islander033

Attitudes with different boat brands

islander033    2

On this last Monday I was out with my family (wife and 2, 4 year old, boys) and it was late in the day with the lake all chewed up by boats and jet skis. We anchored off in a known fishing area and dropped in some lines. This new x-star (in this instance) with about 10 people, all around 25 years old on it, went out of their way to weave through the boats that are fishing and attempt to 'swamp' everyone with their wake. All the while yelling and flipping everyone the bird for no apparent reason. It was difficult not to take this personally and engage them in one way or the other.

This isn't the first time I have seen questionable conduct from a high end boat on my lake. Where as the people that are out with lower end boats are nothing but a pleasure to be around.

Does there seem to be a direct relationship with people's poor or good attitude and the brand of boat they have. Or is it just me?

If you are trying to say that people with mastercrafts are a$$holes, then yes I would agree! Before any body starts railing on me about this im sure not all owners of those boats are that way just there snot nose punk ,silver spoon in mouth,douch bag kids!!!!!!!! :blink: Oh did I say that out loud?

islander033    2
If you are trying to say that people with mastercrafts are a$$holes, then yes I would agree! Before any body starts railing on me about this im sure not all owners of those boats are that way just there snot nose punk ,silver spoon in mouth,douch bag kids!!!!!!!! :blink: Oh did I say that out loud?

LOL....I think you did say that out loud.

I mostly agree, it seems like if vessel is being disrespectful on my lake, 75% of the time it is someone driving a MC, 20% would be a jet ski and then 5% would be others.

Oddly enough I've never met any Centurion owners that fall into the disrespectful category......yet.

WakeDoc    471

Nothing says douch like a bunch of 20 somethings in daddy's boat

steedracer    0

Well said, Ken! :D I think islander033's example has more to do with the age and group dynamics of those on board that x-star, vs. MC driver's as a whole. The issue I deal with where we boat is that the MC owner/drivers are simply awful at boat ettiquette and driver skills. They all seem to be older, have a lot of money, and probably are in their first boat (or so it appears). They come through towing tubes :blink: with x-45"s right through a pristine creek where boarders are set to ride, or send huge rollers down the channel via power turns when going to pick up their 8 yr. old who can't get up slaloming or boarding. Those are just a couple of examples (while Malibu's rule in north Nashville, our lake, east of nashville, seems to be 65% MC, 15% bu, 5% Cent., 5% tige, <5% supra/moomba, >5% SAN). I wish the local MC dealer would make them attend a driving class before they get the keys to their $100k wake machines!

Edited by steedracer

islander033    2
Well said, Ken! :blink: I think islander033's example has more to do with the age and group dynamics of those on board that x-star, vs. MC driver's as a whole. The issue I deal with where we boat is that the MC owner/drivers are simply awful at boat ettiquette and driver skills.

This seemed to be the case with the example that I had given.

I think that etiquette and actual skill (even if it is just loading and unloading the boat) on the water should be a large part of the boating exam instead of just the written test that we currently have up here.

zapisor    43
This seemed to be the case with the example that I had given.

I think that etiquette and actual skill (even if it is just loading and unloading the boat) on the water should be a large part of the boating exam instead of just the written test that we currently have up here.

I agree,

I actually would like to see some more enforcement, out a Wabamum there is a 12km/hr zone at moonlight bay. Every weekend some idiots wind up boarding or tubing or skiing and the rollers pound the boats that are tied to the dock. Last week there was a hero with a wakecraft performing about 100' from the dock.

MC kids are all about "Look at me in my dad's boat"

Centurions are about "Look at what I can do behind my boat"

Actually the boats I fear the most are the SeaDoo and Yamaha 20-23 footers, they seem to be the worst. Maybe becuse they are first time owners (and thats why they bought those pieces of crap).

WakeDoc    471

Used to the Wally's were in first owner type boats I/O's like Glastron, Tahoe, etc. and you could pretty much count on the fact that the wakeboard type boat owners knew what they were doing. There is a lake in Texas were the Wally's are in 90k wakeboard boats pulling tubes, power turning, taking two lanes on the boat ramp etc. have to watch out for everyone on that lake.

