DarksideR    1,679

Thank you for the informative and descriptive post.

Much appreciated.

kwc    0

UPDATE ON GAS DURING STORAGE!

No sooner than finishing my post about how one should drain the tank if they have E10 fuel (10% Ethanol) per the manual, did an update about the

myth's about ethanol gas get published in BoatU.S Magazine. www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

Per the very good article by Bob Adriance (some excepts):

"The recommendation to leave a tank mostly empty is bad advice; it could significantly increase the amount of water that gets into the tank. When enough water enters through the vent, the ethanol will separate ("phase separate") from the gasoline. Leaving a tank mostly empty does three things to increase the chances of phase separation:

It increases the volume of open space in the tank (its "lung capacity") so it can "breathe in" damaging moist air. An almost-empty tank leaves more space on tank walls for condensation to form. Leaving less gasoline in the tank means there will be less ethanol to absorb the condensation.

(As an alternative, completely emptying the tank would eliminate any chance of phase separation.)

If phase separation occurs, the highly corrosive ethanol/water mixture will settle to the bottom of the tank and remain there even after fresh fuel is added in the spring. The only way to remedy the problem would then be to drain the tank and add fresh gasoline. The best way to avoid phase separation over the winter (aside from emptying the tank) is to leave the tank 95-percent full (which allows for expansion) so that there's less moist air in the tank, less space for condensation to collect, and more gasoline to absorb whatever moisture does accumulate."

"Lew Gibbs added that the best way to prevent phase separation in E10 is to "keep it dry, keep it dry, keep it dry." That means keeping the tank filled to prevent condensation. Mercury Marine has also noted that, contrary to statements made by some companies that produce fuel additives, there are no additives that can make stale or phase-separated gasoline usable."

Per some of the experts referenced in the article:

"Note, however, to keep any gasoline, including E10, as fresh as possible; they said it's good practice to always add fuel stabilizer — an antioxidant — whenever the boat will be idle for long periods."

"Mercury Marine, the world's largest manufacturer of marine engines, recently held a webinar to debunk some of its own myths about ethanol. I attended with interest. The first myth was that there are fuel additives that can prevent all issues associated with ethanol-blended gasoline. For example, no fuel additive can prevent ethanol from acting like a solvent. The second myth was that fuel additives can make stale or phase-separated fuel useable. "Fuel cannot be rejuvenated," Mercury determined, and they noted that it's a myth that ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided. Here are some quotes from the Mercury Marine webinar.

• "There is no active transfer mechanism for ethanol molecules to reach out and 'grab' water molecules out of the air. Under normal storage conditions, even in a vented fuel tank, it just does not happen at a level or rate that is relevant."
  • "Major multi-billion dollar companies with enormous resources have improved gasoline additives but there have been no recent breakthroughs involving 'magical technology.' Claims made by companies about 'space-age,' 'revolutionary,' or special proprietary technology should be looked at with a high degree of suspicion."
  • "E10 Ethanol absolutely IS an acceptable fuel for everyday use."
  • "E15 Ethanol absolutely IS NOT an acceptable fuel."
  • "After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"
  • "Don't immediately assume E10 is the problem.

------------

Anyhow, so much for what the manual said on gas storage!

I joined BoatU.S. for some benefits at West Marine, so I'll put a plug in for them and what could be invaluable advice from the story from Bob Adraince.

Now despite what the manual says, I'll need to go back and fill up the tank to 95%.....

kwc

Whether to keep the tank empty or full has always been a debate since E10 came out. You'll find good arguments on both sides. I think condensation in your tank depends a lot on your environment as well. Stabil has a formula meant for marine/ethanol storage. I leave my tank full and add the treatment (different than traditional Stabil from the auto store).

http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product01A7.aspx

DarksideR    1,679

That's the same stuff I used the last two years. Good stuff guys.

duramat    462

Of coarse, the very first blue drain plug I unscrewed slipped through my fingers and fell under the motor. Not sure if any of you have had this experience but, this might as well be the Abyss of the ocean!

Friggin dang blue drain plug....oh how I dislike you plug

These threads come in so handy when in doubt. Love the search function

Edited by duramat

Shaka    146

I did the same last winter and bought a few new plugs so when spring came around........

Last week I went to install the new blue plugs and couldn't find them. Grrrrrrrr

DarksideR    1,679

I did the same last winter and bought a few new plugs so when spring came around........

Last week I went to install the new blue plugs and couldn't find them. Grrrrrrrr

LOL. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Then I'd ask my wife if she'd seen them, and she'd say "yeah, I put them "away"." And they'd be in a bag, in a box behind another box on a shelf somewhere in the attic... and then she'd say something like, "what ever would you do without me"...

I'd probably find everything where I left it... but the house would be a disaster and I'd be starving!

Good luck Shaka. LOL.

• Like 1

Shaka    146

Meh I just went and bought some new plugs. :)