desotodave

What is going on at Centurion?

desotodave    0

I posted this in another area at the end of several pages of posts, and I thought it might get lost in the shuffle. Any thoughts feedback is appreciated.

Hey all,

I am a long time lurker here on the site, although I do not post very often. Here are my 2 cents worth.

I have purchased my last 2 new boats from M&M Watersports here in Utah. It is true they are not going to be carrying Centurions any longer. Prior to my purchase of my Elite V 4 years ago I was an avid Mastercraft fan. I have always been a slalom skier and loved my prostar. BUT, I HATED UTAH WATERSPORTS (the new Centurion Dealer in Utah)! I would do everything in my power to avoid having to deal with the dealership. It even got the the point that I would purchase parts from a dealer in California, and then have an independent install them. It is my contention that they are the WORST boat dealer in America (great at selling product, support non-existent). I finally made the decision to sell my beloved prostar as my kids were getting old enough to want to wakeboard and I wanted a crossover type boat. My final determination was that I would own anything BUT a Mastercraft, I just could not deal with it any longer. I finally made my way down to see the guys at M&M watersports. As others have indicated Adam down there is the BEST, not to mention Troy and Shane. Whenever I need anything they do ANYTHING in their power to see that it gets fixed. They even ran a battery out to me (30 miles, and they were there in 35 minutes) when my was dead. This is without a doubt the best service I have ever received from any type of vehicle dealership anywhere I have lived. Indeed M&M was dealer of the year the last 3 years! Now I am not privy to the private goings on at Centurion and M&M, but I am dumbfounded that a dealership that has lived Centurion for over 20 years, and was 100% committed to bringing their clients the best possible product is now no longer selling these boats! From a dealership standpoint, I would assume that things would have to be REAL bad at Centurion for them to want to look elsewhere. Now, lets look at this from the other point of view. Lets say that the decision was Centurions and not M&M's. What kind of idiot would make a business decision to pull the franchise for their dealer of the year the last 3 years, and give it to a dealership who I have never had a positive experience with.

Either way I see bad things in the future for Centurion. If I was Rick Lee I would get down on my knees, ask M&M for forgiveness and beg them to come back. Nothing good can come of this.

Additionally, I am also friends with a number of the riders who are "sponsored" by Centurion. What a dissapointed group of great guys. It seems like being a Centurion sponsored rider now means that Centurion can use your name and likeness on their website, and the riders get......well their picture on the Centurion website.

I now own a 23 foot Enzo, and surfing is our passion. My wife, I and my son all went to the World Wakesurf Championships in Nasville in 2008. We love surfing! I have sold tons of Centurion boats due to my unbridled enthusiasm about the product, surfing and the good experience I have had with M&M. I have 2 friends in Washington, 1 in California, not to mention family members and friends who have bought one locally. But, I can't support a company that would treat their dealership base this poorly. If things don't change for the better, I will not purchase another Centurion product.

I know that the poster who originated this thread got off on the wrong foot, but the point that he raised at first is a good one WTF is going on with Centurion.

Dave

LakeSurfer    10

desotodave,

No offense, but this post is BS. Until someone post on here what the actual reasons for M&M not carrying Centurion anymore is, than this is all speculation. I am sure that M&M is a fantastic dealer (everybody has high praise for them), but the reason for this may be practical and make sense. Your assumption here is that Centurion does not have any idea what they are doing and just woke up stupid one day. My guess is that this was a very painful decision for Fineline and that Fineline made this decision based on what they feel is best for the company (and the entire dealer network).

For exmple (BTW I am making this up) here are two examples of why this may have happened:

(1) Fineline is now trying to implement standard pricing across all dealer in the US (I am sure that the east coast dealers were not happy about all of the KK boats on the market). Maybe since KK know longer has a relationship with Fineline, M&M now has to have a direct relationship with Fineline (rather than through KK). Maybe Fineline/M&M could not agree on the contract/pricing and decided to part ways.

(2) M&M decided they know longer want to carry inboards or have been offered to an opportunity carry another brand (CC/Bu, etc) in which they think they can make more money.

Either way, I am very sorry that M&M will not have the Centurion line. It is very evident that they were a great dealership. I just don't think it is appropriate for these types of post if you have no knowledge of (or are not willing to share) what actually caused M&M/Fineline to part ways.

desotodave    0
desotodave,

No offense, but this post is BS. Until someone post on here what the actual reasons for M&M not carrying Centurion anymore is, than this is all speculation. I am sure that M&M is a fantastic dealer (everybody has high praise for them), but the reason for this may be practical and make sense. Your assumption here is that Centurion does not have any idea what they are doing and just woke up stupid one day. My guess is that this was a very painful decision for Fineline and that Fineline made this decision based on what they feel is best for the company (and the entire dealer network).

