cause if it works in the pickup body, you'd think they could make it work on the burban, just a lifted body or something...

GM, now known as "Government Motors", is one of the cheapest companies on the planet. If some change will require them to make a whole new this or that, then they won't do it.....Even if it's something in high demand. Unless they can jerry-rig it somehow by making a new cross-member or change a bracket....They ain't doing it. Which I would see where a DuraSmack-powered 2500 Suburban Z71 would be pretty sweet tow rig for the boat or RV, and the whole family.

If you have less than 4 kids, you, the wife/GF, and the boat will all fit well in a 3/4-ton CREW CAB diesel pickup with one of those hard tanneau covers on the back to keep all your stuff locked-up, dry, and out of the way in the bed.

Edited by Big Po

wakewife    0

There are soo many options to choose from...but we have the following and both have been great rigs for towing and anything else we want to do

04 Sierra 1500

02 Yukon Denali with 135K never a major problem and is a beast on the road.

The yukon is my "commute" everyday driver and I love that suv....hoping to get at least 200k out of her before we get another....it can easily tow any boat with a load of people. I would buy one again in a second.

Troy    234

I want an F250 so bad I can't stand it. The 6.0L (mainly the later years 06-07) are fine as long as they didn't/don't have a tuner on them. 6.4L's are fine and get decent mileage once you take the smog crap off and all the research I have done on the 6.7L is showing upper teens/low 20's for mileage factory. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6...-them-here.html http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/20...onomy-test.html

Edited by Troy

islander033    2

My next tow pig will be diesel. I'm not very excited about the new urea injection on some of the newer models though...

Big Po    1

You couldn't give me a Ford from 2003-up......Well, you might could give me one.....But I'd turn around and trade it in on a new Cummins.

Wow when did this thread start, last night, and its already on the second page! All you need to do is throw in a couple SUV options then jump back and forth a bit and you will give big po a run for his money.

Now for the trucks my take they all have their pros and cons, I was a long time Ford guy and I now drive an 07 Chev Duramax 2500 Silverado (Quad Cab). The reason I went with the chev was purely due to dimensions I needed a truck that could get into a 6-4 parkade and I wanted a diesel that rode like a half ton. I went from an 04 F150 Lariat and this cheve rides every bit as smooth. The big diverence is the Chevs have an independent front end suspension in their 3/4 ton and ford and dodge do not. My Dad runs a 3/4 ton Ford diesel and it is a much rough ride, also his truck sits about 2 inches taller so won't fit in the parkade. As for power and mileage if you want mileage you won't get power, and vise versa, mine is the new body style and there is a bunch of particulate filters for sulfur and emission control that kicked in when they moved to the new style but I can pass with no problem climbing a hill with the Avy in tow so although mileage isn't great the power is there. I am getting about 22mpg unloaded and 13ish with the boat but I have a heavy foot. Like the boats drive a few to see what you like I have friend with cumins and powerstrokes and we all swear by our trucks, but if you are going used try to get something with warranty diesels are expensive if there are issues, mine was 8 months old so it had already taken the initial hit of depreciation.

I bought at texas auto direct (ebay) just google them, so did a budy of mine and they were good to deal with if your comfortable with buying a rig online I attached a pic.

Oh and just to add to the discussion one of my guys at work here just bought a new F150 and the cab space in those is unbelievable if you are still considering Gas but that cab only started in 09.

post-1474-1282596158_thumb.jpg

Big Po    1

Only because we are discussing a subject that I happen to pretty-much study. The wonderful world of diesels.

The Duramax is a good riding truck...but that IFS is not very strong (at least not for me and what I put my trucks through). I have blown several front CV shafts in GM products. I actually had it down to an art for a while there (I was always a GM fan, and a Cummins fan).

You have it wrong with diesels.... The more power you have, usually the better fuel mileage you get. Because the heavy truck doesn't have to strain as much to get rolling.

I have seen 700+ rwhp 5.9L Cummins Ram 2500 4x4's getting around 28 MPG highway.......unloaded, of course.

I have seen an 850 rwhp 6.7L Cummins (my buddy Ronnie's truck) that is getting 23-25 MPG highway unloaded.

