trane29

boat hull designs

trane29    0

Can anybody explain to me the difference between a Falcon V hull design and an Avalanche hull design. Is one better than another? What is gained or lost? My family and I are beginner wakeboarders and we will not be entering the "X Games". Is the Falcon capable of producing a rideable wake? I have not purchased my Centurion yet, but the Falcon V fits more in my price range.

Any reply's would be helpful.

Thanks,

David

Bristol, TN

mdboats    0

The Falcon is designed as a multi purpose hull, slalom, wakeboard and over all skiing. You will notice that Falcon is relatively flat on the hull where as the Avalanche carries a lot of V in the hull. The significant factor here is going to be rough water ride. The Avalanche is much better in rough condittions. It really depends on your usage of the boat as to what fits your needs the best. Take a Falcon for a test drive and see for yourself.

Mark Qualkinbush

David -

(mdboats) said it best. I couldn't have said it better.

From the discussions you and I have had, I think the Falcon will be a great fit.

trane29    0

But will the Falcon make a big enough wake to jump? Bigger than a Bayliner's wake?

h20king    794

are you kidding bigger than a bayliner the falcon is is short and wide with just factory ballast the wake gets large add weight and it gets real big if you can swing it get the blade the falcon has the sane hull as the 220 enzo and does all sports well but does ride roughf at higher speeds on the chop

duramat    462

The Falcon is a great boat. Like MD said, the hull is not as deep as the Avy so in rough water/chop your going to feel the difference. The Avy is nice and roomy, and with the deeper V hull. It will also be a better boat for surfing, hands down! If you can, get the switchblade for the Falcon it will help out greatly. Also,, take a look at the Elite V. The Elite has a deeper V hull than the Falcon and its longer, just a little shorter in width. I have an Elite, Ive been on a Falcon, and just about bought an Avy (finances didnt work out). Regardless plan on a couple of Fly High 750's for the rear lockers and your wake will be stellar. Falcon with Blade has a very balanced wake. Elite V is weight sensative but very doable. By all means, look at all of them again and the storage configurations and to what you think will work best for you. Everyone says "Surfing,,,ya maybe, I just dont think I'll be doing it" and then they try it and get the bug! Its alot of fun and not so ruff on the body and easy to rebound after a day out. You'll want the deeper V for that.

islander033    2
.........You'll want the deeper V..........

I concur.

Joe B    17

I ride/surf both boats on a weekly basis and concur with what the guys say above but will add:

The Falcon has a much better chance of fitting into a standard garage.

The interior of the Falcon is 2" wider than an Avy and the layout of the interior makes it feel just as big as my Avy (shorter in the bow but I don't ride there much). We didn't even consider the Elite V due to it being 96" wide and feeling cramped.

I bought my boat about 2 months before I heard/saw the new Falcon V and if I did it over again I would have gotten the Falcon V with Blade and saved 10 grand (prices in my area at the time). I also recommend getting the 330 scorpion engine if you can but not a huge deal. If you are price sensitive, an Auto-wakeplate and some ballast does just fine versus the blade. Most options can be added later on and save some cash for those.

No matter what boat you get, you'll be buying two fly high 750's to screw in where the tanks were and changing the stock prop for some more agressive holeshot.---have fun with the purchase!

zapisor    43

This was all done behind a Falcon,

There is some boarding video towards the end.... I don't think you can do this behind a bayliner.

duramat    462

Joe is correct on the The falcon feeling nice and roomy them extra inches do wonders. The lockers on the falcon are NICE and deep! I was impressed with Knuckledragger's Falcon. His had the switchblade and I think that is a must with that boat to compensate for the lackness of the deep V. I second the Black Scorpion 330 for the boat. And also a better prop for the 1500 extra pounds of ballast your going to have.

If it's a matter of finances that knocks the Avy out of consideration, then I say it is either between the Falcon or the Elite V. You can't go wrong with either. My thinking would be falcon with the blade, or Elite without the blade.

duramat    462

I'm also a big fan of the color red and with tribal graphics!!

:laughing::unknw::thumbsup:

no pressure..... :D

Edited by duramat

trane29    0

Great suggestions. Thanks to all. I guess comparing a Falcon V to a Bayliner was a joke. I think that I am sold on the Falcon V. Now gotta get the finances in order.

ladderrat    0

i second the falcon for the family..... our 08' has been hands down our favorite. love joe's avy when its just the boys out there, but when we're loaded deep or with the kids (4 of them) the extra with and less rocking motion on the water (the deep V's rock a lot compared to the falcon) really makes a huge difference for family time. you'll also find the surf wake on the falcon is more beginner appropriate as it has more push and requires less work to stay in the pocket. as for the wakeboard wake, i usually run the stock ballast with the family on board-ill add (2) 500 lb sacks when theres only 2 or 3 of us and the wake gets huge. less straight up pop than the deep v hulls, but i have NEVER strained my knees hittin the wake, its nice smooth and gradual ramps make it easy to learn on, we came out of a bayliner into the falcon. best chioce i coulda made.

wahi wahi

dave

WakeDoc    471

We were out at the boat show yesterday and I snapped a few pictures of the hulls to better understand the differences.

Avalanche

med_gallery_66_113_70253.jpg

med_gallery_66_113_52270.jpg

Falcon

med_gallery_66_113_41831.jpg

med_gallery_66_113_67990.jpg

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone wants to see anything else might be back at the show in the next week or so.

duramat    462

Heck ya!! More pics!! of everything and anything of that booth.

trane29    0

Awesome!! Thanks man. I understand fully. Great pics and good idea.

Carter13    69

That sure is a big difference between the two hulls.

Nice photos WakeDoc.