For exmple (BTW I am making this up) here are two examples of why this may have happened:

(1) Fineline is now trying to implement standard pricing across all dealer in the US (I am sure that the east coast dealers were not happy about all of the KK boats on the market). Maybe since KK know longer has a relationship with Fineline, M&M now has to have a direct relationship with Fineline (rather than through KK). Maybe Fineline/M&M could not agree on the contract/pricing and decided to part ways.

(2) M&M decided they know longer want to carry inboards or have been offered to an opportunity carry another brand (CC/Bu, etc) in which they think they can make more money.

Either way, I am very sorry that M&M will not have the Centurion line. It is very evident that they were a great dealership. I just don't think it is appropriate for these types of post if you have no knowledge of (or are not willing to share) what actually caused M&M/Fineline to part ways.

Wow! "No offense, but this post is BS"? Not so! My argument is it does not matter whether M&M could not make it work with Fineline, or Fineline dumped them. The point is this is a GREAT dealership who had sold EXCLuSIVELY Centurion for over 20 years. M&M is now looking at other brands of inboard boats to carry, but only because they are no longer a Centurion dealer. Until they find another line to carry they are a used boat and gear dealership. Centurion now has a dealer who's doors I will not cross, and at least 1 less customer.

MANDC    0

desotodave,

Your two points of view are that M&M must see somthing that looks real bad at Centurion.

The other is that someone at Centurion is a complete idiot.

Im sure M&M is an oustanding dealer but you have no idea of what happened for them to part ways.

Maybe Centurion screwed up.

Maybe M&M is out of trust.

Who knows for sure. But slamming Centurion and questioning what is going on is useless unless we know the facts. Its unfortunate at the least. Im sure the decision was made for the best for both parties.

Lets just hope both parties can continue to be stable and flourish given our economic times.

I certainly understand that the relationship with the dealer is mostly what will make a relationship with any product good or bad. I have had good and bad experiences with Centurion dealers. Fortunatley with the bad dealer, Centurion always took care of me. Know I have 77-marine which is wonderful.

Chris

LakeSurfer    10
Wow! "No offense, but this post is BS"? Not so! My argument is it does not matter whether M&M could not make it work with Fineline, or Fineline dumped them. The point is this is a GREAT dealership who had sold EXCLuSIVELY Centurion for over 20 years. M&M is now looking at other brands of inboard boats to carry, but only because they are no longer a Centurion dealer. Until they find another line to carry they are a used boat and gear dealership. Centurion now has a dealer who's doors I will not cross, and at least 1 less customer.

My real point is, until somebody tells me why (and you have not), I cant tell you whether or not I think Centurion made a mistake. Like I said, I am sorry to see that M&M will not be carrying Centurion (they must have great customer support because you are obviously very loyal). But I personally think it is BS when you get on here and WW and post this without any information why this happened (other than you think Centurion woke up stupid).

From Centurion's perspective, if they were able to gain a (1) relationship with a group that owns 5 or 6 dealers across the NW, (2) sell boats at better margin or (3) get standard pricing across the dealer network, etc, it may make more sense for them as a company. Because like a said in my original post, I cant imagine Fineline made this decision without a lot of thought to what they think is best for their business.

desotodave    0
My real point is, until somebody tells me why (and you have not), I cant tell you whether or not I think Centurion made a mistake. Like I said, I am sorry to see that M&M will not be carrying Centurion (they must have great customer support because you are obviously very loyal). But I personally think it is BS when you get on here and WW and post this without any information why this happened (other than you think Centurion woke up stupid).

From Centurion's perspective, if they were able to gain a (1) relationship with a group that owns 5 or 6 dealers across the NW, (2) sell boats at better margin or (3) get standard pricing across the dealer network, etc, it may make more sense for them as a company. Because like a said in my original post, I cant imagine Fineline made this decision without a lot of thought to what they think is best for their business.

Great, you LOVE Fineline and they can do no wrong. Good for you. I'm happy you have a dealer that you still love and Fineline has not jammed yet.

No matter what happened, this is BAD for me and the other Centurion owners in our market. Like I said earlier, I have sold a lot of boats due to my LOVE for the product. It now feels like I just caught the love of my life cheating on me!

MANDC    0

WOW "FINELINE HAS NOT JAMMED YET"

Assumptions. Maybe try looking from the other side of the fence. Unless you have some knowlege that we are not privy to?

desotodave    0
WOW "FINELINE HAS NOT JAMMED YET"

Assumptions. Maybe try looking from the other side of the fence. Unless you have some knowlege that we are not privy to?

My side of the fence is what is happening to me and the locals. I still don't see from a Fineline point of view why you would DUMP your DEALER OF THE YEAR for the last 3 years! If a dealer is good enough to perform well in this economy, I would hold on to them for dear life!

