pedelh

RI237 Ballast questions

pedelh    0

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Ri237, and have received a lot of good feedback and info from this site.  So, first, thanks!

I like the RAM fill, and it looks like that loads 2,550 lbs in a hurry.  I'm curious, how much most people use of the plug and play (and where), and how long that takes to fill and empty.

I'm wondering if you can get a great surf wake without the plug and play bags and just loading up lead in the back compartments?  I'd love to keep bags out of there, and have the storage if it would still create an awesome surf wave.

Thanks in advance!

CO Surfer    289

You want the bags so you can drop the weight when not using it.  Whether this I'd for trailering or just cruising, there are times you don't want the extra weight in the boat.  Lead PLUS bags is really where you want to be.

pedelh    0

Thanks for the feedback. How much ballast in the bags do you fill and how much time does that generally take?

Darkside    248

Fill the bags 100% roughly 5 minutes to fill.  I fill my bags, then fill ram fill.  This lets you see how dramatic the extra ballast is.  It is night and day.  As others have said you will likely want your bags 100% full AND a couple hundred pounds of lead. 

Darkside    248

I will also add, the RI series is unbelievable, the more you use it the more you will love it.  The wave is second to none.   There is so much adjustability, it can be daunting.  Have fun with it, try different  shapes and sizes.  Some you will like more than others.   Dont be afraid to drain a bit out of non surf side and give it a little list.   You don't need to lay it over,  but a slight list does help.   Drain 10% from non surf side ram, is all you need. 

pedelh    0

Thanks again. I’m going to take a quick demo of the Supra SA...which is the only boat left in the running other than the ri. I’ve heard good things, but it is really hard to get independent feedback about the SA. There is tons of info on the Ri’s, not to mention this site, so my confidence level is much higher. I’m coming from a 2012 Malibu VLX so I’m confident that either will be a big surf upgrade but it’s such a huge purchase I️ want to make sure I’m making the best decision. 

Darkside    248

100% agree.   Supra would be great too.  Both are a big step up.  The Ri will surf a bit better,  and is more adjustable.  CATS and Ram fill are two features I don't think I would be willing to give up.   

luluzer    50

I agree with Dark, the RI series are gonna be a better surfing boat. No experience with Supras but I have been blown away with how easy my wave is to dial in and how much force it has on the back end. You will love the 237 if you end up buying one.  Good luck with your purchase!

nailem    29

Pedelh, I'm glad you asked about the time to fill plug n plays. I'm about a year away from pulling the trigger and hope to find a slightly used or left over 2018 at the end of next year.

You hear a lot on the 45 sec fill time for ram fill but this is the first I have heard the pnp fill time. 

chowder2016    110

I fill the rams first then the PNP. Usually by the time you get the rope, flag, life jacket, go pro, wax and the entire production that takes place before you jump in the water the bags are full or full enough to start surfing.

the wake off just the rams is better than any wake I ever got off my 22MXZ so everything else is just a bonus. 

Darkside    248

I also will typically fill PNP while parking truck.   So never really experience a delay.   I fill PNP first,  then RAM because it's really amazing to watch the wave change DRAMATICALLY in the seconds it takes to fill the RAM's.  My fill timer is 5:05 and drain is 5:30.  

racer21    4

I have never checked my wave without the PNP's filled, and my experience would also be about 5 minutes to fill,  I've never bothered check.  In my previous boat, I had to run a few bags I manually filled, so this in itself has been a great improvement.

Though I get a really good wave without any additional lead, I would agree that bags AND lead is the place to be!

nailem    29

5min sounds good to me. My current setup takes about 15 min. Normally not a problem but it would be nice to cut that into 3rds.

Darkside    248

Where it is important is I do weekday trips.   You have 2.5 to 3 hours total,  so wasting 15 min to fill/ drain is annoying.   Also 5 min allows swapping wakeboard/Surf at any time.   You can go back and forth.   Slow fill or drain becomes very restrictive....

• Like 1

Jake707    171

Hell it takes me a good 15 mins to get out of the no wake zone on my lake haha. I have a regular Tsunami pump so filling two 750s and the bow sac takes quite a bit of time. Usually end up putting for another 10 mins after the no wake zone waiting to finish filling the sacs. Buuuuuuuuut Im about 100K less invested then most on here from the sounds of it hahah

pedelh    0

@Jake707 I dealt with that on my old malibu.  I would highly recommend the Ronix eight.3 high capacity pump/bag set up.  They fill and dump really fast.

Jake707    171

I have fat sacs already so I don't want to spend more on new bags. But if they have an adaptor for that pump to fat sacs I might look into getting one and running both............ off to wakemakers I go