Dreamer

SV244 - switch from Ballast Puppies to Ballast King pumps?

Dreamer    96

I see on Wakemakers website that there are new Jabsco ballast pumps that are 33% faster. Has anyone done this upgrade to their boat? The original pump draws 11.5 amps and these new pumps will draw 19. Any issues with that?

h20king    794

I was going to do it in my 238 but my dealer NWBS said I needed to increase the size of wire going to the pumps so I just sold the boat and bought a new one LOL 

Troy    234

DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Edited by Troy

Wylie_Tunes    146

You can run the KINGs on 12ga cable. Theres not a wake boat out there large enough to require a long enough run for larger cable. Is larger OK? Sure, knock yourself out. So, is the cable gauge adequate? Is the reversing switch adequate? Is the circuit protection adequate? 

Now, before making the choice, I would convert that "33%" in to time. Time difference between the current pump to fill the ballast and time for the new pump to fill. IS that gain worth it?  

Dreamer    96
13 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

You can run the KINGs on 12ga cable. Theres not a wake boat out there large enough to require a long enough run for larger cable. Is larger OK? Sure, knock yourself out. So, is the cable gauge adequate? Is the reversing switch adequate? Is the circuit protection adequate? 

Now, before making the choice, I would convert that "33%" in to time. Time difference between the current pump to fill the ballast and time for the new pump to fill. IS that gain worth it?  

I hear ya Wylie. We figure it will save two minutes filling and emptying. One reason I am considering it is our empty timer settings on the port PnP is stuck at 4:50. This new pump might make that amount of time work, lol.

WakeDoc    471

If you are in a hurry, you are not doing it right.

super1990    18

I have 3 of them in my SV230 and they work great with no issues.

Tmr1    3

Super1990 

Can you elaborate on your setup with the 3 Ballast Kings?  Fill time? Drain time?  What size sacs do they fill?

Thanks!

vinko    0

Have yet to time the exact difference. Went from ballast puppys to johnson pumps, went from hating life to actually draining the bags before dark. At the same time i changed all piping to 1" including above water thru hulls.

Bonus, johnson pumps are on sale @ wakemakers

Wylie_Tunes    146

.7 GPM, as in less then 1, difference between the Jabsco Puppy and Johnson Ultra. They are universally interchangeable and even use the same orange impeller.