WakeDoc    471

WOW Dave!!! Hell bent and PISSED OFF!!!

and if I were in your place I am sure I would be too but, like others have posted until you have ALL the FACTS don't you think you should take a deep breath and wait to see what the true story. Who knows which party is at fault here, if there is one, what if M&M is solely the one to blame then who will you be pissed at?

desotodave    0
WOW Dave!!! Hell bent and PISSED OFF!!!

and if I were in your place I am sure I would be too but, like others have posted until you have ALL the FACTS don't you think you should take a deep breath and wait to see what the true story. Who knows which party is at fault here, if there is one, what if M&M is solely the one to blame then who will you be pissed at?

No matter who is to blame, I know I can't go back to Centurion at Utah Watersports. It was such a weight off my back to not have to deal with that dealership any more. I feel like I went from Hell to Heaven, only to thrust back into Hell once again.

MANDC    0

Maybe the thread should have had these titles.

What is going on at M&M

Is M&M going out of business.

Why would a dealer odf the year no longer be a Centurion dealer?

MANDC    0

desotodave

Dont take me wrong. It sucks to be in your position. I to have been with a delaer who was crooked and had no idea of what customer service is about. Unfortunatley i did find out till after i bought my boat.

WakeDoc    471
No matter who is to blame, I know I can't go back to Centurion at Utah Watersports. It was such a weight off my back to not have to deal with that dealership any more. I feel like I went from Hell to Heaven, only to thrust back into Hell once again.

Believe me Dave I feel your pain I have dealt with dealers in the past that were a pain but, I decided how I wanted to be treated, had a sit down with the dealer, we came to an understanding and it all worked out for the best. My advice for the situation you are in is go into the new dealership with a positive mind set sit down with them explain your concerns and try to work it out with them. They are new to Centurion and might appreciate a customer as yourself to help bring understanding from both sides.

h20king    794

enoughf allready dealers come and dealers go it is not the end of the world if centurion is what you prefer you will find a way waranty work can be done by any mercruiser dealer centurion has been around 35 years or so and im shure they are not going any where.plus im shure m and m will still work on your boat.I live in oregon and have owned a centurion for the last 10 years our dealer is not great on service but still i find a way.centurion does not own much of the market here it's all malibu, mb ,supra and moomba. by the way all from one dealer. thanks for your opinion but let's let this one die :thumbsup:

rizza32    0

The ranting on this site has been rediculous over the past few days. Between the speaker guy and now happy dave. Sorry you lost your dealer but atleast you have one. Closest one for me is over the summit and nearly 3hrs away. So I use a Natique dealer nearby that works on mercs and has a great service dept. Maybe you can find a way to adapt and overcome or atleast a way to sparkle up because I would like the website I enjoy back. A website usually full of positive and fun loving people who are enthusiastic about their boats. If not maybe you can sell your boat and get a MC like you use to have and drive the Team Talk guys crazy.

MANDC    0

I agree. let all the negativity stay over on hatersworld. I feel for your loss. hopefully you can find a way to make it work.

Now lets all have a drink :thumbsup:

Kevin Baugh    78

"DUMP your DEALER OF THE YEAR"

Like many people have said until we know what happened most of your post is way out of line.

It does suck to have your a dealer that you love to drop your line or get dropped by your line believe me

I have experienced this 2 times and it sucks but Fineline is a business and has to make business decisions

based on what is best for the bottom line. In this financial market M & M could have had trouble getting a line of credit to buy enough boats.... I don't and neither do you

Edited by Kevin Baugh

desotodave    0
The ranting on this site has been rediculous over the past few days. Between the speaker guy and now happy dave. Sorry you lost your dealer but atleast you have one. Closest one for me is over the summit and nearly 3hrs away. So I use a Natique dealer nearby that works on mercs and has a great service dept. Maybe you can find a way to adapt and overcome or atleast a way to sparkle up because I would like the website I enjoy back. A website usually full of positive and fun loving people who are enthusiastic about their boats. If not maybe you can sell your boat and get a MC like you use to have and drive the Team Talk guys crazy.

Not trying to be a downer, or destroy the site. Sorry if I came across that way. I am just trying to make sense out of a situation that is impacting me and the other local owners. Given what has been going on in the economy and the boating industry, I want to ensure that the boats I love are still around, and the service I have come to expect is still there.

desotodave    0
"DUMP your DEALER OF THE YEAR"

Like many people have said until we know what happened most of your post is way out of line.

It does suck to have your a dealer that you love to drop your line or get dropped by your line believe me

I have experienced this 2 times and it sucks but Fineline is a business and has to make business decisions

based on what is best for the bottom line. In this financial market M & M could have had trouble getting a line of credit to buy enough boats.... I don't and neither do you

Kevin,

Dumping my dealer is a great concept if it was not such a great discrepancy between the One I love, and the one I love to hate. (personally, I don't think that the problem is the dealer).

enzo101mo    98

What other boats do M&M sell? Maybe in these hard times which I've seen alot, M&M pulled the plug because sales are down and it's harder to finace (they pay interest on all the boats on the lot till sold)high cost boats for them. Three dealers in my area folded one was selling over 300 boats a year before this crash time. M&M maybe hurting