MobEnzo

Stereo Upgrade

truekaotik    458

That's not factory that I've seen...

DarksideR    1,679

How do I hook up a pair of rev10's to the xm15.4 bridged? RCA split to front and rear? Left and right speaker wires to the set screws I have backed out in pic?

post-848-0-97455500-1466725041_thumb.jpegpost-848-0-32548400-1466725057_thumb.jpeg

truekaotik    458

No Hablo espanial???

Haha

That will work without me Looking up the manual...

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

volzalum    280

How do I hook up a pair of rev10's to the xm15.4 bridged? RCA split to front and rear? Left and right speaker wires to the set screws I have backed out in pic?

In 2 channel mode don't you use just front inputs and hook bridged like 2nd picture?

DarksideR    1,679

In 2 channel mode don't you use just front inputs and hook bridged like 2nd picture?

I've been trying to figure that out.

Why is there an "output" set of rca plugs??? Maybe that's where you go for two channel. But output doesn't make sense.

h20king    794

I believe the output set of rca's is so you can chain multiple amps off a single input signal.

• Like 2

truekaotik    458

Ok here we go... Flip the switch to 2 channel mode. One pair of RCAs to front input. Bridge each bank to one rev.

The output is for other amplifiers if you want to use them like H said...

• Like 2

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks guys. Total novice here. Appreciate the help!

MobEnzo    51

Reviving my old thread. I've narrowed down my current plan to keep speakers as-is, but add an amp/s and WS 420 to get zone control. I see the new kicker marine amps now offer 800.8 amp. Seems like that would be sufficient for 4 zones in boat and 2 bridged? for tower?  If I decide to add sub, I would get a dedicated amp for it. Also if I upgrade tower speakers seems like the output of 800.8 would be sufficient? Just for reference I can get too good of a deal on kicker amps to pass up...

Thanks!

truekaotik    458

You cannot run two tower speakers of a amp bridging two channels. It will drop the impedance too low on the amplifier. You will want to run each channel to a pod. 

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146
35 minutes ago, truekaotik said:

You cannot run two tower speakers of a amp bridging two channels. It will drop the impedance too low on the amplifier. You will want to run each channel to a pod. 

Run each pair series then bridged all day long. Same load per chnl as 4 chnl stereo, but with less cabling. 

truekaotik    458
2 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

Run each pair series then bridged all day long. Same load per chnl as 4 chnl stereo, but with less cabling. 

Sure if that is the route you want to take. 

MobEnzo    51

Thanks guys! I'll check specs on speakers and see what they can handle. Maybe I'm overthinking things... If I have 8 channels and 8 speakers I could just go direct to each. Was mainly thinking with the 4 cup holder speakers could go parallel with those and then would have two channels free. I thought that would mean I have the option to send more power to towers... Which my current tower speakers likely don't need, but was thinking ahead, if I were to upgrade them. At any rate it seems like the 800.8 would give me options.

Wylie_Tunes    146
17 hours ago, truekaotik said:

Sure if that is the route you want to take. 

Why not take that route? As noted, same wattage to speakers as if they are run 4 chnl stereo but less cabling is needed. All pro's in my book. Can still be run stereo for those that think they can hear it wake boarding. 

MobEnzo    51

I received some goodies yesterday! I did buy the kicker zone volume knobs, seemed like a nice way to turn up or down tower or cabin speakers separately.

IMG_0180.JPG.161c931edb5b05664380b767045333bf.JPG

I'm reading through a bunch of diagrams on the Blue Sea add a battery. This one seems cleanest. https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+sea+add+a+battery&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS590US591&hl=en-US&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii_bXxxtbUAhUS84MKHYk6CuoQ_AUICygD&biw=1024&bih=653&dpr=2#imgrc=LmfHXJtiqvHZqM: I assume I run amp power right from the top number 2 post on the Blue Sea switch?

Once I have power squared away, then speaker wiring, which may be a pain. I checked both sets of cup holder speakers. They're wired in series, and from what I can tell tower speakers are tied in there too.  Trying to decide if I should run all new wire. Oh and need to get supplies for mounting amp. From what I've read on hear, cut hdpe to size, cut carpet where I want to attach hope and glue? Any recs on glue?

Thanks guys!

MobEnzo    51

Tracked down all of the speaker wiring and what colors at the head unit are going to which speakers. As mentioned cup holder speakers and towers are all coming from single set of wires from head unit - didn't track down if they were in series or parallel. My current thought is to only run new wire for towers to put on separate channels.

Factory wire gauge seems a little light, but are there other advantages to rewiring all speakers?

Does it matter that cup holder speakers are on the same channel?

I also identified that the in boat speakers are Kicker km613 4ohm.

Here's a pic of how the cup holder and tower speakers are tied together. The brown and grey wires go up into the tower. Those are very small gauge...20170625_115404.jpg.5dcfe95da8cbe379db79c5c470188267.jpg

Thanks!

MobEnzo    51

20170818_212751.jpg.85e7f3a4bedfa35a7143425ae5955a46.jpgFinally have everything wired in! However, something is not working right with the inputs. I get sound in all of the speakers, but I'm not getting any zone control. Manual says to have amp faders set to off if they have their own rca inputs. However, I can unplug them and still get sound out of speakers that I wouldn't expect to. This is a kxm 800.5 amp. Attached is a pic of the inputs. I'm trying to use the kicker zxmrlc for zone control. Thoughts? 

MobEnzo    51

Here's a pic that includes the zone controller.

20170818_212810.jpg.e94dcf4d98a87ed137433eb990046c9a.jpg

Wylie_Tunes    146

I would certainly enlist the help of your Kicker retailer/installer, thats what they are there for.

Looks as if you actually have the new KXMA800.8 8 chnl amp, rather then the 5 chnl amp. 

I see a 4 chnl RCA with 2 chnls coming into the AMP-1 and the other 2 going to the ZXM-RLC. Then I see the outputs going to AMP-3 and AMP-4. What speakers are wired to amp chnls 3/4, 5/6? Are you also wanting chnl 7/8 to be controlled by the ZXM along with chnls 5/6? 

What speakers are wired to AMP-1

What is the response when you turn the zone control dials up and down? Do an amp chnls respond to the ZXM-RLC? 

MobEnzo    51

You're correct wylie, it is the 800.8. For some reason I had 800.5 in my head.

Wiring is:

4 channel out of head unit, front channels go into amp 1. rear channels go into zxmrlc and zone 1 into amp 2 and zone 2 into amp 3.

Amp 1 has bow speakers

Amp 2 has main cabin speakers

Amp 3 has tower speakers

I don't get a response from zone volume knobs. I tried disconnecting rca to see if they were doing anything, and sound still came through with both channels disconnected. So it seems the front channel is driving all of the speakers?

I confirmed the head unit is set to send output through the rear channel.

Thanks Wylie!