Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Cool New Wet Sounds Gizmo

Shaka    146

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-220BT.html

It looks like a great alternative to those of us who use our stereos for EQ and sources besides Bluetooth. It also means I can keep using my stereo remote on my dash.

Price seems a bit steep for a zone controller.

Nick213    583

Yep.... I have a ps8 processor so no need for a eq. So I'll be putting one in my boat for zone control and loud mic!

DarksideR    1,679

So... it's like a 420 without the tonal controls?

Shaka    146

So... it's like a 420 without the tonal controls?

That's what it looks like to me. Frankly it's appealing because I run Bluetooth through my stereo so I have EQ and other control there. Keeping the factory head unit also allows my remote to remain functional which for me is preferable to fiddling with my phone when I want to skip a song. Also there's one more zone if you want that. I imagine I could use that extra zone for the bow speakers.

What I can't figure out is why it costs the same as the 420BT.

Nick213    583

It has 4 zone control, loud mic and Bluetooth. No eq, from what I heard it was built for people that use processors instead of eq's. Makes it a perfect application for me ;)

Wylie_Tunes    146

It will fit well in large boats like cruisers. Transom speakers, bow rail speakers, salon speakers, cabin speakers and arch speakers. Lots of potential zones there well beyond in-boats and tower speakers. Still worth the investment even if the integrate BT is not needed.

The WS220BT cna still go in between a traditional source unit and amp, just like the WS-420, and helm and transom remotes can still be functional. These devices do not bypass those remotes, but they do change how the remotes are used. The only time a remote, or main source unit is bypassed, is when the input mode is switch from main to AUX or BT. My advice there, put your universal BT into the head units AUX rather than downstream in the EQ or zone controller.

Shaka    146

BT. My advice there, put your universal BT into the head units AUX rather than downstream in the EQ or zone controller.

My head unit has BT so no big deal just to use it. It also does all the crossover stuff.

Wylie_Tunes    146

I would not confuse equalizer setting like what the 420 has and cross over settings like you find on an external amplifier. Both have a purpose but are not the same thing. Both can be found in some head-unit though. If you have external amps, id suggest using their active cross-overs, over the head-units.

shaka, I guess I misunderstood what you meany by the ws-220 would allow you to keep using your remote. It seemed to imply that the ws-420SQ or BT would not. I just want to clarify to anyone following along, that the 420 and 220 will both function in the same regards, to a main source unit;s remotes. They can still be used, but how they are used may change just a little.

Shaka    146

I would not confuse equalizer setting like what the 420 has and cross over settings like you find on an external amplifier. Both have a purpose but are not the same thing. Both can be found in some head-unit though. If you have external amps, id suggest using their active cross-overs, over the head-units.

shaka, I guess I misunderstood what you meany by the ws-220 would allow you to keep using your remote. It seemed to imply that the ws-420SQ or BT would not. I just want to clarify to anyone following along, that the 420 and 220 will both function in the same regards, to a main source unit;s remotes. They can still be used, but how they are used may change just a little. I

I really do not have an issue with the 420. To me the beauty of the 420 is that it makes head units obsolete for most of us. You can use its Aux and Bluetooth inputs to play music and have an on-board EQ for tone shaping. The rub is that those of us who upgrade to something like the 420 end up having head units and remotes that have essentially become bricks simply because everything can be played through the 420. This of course comes at a price because your remote isn't going to change the song when your iPhone is connected directly in the 420. To be honest if I were to order a new boat I'd bag a standard head unite and remotes and just go for something like the 420.

I think the beauty of the 220 is that it really doesn't obsolete your head unit or remotes.

viking    491

I still don't see why everybody thinks the 420 makes the HU obsolete?

I like having all the options. Majority of time we use a USB drive with HU control and functioning transom remote (wife on board) :) ) So having zone control and mic over towers is a great function and still full use of remotes. If I want I can pair my android phone to the HU and use playlist from there with remote function. If I don't care about using the remotes I can just pair the BTVC to my phone and change SRC on the WS420 and bypass the HU all together.

Each system can be setup based on the owner/user's priorities. Quite frankly I wanted options and love that I'm not tied to any one way!

• Like 2

truekaotik    458

I really do not have an issue with the 420. To me the beauty of the 420 is that it makes head units obsolete for most of us. You can use its Aux and Bluetooth inputs to play music and have an on-board EQ for tone shaping. The rub is that those of us who upgrade to something like the 420 end up having head units and remotes that have essentially become bricks simply because everything can be played through the 420. This of course comes at a price because your remote isn't going to change the song when your iPhone is connected directly in the 420. To be honest if I were to order a new boat I'd bag a standard head unite and remotes and just go for something like the 420.

I think the beauty of the 220 is that it really doesn't obsolete your head unit or remotes.

Like Wylie said though, the 420BT and 220BT are the same piece, only difference is the 220 drops the EQ and adds a extra zone. It also has bigger knobs for all the zones.

So the 220 doesn't obsolete your head unit and remotes any better is what I think he was saying as they connect the same and have basically the same internals.

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1