Typhoon08

Went to Big & Tall shop and they did not have any boards!

Typhoon08    5

OK......I have searched the archives and reached out to Bluesman who gave me some good advice. I have never tried surfing before but am going to next year with my kids as we just bought this Centurion and switched over from an I/O.

Me 6'1" 290lbs, son 5'5" and 135lbs (12yo), daughter 5'4' 120lbs (14yo). I know nothing more than what I have researched here. I am sure both kids will stick with it as they have done water sports all their lives and figured I would start with a basic board (liquid force - fish) for them. Seems to be a good value and as basic as basic can get to start them out on and keep long term for when they bring friend to the lake. My daughter is mild mannered and would most likely be happy sticking with that board. My son will most likely outgrow it within first year and then I can search for second board for him.

I on the other hand may or may not stick with it (my wife hates to drive) so will not get much opportunity. So not sure what kind of investment I want to make for myself not knowing if ill get to go very often or at all. I ran across a Hyperlight Landlock locally on craigslist. Says good for 110lbs to 300lbs Could this be true? Is it a possible solution for all 3 of us and a longterm boat board for beginners?

I look forward to your advice and thoughts.

Shaka    146

The Landlock is a slow board but it works for bigger guys. However, you're pretty big and it may not work for you. If I were you I'd get a boat board that everyone can ride firs and then branch off into individual boards for your kids. A good place to start is an Inland Surfer Tako. You can ride it although you will never let go of the rope. Chances are good you will never let go with a Landlock either. If you like it then get your own board. A custom board for big guys would be great as well as something like an Inland Surfer Red Rocket.

WakeDoc    471

Medium size skim for the kids and a big board like the Inland Surfer red rocket.

truekaotik    458

I agree you need two boards..

racer21    4

Agreed that you will need two boards. When I first surfed I was just over 250, after losing quite a bit of weight. I was torn between the Red Rocket and Blue Lake, but went with the Red Rocket, as I wanted to be sure I could get up... the blue lake would have worked fine.

I'm partial to the Inland Surfer, so echoing what others have said, the Red Rocket would be a good choice. I think I'd look out for a used Red Rocket or even a blue lake if one turned up.

I don't think either of those boards would good choice for the kids.

Typhoon08    5

Alright guys I appreciate the feedback. Blues man had told me to get red rocket or red woody already for me and something else for the kids. Again as the designated driver not sure how much time if at all I'll be out back so if their was a way for me to have a beginner board that would stretch the needs of all three and then become a good "beginner board" to keep for friends etc that would be ideal! Seems as if that would be an impossibility unless I put my fat butt on a diet. Nope......two boards are fine!

Thinking I do red rocket for me and tako for kids/boat board.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

That's perfect for first boards.

chadr    328

Alright guys I appreciate the feedback. Blues man had told me to get red rocket or red woody already for me and something else for the kids. Again as the designated driver not sure how much time if at all I'll be out back so if their was a way for me to have a beginner board that would stretch the needs of all three and then become a good "beginner board" to keep for friends etc that would be ideal! Seems as if that would be an impossibility unless I put my fat butt on a diet. Nope......two boards are fine!

Thinking I do red rocket for me and tako for kids/boat board.

Red rocket or Blue Lake is also a good one for you. Tako is great for an all around boat board!