My biggest problem lately is A-HOLES throwing wakes in the no wake zones of boat ramp areas.

VaBeachBum    0

Are you guys seriously expecting all other boats to move aside for your wake opportunities? Sorry, ain't gonna happen. And seriously, what's wrong with power turning to pick up your 8 year old kid who has just fallen in a busy waterway? I'm not a parent, but I assume I'd be concerned for the safety of my child in the middle of the lake/river.

You know, all of us were first time boat owners once. Does anyone remember those times? We can't all be pros at the ramp. We can't all be expected to know the "rules" as wakeboarders see them.

And as far as tubing goes....yeah it's frustrating. But why can't someone with a $100k mastercraft pull a tuber?

You just can't expect everyone to move aside when they see our shiny boats. We have to share the water. It can be frustrating, but put that aside and go out and have some fun.

(now, throwing wakes in a no wake zone is completely wrong)

WakeDoc    471
Are you guys seriously expecting all other boats to move aside for your wake opportunities? Sorry, ain't gonna happen. And seriously, what's wrong with power turning to pick up your 8 year old kid who has just fallen in a busy waterway? I'm not a parent, but I assume I'd be concerned for the safety of my child in the middle of the lake/river.

I am in no way saying it is not ok to do a power turn in a busy water way, I was talking more about the people that always power turn ever time they drop a rider no matter what is going on around them. The people that act as if they are the only ones on the lake, with no consideration for anyone but, themselves.

You know, all of us were first time boat owners once. Does anyone remember those times? We can't all be pros at the ramp. We can't all be expected to know the "rules" as wakeboarders see them.

You are right but, does being a beginner give you the right to block two lanes with no consideration for the other people that are trying to use the ramp? You know the typical of today screw everyone else attitude. Is it ok to block the boat ramp while you are loading the gear, people, taking a last bathroom break before baking it off the trailer or should you take care of all that before getting on the ramp? I don't care who you are just be considerate to the other people waiting to use the ramps.

And as far as tubing goes....yeah it's frustrating. But why can't someone with a $100k mastercraft pull a tuber? .

Anyone can pull whatever they want behind whatever they want, it just pisses me off when I am running a straight line and some tool is zig zaggin back and forth in front of me all the while looking over their should and not at where they are going causing me to have to alter my course when 99% of the time by boating laws they are in the wrong. Are people allowed to buy a car and start driving it with 0 training, no yet boaters are?

You just can't expect everyone to move aside when they see our shiny boats. We have to share the water. It can be frustrating, but put that aside and go out and have some fun.

I agree but, when someone is putting me and my crew in jeopardy then it is a whole different story.

(now, throwing wakes in a no wake zone is completely wrong)

NO EXCUSE!!!

islander033    2

Sorry gang, I wasn't trying to hit any sore spots with this post.

I was just trying vent a little bit about the poor attitudes that I see on the water as of late and see if it is just me and my lake or if others are having the same experiences.

I agree that everyone should just go out and have fun on the water, but it shouldn't be at anyone elses expense.

Sorry gang, I wasn't trying to hit any sore spots with this post.

I was just trying vent a little bit about the poor attitudes that I see on the water as of late and see if it is just me and my lake or if others are having the same experiences.

I agree that everyone should just go out and have fun on the water, but it shouldn't be at anyone elses expense.

See what you started!! :blink: j/k

islander033    2
See what you started!! :blink: j/k

Sure, sure, blame the guy from Canada with the problematic boat. Why do you always have to be like that? ....J/K

WakeVB    0

You know, I try my best in my "older" age not to stereotype folks, so this conversation makes it tough for me not to agree. So far in my first real season of owning a wakeboat, I have made it a point to educate my drivers and anyone else I can on proper boating ettiquette. Its amazing how many folks I met that have no clue why one wouldnt "powerturn" to get their riders. Once you explain it to them, and if they have a REAL interest in wakeboarding, usually they agree its the better thing to do. I have converted a few.

