Mrdeerwood

FS33 FS44 prop hull burn?

Cdifranco    463

Yes, mine from the factory 15" prop was much worse than that.

blows my mind this is the kind of quality you get for +100k.

Mrdeerwood    26

blows my mind this is the kind of quality you get for +100k.

Couldn't agree more. The band aid is a joke also. Just talked to a buddy that got one on his new Ri237 and the plate doesn't even fit flush to his bubble. He lost a ton of prop clearance. I'm sure he will be starting a thread...

volzalum    280

Yes, the plates do not fit the bubble. I lost ⅝ inch clearance on mine between thickness of plate and location of plate bubble. I tried to convince the factory to let the installer get the plate bubble shaped better and etch the gel coat to make the plate fit flush (on my dime not theirs), but factory stated they would void my entire warranty if they did that so alas, mine will not fit a prop larger than 14 anymore. The 14 fits tighter than the 15 did before, but the plate is not going to burn like the gel.

Mrdeerwood    26

Yes, the plates do not fit the bubble. I lost ⅝ inch clearance on mine between thickness of plate and location of plate bubble. I tried to convince the factory to let the installer get the plate bubble shaped better and etch the gel coat to make the plate fit flush (on my dime not theirs), but factory stated they would void my entire warranty if they did that so alas, mine will not fit a prop larger than 14 anymore. The 14 fits tighter than the 15 did before, but the plate is not going to burn like the gel.

The general recommendation from anyone in the prop world is 10% clearance. You should have at least 1.4" then... Probably didn't even have that when boat was new. The fact that they can't even make a plate that fits flush with the contour of the boat for repair is really saddening!!!

Mrdeerwood    26

Vol, can you verify yours actually came from the factory with a 15" prop? What motor?

Edited by Mrdeerwood

doug743    53

i have not checked mine but will soon

volzalum    280

Vol, can you verify yours actually came from the factory with a 15" prop? What motor?

Yes. Mine with the XR550 came from the factory with an Acme 2279 15 x 15.75 x 0.105 cup.

Mrdeerwood    26

Yes. Mine with the XR550 came from the factory with an Acme 2279 15 x 15.75 x 0.105 cup.

You must have only had around 1/2" clearance from the factory then right? How many hours did it take to burn?

stoked    1,039

One thing I've noticed here is I've only seen photos of hull burn for those with non-white hulls (by all means someone correct me if I'm wrong). I wonder if the colored hull is a little thicker, and thus less clearance, with the additional paint? Because I'm running the exact same boat with a 1615 for 60 hours now and nothing.

viking    491

Good question Stoked but I think first posted issue was Zonk with a white hull bottom. But rest of them have all been colored that I know of.

I'm at 100hrs on my 226 with no gel burn like others have had and running Hi-Alt 1847 prop

stoked    1,039

What prop was Zonk running? My theory is because mrdeerwood has the exact same boat and exact same prop as me, the 1615 and he has burn and I don't. The 1847 is half an inch smaller so I would think no one would get burn with that. I have a little more than an inch of clearance with my 1615, acme told me not to go below 3/4.

viking    491

He was running same 1847. Both Zonk and I have white bottoms. On the 226 there is only 3/8" clearance running this prop and he got burn.

Think it was the first post of the issue on either Supreme/Centurion on the forum? I've been extremely worried it's going to show up on mine with such little clearance but not as of yet!

stoked    1,039

That would worry me too!!! It's really confusing that it burns on one but not the other. Could it be due to how the boat is commonly weighted then? Mrdeerwood uses QS more, I don't touch it. There has to be some difference.

Mrdeerwood, can you measure the clearance you have between prop and hull?

Edited by stoked

viking    491

I didn't option mine with QS and not certain if Zonk has it or not. Maybe that is the issue? I list mine exclusively so I'd be interested if any members with prop burn are evenly weighting and that (plus minimal clearance) is the cause??

stoked    1,039

That and I wonder if they changed the bubble size at some point

Mrdeerwood    26

Stoked you could be on to something. With the 1615 I only had 3/4" clearance and my 1847 had just over a 1". Maybe the colored gel is a little thicker. Also maybe most guys with white hulls don't notice the minor pitting associated with the begining signs of hull burn.

Just to be sure we have he same boats... 2015 FS33, ZR409, ACME 1615 prop?

Also I think load is a very high contributing factor to burn. I ran 60 hours with the 1615 with no problems. I just recently started trying to really dial in my port QS wave. I used to run the Rams at 100% & 80% with all PNP's full. The weekend it burned I was running both Rams overfill and all PNPS overfill. (I always overfill when trying to reach 100% to make sure I'm actually full). It seemed to QS better evenly loaded. Plus the tab is at 60. Between the QS and tab drag and all that extra weight from filling all ballast I'm pretty sure that's why I got the burn.

stoked    1,039

Yup, exact same boat, 2015 FS33, PCM 409, 1615 prop. Do you know when yours was built? Mine rolled out of the factory May 2015.

I've checked mine and I have very very very minor pitting which I noticed after running a 2279 for 20-30 hours. It hasn't gotten any worse since switching down to the 1615

viking    491

I haven't heard of any of the 226's with bubble getting the burn. Issue was with the 2015's and no bubble. But they may have changed the prop diameter as well for 2016+?

Interesting that even your boats with the bubble are having the issue and it seems the issues have been isolated to 2015's on both brands???

I'm thinking more and more that the main cause might be related to QuickSurf being it was the first model release..................HMMMM

Mrdeerwood    26

It's happening on the 2016 Ri237 also with the bubble... Again, high loads with all that ballast and QS...

Mrdeerwood    26

Yup, exact same boat, 2015 FS33, PCM 409, 1615 prop. Do you know when yours was built? Mine rolled out of the factory May 2015.

Spring 2015, engine says 3/2015 not exactly sure when it went through the the factory... Bought it this spring as a demo...