Talbertini

2016 Supreme S226 Blistering

Talbertini    0

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but after season 2 I am experiencing serious blistering to the Hull. We live in Seattle so our time in the water is relatively small. Moored 3 months with several take outs for trips and I cleaned it and re-waxed it every time. I am being told that Fineline will not warranty it and repairs are upwards of $8k. It all seems crazy to me for such an expensive nice new boat with low hours and pretty minimal time in the water to already be experiencing this and the manufacturer won't budge. I left my Nautique and Tige in the water for far longer periods of time and never had a single issue....... Would love to get some thoughts.

h20king    794

States right in the owners manual if you moor your boat blisters  can happen and are not covered by warranty . Gel coat is not what it used to be. With EPA rules it has changed through the years and is not as tough as it used to be. This problem is not specific to supreme and centurion.  I know it sucks but if you would have read the owners manual they warned you it could happen . If you want it fixed you will have to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.  Sorry 

Talbertini    0

The thought of having a boat that you cannot moor at all is crazy. The part that has me more curious is that there is a brand new Supra and a brand new Nautique right next to me and neither one of them had any issue even though they were in the water months before me......

h20king    794

There is no real explanation of why it happens to some and not others. This is not a brand specific problem. All the builders get the materials from the same place.  It's a risk anybody runs when mooring with no bottom paint. 

baker    0

I just pulled my boat 2015 enso 244 and found the complete port underside covered in small blisters. Our boat is in the water for 3weeks in July out a week to another lake and back in for 3 weeks. I contacted both centurion and dealer about this they are submitting a warranty claim I am pretty certain it will be denied . $4-9k to re gelcoat. In the manual however they are pretty vague on how long a boat can sit in the water . All it says is a substantial amount of time . To which no one has that answer what that is. Centurion just told me that a boat should be removed every third day and dried off? Anyone heard of that . I have also heard 2 weeks. Regardless in my opinion I think Centurion knows this may happen and don’t give you a clear warning . Should be red WARNING  sticker on your front manual !! If they deny claims based on substantial amount of time . They know there is a issue but that message certainly not getting to the public. It allows them to get out of any responsibility . Will let you all know how CENTURION deals with this one . For the amount that is being charged for these boats you would think gelcoat and technology today would be a superior product. Seems they don’t care and put the responsibility on the owners. Love to hear any feed back. Will let you know how this goes

cheers

h20king    794

States plain and clear in the manual to not moor for extended time.  Also says if you want to moor to have bottom paint installed.  With environmental  restrictions resin and gel has changed through the years. I wish you luck but am fairly sure it will not be covered. 

Cdifranco    463
1 hour ago, h20king said:

States plain and clear in the manual to not moor for extended time.  Also says if you want to moor to have bottom paint installed.  With environmental  restrictions resin and gel has changed through the years. I wish you luck but am fairly sure it will not be covered. 

Agreed. I think my 2013 manual says 10 days.. it seems to be hit or miss, my neighbors boat has blisters and he leaves it on a lift, mine sits in the water on mooring whips since 2013 and looks brand new. 

Our boats were built and ordered at the same time frame. 

My understanding was blistering happens because of defects that happen in the fiberglassing/gelcoat process and that it's not uncommon to happen to boats that have sat in the water for years as the gel coat wears, but for it to be happening on the scale that is is for 2 year old boats that see a few weeks of watter at a time seems wrong.  I wonder if it has something to do with their vacuum infusion process not getting ther resin to completely saturate the outer layers of fiberglass  and then makes it easy for water to get in through the gel.  I don't recall anybody having these kind of issues on their Yamaha's back when I owned one and they are far cheaper boats.  I had my Yamaha for 5 years and only ever saw one spot.  I see plenty of these bigger boats without bottom paint that sit in all season and I have heard extremely little about blistering being a big issue.  I think Supreme knows their is an issue with their process and is trying to skirt responsibility by claiming it is a normal occurance like it states in the manual.  I am praying this isn't a plague for my new boat.

Edited by ItsMyFirstTime

Dvpvic    0

Ive read malibu, nautique, supra manuals. All state the same warning statement, vacuum infusion or not. Bottom paint it or risk blistering, might happen later might happen sooner. Some say the type of water also affects how soon you might see blistering.