poosie    7

I have the standard boatmate trailer and am curious if anyone has ever had a tire blowout, flat or bearing problem. can the trailer handle with a single axle for a short time.

kgordon7378    0

I have never had a blowout on my boat trailer, yet I have had issues on a different trailer that has two axles. If you get a flat, the trailer will want to pull, and will sway side to side. With the loss of one tire, you are putting additional stress on the other three. Now if you are asking about removing the other tire on the same axle, to basically go to a single axle set up with just the hubs hanging free, the issue you will come across is overloading the other two tires. It would be best to just pick up a spare or two (yes I have had two blowouts within miles of eachother) and if you are going over long hauls, it would not be a bad idea to carry a spare hubs or bearings. One thing I do when driving long distances is when stopping for gas or breaks, walk around the rig and feel the tires and hubs. You will feel the heat difference on tires that are seperating or hubs that are getting ready to go. This does not eliminate the need for preventative maint. yet a sign of an issue when on the road.

I have the standard boatmate trailer and am curious if anyone has ever had a tire blowout, flat or bearing problem. can the trailer handle with a single axle for a short time.

Most trailers are either 2500 or 3500lb axles.... either way, your gonna overload... that being said - depending on what your short period is, at a reduced speed - you may be ok...

I've had 11,000lbs on a trailer rated for 7000 and it was ok at slower speeds...

elc    2

I had a blowout on my trailer last year. I am sure it could handle it for a short time but why risk it when you can pick up a spare for less then $100.

Joe B    17

Good question as I'm about to take an unexpected long haul. I'm going to get into the mechanic for a quick lookover and to top off the oil in the oil bath hubs.

I'm traveling with another boater with a spare (I don't have one), but may borrow one for this trip to the CentCrew reunion from the mechanic for the weekend.

I'll be adding it to my boat need list. It's the jack and lug nut diameter that I think gets overlooked. Safe travels all.

Bigshow    0

I had a blow out last year. Limp to the nearest place to stop safely and put on your spare. Never, necer go anywhere without a spare.

Never neglect your bearings or it will cost you water time and money.

Top    0

How often do people re-pack their bearing on their trailers? Once a year? X amount of miles? Etc......

kgordon7378    0

I check mine before any long hauls. Most of my runs are within 10 miles. I would still do it every year, bearing grease is really cheap. Nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the road with a blown bearing.

1911    4

I had a blow out on my way to the lake last week. I was paying attention and noticed it go, pulled over within five seconds. The wheel with the blown tire got bent. I had a spare tire (luckily) and the shop was able to rebend the wheel. What I didnt have was a lug nut wrench that fit the trailer tires. I have an F-350 dually, and the truck wrench did not fit it. So, make sure you have a spare and the tools to change if needed.

I think if I would have driven any futher, my wheel would have been destroyed.

poosie    7

what type of bearing buddies are standard. my trailer has the type with a sight glass that shows the level and you can change the oil/grease by draining out the lower plug and then refilling in the top. my old boat had regular bearing buddies that had a grease zirks.