I get mad at tubers. I get mad at people being stupid. But at one point, we have all made a mistake at the ramp, or pulled a tube for the kids. When I am in the middle of a set, then yeah I get pissy...but I end up forcing myself to relax. Everyone is entitled to their fun. Hopefully some respect is involved in whatever they may be doing at the time.

What does get me is ANYONE in a wakeboard boat that powerturns in a good cove. Unacceptable in my book...they should know better.

This...all coming from a guy who had a fisherman throw a 2 oz bottom rig accross my rope and neck a few weekends ago:)

ladderrat    0

gotta loove the thread.

also gotta agree with everyone, i'm sure we've all been there on both sides (although i think i was sixteen when i learned better). all we need to do is let everyone go out to the intercoastal waterways and try to act the same way...... they're pucker factor would hit so high, it'd be the equivalent to smackin the new puppy with a rolled up newspaper.... truth is, until it becomes important and neccessity(unfortunatly life-neccessity) to follow the rules someone is gonna break 'em! yup its true its usually the younger generation, but i'll do my part and teach my kids to yeild to the right, give each of them an important role on the boat everytime out (nothin cooler than leavin your 13 yr old on the dock with the boat to handle himself -mom settin off to the side of course-) , wave at EVERYONE, and honor the waterway rules as my grandfather taught me (they think its cool to let him know this when we go see him in the summer).

i am startin with one person at a time- startin with mine (not to mention i have pulled up to a few boneheads on sea-doos and explained you cant ride 10 ft behind a kid on a tube cause you want to jump the wake- i might have put it a little rougher than that :rolleyes: )

as to the boat specific boneheads, we get all kinds, however, you can tell who just bought the 100k boat and didnt spend a dime on a first time boatin class!!!

at least i havent seen as many talkin on the cell while drivin the boat as i have their cars!!!!

wahi wahi

Sure, sure, blame the guy from Canada with the problematic boat. Why do you always have to be like that? ....J/K

Everyone sing along....

"Blame Canada, Blame Canada, with all that hockey hullabaloo and that B--ch anne murray too.."

Or am I the only one who will admit having watched the South Park movie?

By way of disclosure:

I am a parent who has been known to pull his kids on a tube with a wakeboat, particularly in the middle of the day when the lake is all waves and there's little riding to be had. If that's a problem for you I invite you to tell my 6 year old daughter she's not getting a ride on her favorite "doughnut" tube and still think you're going out boarding later--I'll be sitting watching with my soda and popcorn. She has a 109 board that she can get up on quite well but the tube is more fun for the kids and you'll find everyone (and by consequence you) has a better time when they get to do a little of their "thing".

I think what people are getting at is a lack of concern, respect, or even awareness of others while boating... and yes, MC seems to have that in spades but that may also derive from their larger market share.

islander033    2
I think what people are getting at is a lack of concern, respect, or even awareness of others while boating... and yes, MC seems to have that in spades but that may also derive from their larger market share.

That is almost exactly what I was getting at.

It's like when you goto a place like walmart and everyone stops and parks their cart anywhere in the isles to chat or shop 25 feet away from where they left their out of control kids. But instead of walmart they are on the boat launch or in the marina doing nothing but slowing down traffic and causing pile ups.

Common sense should kick in sooner or later but it just isn't that common any more.

Joe B    17

It's not the Mastercraft, but the age and maturity level of both the kid and the Dad that didn't teach the ropes of driving and safe operation of a boat. My personal experience was with a teen jet-skier that almost killed me and I didn't buy a jet-ski that I was planning on a few months later.

Safety first, meaning don't follow directly behind me if I'm towing and even remotely close I'm power turning for my rider. Really I'll shut it down and get off the water if things get too crazy. I've learned from the past, if you want to board and surf butter you gotta get out there early. Afternoons you can't complain when the tube gets brought out for the kids.

I try not to tube in butter areas and really what's the point without waves to launch from. :nea:

BCanuck    1

If I have to tube the kids, I like to wait for the roughest windiest days. It wears them out way faster, and I always go against the wind and try to get them airborne to freak them out a little.

WakeDoc    471

Disclaimer:

VaBeachBum in no way were my opinions aboved directed at you personally just standing on the soap box that day.