Sign in to follow this  
Dreamer

CGA vests

Dreamer    96

Looking to get my teenagers some new CGA vests. What models are the most 'comp' like? We're not fans of the big bulky life vests but want approved ones for our kids and their friends.

Cdifranco    463

I've always found for life vests you have to try them on.. I've spent up to 150$ online and hated it after half the season and have got life vests for 15$ from ocean state job lot and loved them.. to this day, I rock one that ran me 30$, and it floats me fine!

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

I think most of our CGA vests came from West Marine. My son worked there for a few summers......we have had them a while and they still look good.

Jake707    171

We got a few Body Glove neoprene vests that are still the zipper and clip style in he front but not too bulky and they float great and are cg approved. My friend brought his oneil pull over vest one time because he swore by it. The dam thing barely floats and I mean barely! If he didn't have the board with him I thin he would have been swimming waiting for the boat to come back. Hell it even says inside not cg approved. No thanks. I'll stay with a little bulkier version of there is no worries about floating or getting a ticket by the sherif.

Jake707    171

We got a few Body Glove neoprene vests that are still the zipper and clip style in he front but not too bulky and they float great and are cg approved. My friend brought his oneil pull over vest one time because he swore by it. The dam thing barely floats and I mean barely! If he didn't have the board with him I thin he would have been swimming waiting for the boat to come back. Hell it even says inside not cg approved. No thanks. I'll stay with a little bulkier version of there is no worries about floating or getting a ticket by the sherif.

Copenglenn    44

I bought an oneil neoprene jacket this year and really like it. The buckles are inside the jacket and the zipper and outer flap cover them up. It wasn't cheap but it is CGA, fits well, and looks good. I had friends buy the same jacket as well and they like it too.

The new P5 vests are not CGA but they float me better than any non-CGA vest I have ever worn. I let my kids wear them but I do use CGA for non-family members when they are surfing.

daz28iroc    73

Costco vests add 1 or 2 every spring and throw out the rattiest ones. Were body glove back in the day,I think o'neill now. they get better every year and go for 45$cdn I believe. They go quick.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Costco vests add 1 or 2 every spring and throw out the rattiest ones. Were body glove back in the day,I think o'neill now. they get better every year and go for 45$cdn I believe. They go quick.

They had shorty wetsuits for $20 last month. I should have grabbed a couple but I didn't.

For vests, I've had a Liquid Force vest for six years and it's held up really well. Other than stretching out a bit, it's as good as new.

Bought a very expensive, wonderfully soft Ronix vest last year and it's already toast. Absolutely LOVED this vest. The material they used on just the one side (?) has cracked and come apart at the seam. So now it's super loose. post-848-0-45458600-1475364866_thumb.jpeg

I've taken it to my dealer and they're trying to get it warranty'd. I'll be surprised if they do anything for me, but it's worth a try.

So now I'm rocking the BodyGlove Centurion jacket. It's very nice, but doesn't quite fit me as good as the Ronix. May have to check out the P5 vests now!

DarksideR    1,679

I should add that I always hang up the jackets in my garage as soon as we're home. They spend very little time in the sun.

Bongo Fury    640

I should add that I always hang up the jackets in my garage as soon as we're home. They spend very little time in the sun.

X2...Always!!!

Copenglenn    44

I think they are stearns and hyperlite. They are good looking jackets.

Cwazy1    89

Oneill revenge jacket is one of the best jackets I've ever had. Its super light, drains water immediately through the bottom edge open mesh, highly flexible, and has the best lumbar support in any jacket.