Sign in to follow this  
builtforspeed

clear lake/water conditions

IMG_20170715_203454009_HDR.jpg.2c3d24da6571f9e445df879e8cc28e7a.jpg

We had a great weekend at clear lake but i have a question for bongo fury .  what do you use on your boat for the conditions there ? my boat looked like some one blew chalk dust all over it when i pulled it out. we usually go to berryessa and never had so much water spot issues as we did there . just curious.

Jake707    171

Nice picture. How was it up there, other than the hard water, was it busy or not? I normally go to Berryessa too but we have been thinking about trekking up there one day if it was worth it.

wheels    151
1 hour ago, builtforspeed said:

IMG_20170715_203454009_HDR.jpg.2c3d24da6571f9e445df879e8cc28e7a.jpg

We had a great weekend at clear lake but i have a question for bongo fury .  what do you use on your boat for the conditions there ? my boat looked like some one blew chalk dust all over it when i pulled it out. we usually go to berryessa and never had so much water spot issues as we did there . just curious.

Boat bling hot sauce is amazing for hard water spots. Trust me, my lake is one of the hardest waters around and this stuff is effortless 

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

We keep our boat on a lift.  Every time we come in we wash it with a hose and wipe down with vinegar/water mix.  I also use other cleaners for tough spots etc but my go to every single time is the vinegar and water mix.

I love Clear Lake.  It is never ever crowded even on the biggest holidays.  Compared to Berryessa you will feel alone on the lake……but please……don’t tell anyone!

BTW.....We really don't find the water spots too bad and I have not experienced anything like chalk dust.....one thing is for sure...Clear Lake is alive and nothing surprises me.

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Like 2

Bongo Fury    640
7 minutes ago, Bongo Fury said:

We keep our boat on a lift.  Every time we come in we wash it with a hose and wipe down with vinegar/water mix.  I also use other cleaners for tough spots etc but my go to every single time is the vinegar and water mix.

I love Clear Lake.  It is never ever crowded even on the biggest holidays.  Compared to Berryessa you will feel alone on the lake……but please……don’t tell anyone!

BTW.....We really don't find the water spots too bad and I have not experienced anything like chalk dust.....one thing is for sure...Clear Lake is alive and nothing surprises me.

Bongo Fury    640

Sorry for the double post...still get messed up with the new editor..

Jake707    171

How many parts vinegar to water do you use? My buddy said that too but hes also the "know it all but never from personal experience" type haha

One of these days I might make the 2 hour trek up there

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

About 50/50 but probably a little more vinegar......been doing it for years...have two nice heavy duty squirt bottles on the dock and always one on the boat.....works on most everything.

• Like 2

I  as well use the vinegar and water mix like bongo said with a little more vinegar than water and have used many of the wipe down brands.  the vinegar works well and is not hard on the wallet.

i have not been to clear lake for years and years but it was pretty cool, lots of sq miles of lake for sure. If i had the opportunity to purchase a house on the water i would, but it is definitely its own environment.  my friends have a pretty cool spot with its own launch and dock which made things easy.  I did see a lot of other guys surfing which was exciting. So yes i would say it is worth going up there to check it out 707. my wife and i got up early and cruised around to check things out and went by konocti which looked sort of lonely and begging to be opened back up, but guess thats a whole different subject.  

The chalky comment was about after starting to wipe the boat down and spreading the water spots all around (part of having black gel coat)  I did look for a enzo while i was there thinking i may have seen bongo but like i said there is a lot of water there, and i can still smell it as i am draining my bags .

you probably have had some good times up there bongo. I'm hoping to get back up there soon.;)

wheels    151

The only problem with the vinegar is it will strip you wax off 

Troy    234

I'm a 50/50 vinager water user also. Works great. 

3 hours ago, wheels said:

The only problem with the vinegar is it will strip you wax off 

I believe it does ,i always quick wax after the solution .

i think if that was all you used it may be problematic but like my drinking, a little bit in moderation won't hurt . right?

wheels    151

The boat bling hot sauce has a wax built into it so it adds a layer of wax everytime you use it and it removes the hard water spots. I wish I tried this stuff years ago. I boat on one of the hardest water lakes around and it takes it off effortlessly. 

Jake707    171

Well Ill be..........  my friend was right.........  I wont tell him that though

Ya maybe Ill look into a camping trip or renting a cabin up there for a long weekend. Im sure most if not everything up there is booked for the summer but who knows.

our boat sits in the water all season long on clearlake and gets a layer of hard green crust. we take the boat out in October and I use star brite ez on ez off and then wax and polish. its a pain in the neck but its what we do. I have two neighbors that do the same thing. In our little bay we have three falcons from the 90s sitting in the water right in front of the cabin where Billy and Bob Maher built the first maherajah ski. clearlake is awesome best lake in cali

jago bay.JPG

• Like 1

Nick610s    2

I have the boat bling stuff, how long is it required to leave on before wiping off? I say this as my sv 230 had black gelcoat and I bought the stuff and it didn't really take off any hard spots, I was using a microfiber cloth to wipe it off, i let sit for a good 2-3 mins before wiping off. should i let it sit longer? or use a more abrasive towel? thanks.

ssgviper    7

FYI, 100% vinegar works great too.  It will not harm anything.  Just wax or apply sealant afterwards.   I use 100% vinegar after each trip to hard water lakes.  Just don't let it build up, keep on top of it.

Edited by ssgviper

wheels    151
1 hour ago, Nick610s said:

I have the boat bling stuff, how long is it required to leave on before wiping off? I say this as my sv 230 had black gelcoat and I bought the stuff and it didn't really take off any hard spots, I was using a microfiber cloth to wipe it off, i let sit for a good 2-3 mins before wiping off. should i let it sit longer? or use a more abrasive towel? thanks.

Mine wipes it off right away as I rub it on, then I go back over with a fresh microfibre cloth for a quick shine. 

6 hours ago, jago bay baby said:

our boat sits in the water all season long on clearlake and gets a layer of hard green crust. we take the boat out in October and I use star brite ez on ez off and then wax and polish. its a pain in the neck but its what we do. I have two neighbors that do the same thing. In our little bay we have three falcons from the 90s sitting in the water right in front of the cabin where Billy and Bob Maher built the first maherajah ski. clearlake is awesome best lake in cali

jago bay.JPG

That is interesting you mentioned maherajah , I was just at my parents house and they still have two of the original single slalom ski's they built with the rubber tips. as well when i was younger i rode a maharajah skateboard right before i was sponsored by rector skate gear. I know a few people want to get there hands on those ski's. 

i do like clear lake , there is so much water area and any where its hot and there is water i am a fan.

Edited by builtforspeed
  • Like 1

jago bay on clearlake has some great history when it comes to water skiing, when we purchased our little lake house bobby maher put in the back up offer on the house and the first day we put our boat in the water I met two guys on the beach talking about how there use to be a slalom course out in the bay. I introduced myself as the new owner and pointed to our new house and that's when bobby introduced himself and his friend kris lapoint and told me he had a back up offer on our house. I talked with them for a while and they joked about how I should take the wake board tower off my ski boat. I still see bobby every now and again at the marina where I gas up and keep my trailer and there are a couple of wineries close by that have wine bars made by him

• Like 1