DrNate

Supra SG vs. RI 237

DrNate    426

Which do you choose and why? Only thing that matters to me is surf wave. I can't stand the look of the Supra SE, and can't afford an RI 257 or a G25

Would either be better than my current SV 240?

Main reason I'm asking here is because I can find precious little on Supra SG vs. SE surf wave on Supra forums and I know some of you have surfed them all

Edited by DrNate

Lak3surf3r    714

pretty sure the polar bear event used the SG, but i havent gone. I myself have rode the SE quite a few a few times and really loved it. The SA is ok, but not even in the same league. Supposedly according to the supra forums:

"I have a 2015 SG and love it my salesperson said rear of hull were same on SG and SE and from the windshield back the same only difference was the bows."

They really like weight and pretty sure they have all been loaded with over 6000lbs when ive been riding them.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/10248-july-picture-thread/?p=137074

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/10248-july-picture-thread/?p=137382

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/10248-july-picture-thread/?p=137882

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/10248-july-picture-thread/?p=137884

I personally would take a supra SE/SG over an RI237 all day. I think the wave is better, and the boat features/ fit and finish are sooo much better than an Ri in my opinion. it has a flip over rear bench seat (8 cupholders when not in use), sweet tweed/carbon flooring, rear board storage (like the 257 locker) fully articulating up down, side to side, and tilt drivers seat with heat, steering wheel controls. That being said I would still take an FS33/44 over both the supra or Ri just for the wave. Yes im that picky of the wave lol.

Edited by Lak3surf3r

DrNate    426

As usual, you are the man Lakesurfer.

I never cared for the FS series boats as far as the looks but if you say the wave is better I believe you. Is the SG any better than my 240?

• Like 1

DrNate    426

Thanks for all of the info. Reading back over those old threads, I kept confusing the SG for the SE. Good to know they are the same hulls and rears, just different bows. I love the look of the SG.

Lak3surf3r    714

As usual, you are the man Lakesurfer.

I never cared for the FS series boats as far as the looks but if you say the wave is better I believe you. Is the SG any better than my 240?

In all honesty im not the biggest fan of the FS boat look as well. Its not hideous but its not my favorite but the wave is by far my favorite.

I have never rode a 240 but have tons of time behind the 244. Im pretty sure its the same hull/wave, just the interior layout is different and the helm is pushed back from what i remember. Jon Shields 244 from worlds 2013 and Caro's old boat throw nasty waves along with Isaac and Gaby Hockleys are all super dialed and I would say are close but like I said those supras have all been overly slammed with weight that I rode so i would say the supra is better. Heres a good video of the wave of my kids ex BF and good family friends of ours riding with just the stock weight which is only like 3300lb or something like that which isnt very much for a boat that size. My Fx22 has 4250 in stock Pnp's i think lol.

SE is their pickle fork, SG is their traditional bow.

Edited by Lak3surf3r

DrNate    426

In all honesty im not the biggest fan of the FS boat look as well. Its not hideous but its not my favorite but the wave is by far my favorite.

I have never rode a 240 but have tons of time behind the 244. Im pretty sure its the same hull/wave, just the interior layout is different and the helm is pushed back. Jon Shields 244 from worlds 2013 and Caro's old boat throw nasty waves along with Isaac and Gaby Hockleys are all super dialed and I would say are close but like I said those supras have all been overly slammed with weight that I rode. Heres a good video of the wave of my kids ex BF and good family friend of ours riding with just the stock weight which is only like 3300lb or something like that which isnt very much for a boat that size. My Fx22 has 4250 in stock Pnp's i think lol.

Yes, 240 and 244 hulls and waves are identical, and yes, mine throws a killer wave still. But I have a wondering eye, and the SG has my attention :)

Stock wave of SG video didn't attach.

As usual, thanks for all of your info

Edited by DrNate

Lak3surf3r    714

Yes, 240 and 244 hulls and waves are identical, and yes, mine throws a killer wave still. But I have a wondering eye, and the SG has my attention :)

Stock wave of SG video didn't attach.

As usual, thanks for all of your info

Whoops, it should be there now. NP man!

DrNate    426

I have to say, the wave looks similar to my 240 on the regular side. I guess the main benefits would be better goofy wave and riding level. But of course I'd want to slam the snot out of it

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

wake9 also recently withdrew their sponsorship from Tige to go with Supra.

DrNate    426

wake9 also recently withdrew their sponsorship from Tige to go with Supra.

Yeah, I saw that. Not that I would buy a boat just because they switched, but I do respect those guys and everything they have done for the sport. Seems like there's always something new down the pipeline, seems like they have something in the works.