A Duramax can do that as well...It just takes ALOT more money and parts to make it produce that kinda power.

duramat    462

My inlaws are my mechanics and they know GM/Chevy like the back of their hand. My wifes bro was the #1 Top GM Ceritified Mechanic in the West a few years ago, so I went with the system :surfing2: Theyve also saved me alot of coin when Ive been needing a fix. The wife is more than happy to make a batch of cookies or pie for them.

3/4 Ton's are the way to go IMO. I can pretty much pull anything and not have to worry about the suspension or power. My 04 3/4 burban with the 6.0 has been a good one as well. Would even be better with a DMAX engine in it LOL

Them Excursions are nice, Id go with one of them too if I could

duramat    462

Canada J, Thats a nice pic! I like the red

zetchvp    0

I have had 2 F350 dually 6.0 Fords, and would never recommend them to anyone. I have a had a laundry list of issues, I guess they are kind of my fault for treating my truck, well, like a truck. I use them in the snow, duck hunting, for towing the toys, all things that you buy a truck for. The first '06 blew an oil pressure line at 11,000 miles and Ford fixed it, only to have it happen again at about 30,000 miles. That truck got passed on to become one of our work trucks and worked out fine for driving 55 MPH and only on the highway... The second '06 had the same oil pressure line problem, but this time it waited 'til 17,000 miles. Steering box and all the power steering, batteries and an alternator, injectors at two different times, one of those times the tip of an injector exploded and shot metal shrapnel, so they had my truck for 8 days making sure all was good. I've replaced the steering stabilizer twice...look up "Ford Death Wobble" and you can read some scary stories of what happens. Ever since the power steering/steering box issues my truck gets speed shakes from about 72-78 mph, which gets annoying after a while. Mix that with the awesome California Highways and it really makes for an exciting ride.

That being said, I know Ford makes some good trucks too. My bro has an '08 F250, different motor and newer body, and it has been pretty good. Other than an oil leak that he had to take in 2 different times, its been a solid truck. But, it has one of those nasty Exhaust System Cleaners that sounds like a dying giraffe when its on. My buddy has an older 7.3L and it is bulletproof and runs/rides better than mine even with 230K miles on it. His bro drives an '07 Dodge and that thing makes me want to buy a Ram. Open the hood of a Chevy or Ford and there is no space, not to mention you have to have a computer science degree to work on the motors. Open the Dodge hood and you see an engine and all the other things you would expect, without too much of the computer stuff. My pops has had Yukons/Tahoes and swore by them, and then traded for the long Ford Expedition because of the "Government Motors" deal. That thing is amazing. Huge inside, comfy ride and still can tow like a beast.

I think the best way to look at it is in pricing and options. Dodge is cheaper than Ford, Ford is usually cheaper than Chevy. As long as you steer clear from the 6.0L years of Ford, you can find a bad tush truck.

Bigcatpt    408
Wow when did this thread start, last night, and its already on the second page! All you need to do is throw in a couple SUV options then jump back and forth a bit and you will give big po a run for his money.

Not likely to happen. I am kinda different that Mo Fo Po. I am doing my research now, asking a lot of questions, and then will keep looking til I find what I want. You won't hear anything about my finances, down payments, how much I make per year, my credit scores, how I paid off the last one early, or payment plan options. I don't need a co-signer. I don't still live at home. I will drive myself to look at trucks no matter how far it is and won't insist they drive to me. I will ask for a test drive only after I have inspected the truck thoroughly. I don't need paperwork signed by my bank before hand. I don't need to buy a trailer separately. I won't tell you I am probably gonna buy xyz truck and then come back and disappoint you. I will buy it and then show you the pictures. If I call on a truck and the guy doesn't call me back then I will move on to the next. I will travel out of state, paying my own way, to purchase the right truck. I don't mind driving it back by myself. I don't need a shipping company. Maybe wherever I purchase it I can hook up with a crew member and get a surf set!!! :surfing2: :surfing2: :unknw:

Sorry Po! I had to.......... just could not resist You will live in Infamy forever....even though you finally bought a sweet boat!

I appreciate all the info shared so far. I have learned something. Keep it coming.

