jkriete    0

How many drain plugs are on the 2015 S226 motor? It has the 5.7 in it. I found 4. I just want to make sure I found them all.

Thanks.

viking    491

I'd double check the manual! I have the 409 so not same motor but I have 7 counting the V-drive plug. If you have a heater remember to disconnect and blow them out too!

How many drain plugs are on the 2015 S226 motor? It has the 5.7 in it. I found 4. I just want to make sure I found them all.

Thanks.

Should be 8 I believe...

2-block (knock sensors)

2-Cats

2-exhaust manifold

1- water pump

1- V drive

NW Boat Sports    232

Should be 8 I believe...

2-block (knock sensors)

2-Cats

2-exhaust manifold

1- water pump

1- V drive

Yes.

Block 1/2" & 1"

Exhaust elbows 11/16th's

Exhaust Manifolds 9/16th

Water Pump 9/16th

V-drive Use a 1/2 inch ratchet with extension.

Blow out the heater, water will come out of the water pump/block

Edited by NW Boat Sports
  • Like 2

Cwazy1    89

can someone actually explain how to fog these engines?

some people pull each spark plug and I've seen people just spray into the carb?

CO Surfer    289

Maybe some of the dealers can chime in but I called PCM the other day and asked him about fogging the engines. He told me not to do it. I even asked about pulling the spark plugs and spraying some fogging oil down into the cylinders and he said to not do that. He was a relatively new guy at PCM (been there for a year) so take my comment for what it's worth.

h20king    794

Maybe some of the dealers can chime in but I called PCM the other day and asked him about fogging the engines. He told me not to do it. I even asked about pulling the spark plugs and spraying some fogging oil down into the cylinders and he said to not do that. He was a relatively new guy at PCM (been there for a year) so take my comment for what it's worth.

Guess I could see that if you have a direct injection engine. Standard engine it's fine to fog

Some engines used to specify putting a little 2 cycle oil in the new fuel filter you put on and running it to get it into the cylinders. I wouldn't fog a modern engine or put any oil in there. When it burns it isn't good for that catalytic converters, which, if they end up being the same as cars, have a limited lifespan to start with. If you get contaminants on your O2 sensor as well, you might throw a code and have to take them out to clean them. Then you might have to have your dealer clear the code if it doesn't clear itself. I can't really see how much good you would do fogging anyway, you aren't protecting any rubber seals and I can't imagine your pistons & rings are going to get much more corrosion on them then when you let your boat sit for a week. Especially if they are aluminum, there won't be much that happens at all.

I think it says in the manual specifically not to fog anyway, but I'd have to look to verify.

Cwazy1    89

Did you inquire about a h5 or h6? Or did you ask about the ex343?

Cwazy1    89

Some engines used to specify putting a little 2 cycle oil in the new fuel filter you put on and running it to get it into the cylinders. I wouldn't fog a modern engine or put any oil in there. When it burns it isn't good for that catalytic converters, which, if they end up being the same as cars, have a limited lifespan to start with. If you get contaminants on your O2 sensor as well, you might throw a code and have to take them out to clean them. Then you might have to have your dealer clear the code if it doesn't clear itself. I can't really see how much good you would do fogging anyway, you aren't protecting any rubber seals and I can't imagine your pistons & rings are going to get much more corrosion on them then when you let your boat sit for a week. Especially if they are aluminum, there won't be much that happens at all.

I think it says in the manual specifically not to fog anyway, but I'd have to look to verify.

So you're saying that irregardless of whether it is DI or non direct inject, there is no benefit and only detriment to fog modern engines?

CO Surfer    289

Did you inquire about a h5 or h6? Or did you ask about the ex343?

I specifically asked about the H5. He was concerned about the effect the fogging would have on the exhaust. I'm pretty sure they use the same cats on all of their engines so as I understood him, his concerns would be the same for all engines PCM makes.

So you're saying that irregardless of whether it is DI or non direct inject, there is no benefit and only detriment to fog modern engines?

Pretty much. Depends on how you do it as well. If you introduce oil into the cylinders you might only screw up the cats. If you introduce oil prior to the injectors on a direct injection engine, it's going to pressurize that to some ridiculous pressure, 5000 psi or something crazy, I'm not really sure how much. With that you might be able to clog the injectors or even blow them before you get a chance to contaminate the cats. . All wakeboard boat engines have used cats for at least the past 4 or 5 years. Likely any ill affects would happen 8-10 years down the road, if ever. Put too much oil in there and you can hydrolock your engine as well. If you plan on storing your engine unused for 4-5 years or more, that's the only time I'd consider fogging.

But some stabil in the gas tank and run that through. That's about as much as you should do. I'm not convinced its anything but clever marketing, but I've never heard about it hurting anything except the wallet. I use it.

Cwazy1    89

Pretty much. Depends on how you do it as well. If you introduce oil into the cylinders you might only screw up the cats. If you introduce oil prior to the injectors on a direct injection engine, it's going to pressurize that to some ridiculous pressure, 5000 psi or something crazy, I'm not really sure how much. With that you might be able to clog the injectors or even blow them before you get a chance to contaminate the cats. . All wakeboard boat engines have used cats for at least the past 4 or 5 years. Likely any ill affects would happen 8-10 years down the road, if ever. Put too much oil in there and you can hydrolock your engine as well. If you plan on storing your engine unused for 4-5 years or more, that's the only time I'd consider fogging.

But some stabil in the gas tank and run that through. That's about as much as you should do. I'm not convinced its anything but clever marketing, but I've never heard about it hurting anything except the wallet. I use it.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. It definitely helps save a step as well. I am just use to fogging being a step in the procedure from my old merc black scorpion engine. But again as you were saying that engine was 10+ years old now.

• Like 1

Sfb330    11

If you have a pcm zr 409 engine the manual specificly says to take out the spark plugs and fog the engine. Also the heater core for that engine doesnt need to be drained as it has antifreeze from the engine running to it (assuming the antifreeze has the proper freezing temp).

h20king    794

Yes.

Block 1/2" & 1"

Exhaust elbows 11/16th's

Exhaust Manifolds 9/16th

Water Pump 9/16th

V-drive Use a 1/2 inch ratchet with extension.

Blow out the heater, water will come out of the water pump/block

also don't forget to remove hose form trans cooler and drain it as well

NW Boat Sports    232

also don't forget to remove hose form trans cooler and drain it as well

It drains out the v-drive plug but we do it just in case.

• Like 1

h20king    794

It drains out the v-drive plug but we do it just in case.

just added that because the manual said to pull it as well as the v drive plug. I know that you guys pull it and even called Ryan to make sure I did not miss anything. Wish there was a way to just add air and back blow everything. I was surprised how difficult it was to winterize with the quick fill tanks. The engine sits so far down I had to use a mirror to be able to see the knock sensors and the trans cooler was no easy task either LOL

NW Boat Sports    232

just added that because the manual said to pull it as well as the v drive plug. I know that you guys pull it and even called Ryan to make sure I did not miss anything. Wish there was a way to just add air and back blow everything. I was surprised how difficult it was to winterize with the quick fill tanks. The engine sits so far down I had to use a mirror to be able to see the knock sensors and the trans cooler was no easy task either LOL

I got it down by feel now :)

Slowly blowing the heater out with compressed air gun removes a lot of water our the circ pump and block plugs.

• Like 1

Wet dreams    0

Any chance you know if I should fog my engine. It's a 2004 merc 350 mag mpi. Fuel injected.