Cwazy1    89

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, after a few more iterations of autowake, its going to be awesome!

Lak3surf3r    714

I have to say, the wave looks similar to my 240 on the regular side. I guess the main benefits would be better goofy wave and riding level. But of course I'd want to slam the snot out of it

Both Supra comp boats I rode had 6000lbs total in them and were just as long and almost as steep as a 257 wave.

DrNate    426

Both Supra comp boats I rode had 6000lbs total in them and were just as long and almost as steep as a 257 wave.

impressive!

Darkside    248

But no one has went full retard in a 257...yet...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Smithjd11    0

For Supra info you need to go to the Moomba forum that is where all the newer Supra guys are at and they will answer all your questions the Supra forum never really took off and it is primarily for guys that have 20 year old boats that they are restoring,Sold my Moomba last year been on that site for awhile,thats why i am on here lurking for info on the Ri, Supra SE is by far there best surf boat,I am down to the Supra SE, Ri 237,257,and Tige RZX good luck in your search its not easy but has been fun.

Lak3surf3r    714

But no one has went full retard in a 257...yet... Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lmao true! I like your style darkside!

Howdy, we did a review of a 2016 SG, and the owner, Dan, is selling it, and getting another, same boat. He loves it. My experience with Supra was that I didn't like the wake as much say in 2014 or so, it was more rolled over, but to be honest, I didn't like it as much in the same way I didn't like the Centurion wake, and I mean no offense, we just prefer a more lippy wave, where the lip forms closer to the boat, like our RZX did. Either due to hull changes or just adjustments to their systems, or whatever, when we did this review I saw the kind of wake I really like, it was excellent. The interesting thing, if you really like the more rolled over wave, it is still there, you just weight/adjust a bit differently.

We moved to Supra because the wave is outstanding, and to our liking. Once you like another wave as much or better than your own or your previous fav, its about which boat is the BETTER boat. Some of that is more subjective, like style and layout, and some is less subjective like build quality, technology and engineering. We moved to Supra because the Wave was at least as good, more adjustable, and the quality, tech, engineering are spot on. This is just personal, but that SE, the style, layout, and looks on the water give me a chubby. ;-)

Here is the video review, hope it helps.

The Ri237 is a good boat and def makes a great surf wave, but I think there are plenty of folks on here that can tell you those details better than I. ;-)

Edited by ragboy(fatboy)
  • Like 1

NW Boat Sports    232

Robert, we're hearing the 257 was 'hands down' the favorite boat and wave at Polar Bear this year. You must disagree with the majority of the participants if you're going Supra?

Again, this is my personal opinion. And I will say this in this tight forum, but I left out of the review...

1. That boat rode SUPER bow high. It does not like weight in the front of the boat, and so it was sticking up pretty bad. The centurion lines normally have a bit of a rake, but this much more pronounced. So much so, the driver was having to stand a lot to see over the windshield. I also followed up and found out that wasn't a "we don't have the wake dialed in yet" issue. Sometimes something like that, people go, "oh, if we put the plate to here, then we can add weight up front and all is good." But after follow up, I was told it was the same.

2. The interior is HUGE no argument there, but it just doesn't feel like it is the quality you would expect for a boat of that price, and I have heard this from lots of others.

3. I would say that yes, the wave was VERY impressive, longest I have ever seen and people loved it. But I wouldn't say it "won the event" unless you are only counting what people said about the wave.

That said, I will say again, as I did in the video, the wave was great, I am still not very fond of that shape, but that is MY opinion. If we are only referring to the wave, anyone who buys that boat will most likely be happy and impress their friends. ;-)

Its funny, but when we resigned our previous relationship, some made comments asking me if I was going to Centurion because of what I said on the video. Just a bit of fun trivia there. ;-)

For the record, I went with Supra, because that is the boat we personally wanted to ride in, and that was the company we wanted to work with. I would have approached Centurion if I wanted an Ri257. (Not to say they would have had me, I have NO idea. ) I only approached one company. We try to be as honest as possible with that stuff, and I am glad you got to see the 257 wave do so well, because of that effort for honesty we felt if we tried to go to multiple places, that didn't fit. It was go big or go home from our perspectives, but again, much of that is based on my/our subjective opinions.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

Now when/if they resolve that weight issue, that boat would be much higher on my personal list of best waves. I also completely understand that many may not care or agree about the nose up issue. ;-)

carguy79ta    67

I personally don't like the bow in the air. hard to see over. I have a 257 on order but I like a longer wave so I will weight the bow. I tested a 237 and the bow was high. weighted it then using the cats was able to adjust the length of the wave to short steep or longer flatter