I am pretty set on it being a truck rather than a SUV. I appreciate the recommendations for the SUV's but I live in the mountains and I really do need a diesel! Almost every lake I go to (except for 1 or 2) I have to pull my rig up a canyon usually gaining 3000+ elevation. My Ford F150 does just fine on flat ground..... but up the canyons I get dragged down to 40 mph and its getting 8 MPG.

So I think I have ruled out Ford at this point, too many engine problems. Focusing in on Chevs, GMC, and Dodge at this point.

Big Po    1

Yeah, I'm aware........If I could go back to the minute before I decided to make that damn post, I would have done it totally different. FML

And as for Chevy & GMC....They're 99% the same truck. Just a few different badges and a different front clip.

And for the record I payed my own money, and did NOT need, nor did anyone co-sign with me.

Edited by Big Po

At the risk of angering big po and all the other dodge lovers out there all I need to say is drive the dodge and then drive the chev, there decision made enjoy your chevy :thumbsup:

duramat    462

DURACAT

Its available for the personalized plates

Im sold on it! DO IT! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Edited by duramat

Bigcatpt    408
DURACAT

Its available for the personalized plates

Im sold on it! DO IT! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Then we could be Duramat and Duracat....... Too much like Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.... LMAO!

Jackfly    0

My 2 cents.

Ford has the most room, best quad cab out there, but they ride like crap, lots of mech. issues.

Dodge will go forever, but has the worst interior on the planet, IMO.

GM is the most refined truck, quietest and best riding.

All of these trucks will have WAY more power then you will ever need to tow your rig. I actually think that a Suburban with the 6.0 gas engine is the perfect BOAT tow rig. My tahoe does pretty well with my 23', but you do slow down on hills. If GM would put in a 6 spd auto, then don't think you could beat them for boat hauling. (Actually, maybe the Denali has a 6 speed, not sure.)

I say don't rule out the SUV.

BUT if I were buying a deisel, I would buy a Chevy (or GMC). They are good trucks and would last you a long time for your needs.

tank222    2

The interior in the ford is sick and the ride is bouncy. The dodge cab is very small and needs the mega cab to compete with the ford, great motor poohey truck they fall apart quick. I sold my dodge for my chevy and will never go back, ifs front end is just as strong as sas when tweaked. The chevy is kinda in the middle. Allison is sick and the duramax makes awesome power. If your in my area I'll let you drive mine. 550+ rear wheel hp is awesome.

Kyle    0

I've owned all three, dodge cummings, ford powerstroke and chevy duramax. by far my favorite and best pulling rig was the duramax. One thing I liked about it was the 10k mile oil changes that was only half the quantity the ford required. The Allison transmission was awsome, compaired to dropping two new trannies in the ford. (also put a new motor in one)

If you look at the chevy make sure you get the LLY package, (after 04) it has the fuel lines on the outside of the head covers. The other version has them under the cover and if they leak, contaminates the oil.

The Dodge was a good truck as well, but Dodge uses a thinner gauge metal on their body and it is more suseptible to dents from hail or light bumps. in addition to the body supports wearing out.

I'll add that when I was driving desiels I put about 70k miles a year on one, lived ten miles down a gravel road, and hauled a 20 foot gooseneck with 5-6 horse or loaded with cattle on a regular basis.

GOOD LUCK

MN_Surfer    0

Ok, my $.02.....I have been very fortunate in that my father owns a car dealership (which I have never worked for). Just wanted to get that out of the way. I am not a trust fun baby. I am the V.P. of sales of a nation-wide construction company. I have had the opportunity to own them all; Ford, Chevy, GMC, Hummer, Dodge, Range Rover, Chevy 4500..... So I would highly recommend a GMC Diesel. Best looking, nicest ride, best mileage for a stock diesel. You don't need to do anything to it unless you want to chip it or change the exhaust. I would NOT recommend a Ford unless it is the old 7.3....the new 6.4 sucked so bad that they got rid of it and the new 6.7 hasn't had the best reviews. I just sold my 2009 F450 which I blew up with only 12000 miles on it...ford replaced the motor....the truck was in the shop 6 times after the motor was replaced. I am now towing with a 2010 F150 Platinum with a lift, and chipped...you are right it doesn't like big hills. My wifes 2008 Range Rover Sport pulls my Avy just as well as my truck...too bad her Range gets worse gas mileage though, especially when towing.

post-523-1282655286_thumb.jpg