Sign in to follow this  
RhuntIII

Wet Sounds Speaker difference

RhuntIII    555

I'm looking into a Wet Sounds set up for a fishing boat and limited to the 6.5" due to spacing and existing speakers.

What is the difference between the XS-650 and the XS-65i. I'm assuming that the difference between XS and the SW is just the covers, what makes one more suitable in saltwater over the other?

Next, Lets move to an amp, Amp recommendations for running 6-6.5s'? There will be 4 speakers mounted into the bow facing back toward the boat and 2 mounted in the console facing out port/starboard.

WakeDoc    471

Difference between 650 and 65i is power and price. Amp really depends on what speakers and how much power you really want. Also do you want to add a sub at some point?

truekaotik    458

The difference between the 65i and the 650 is power handling capabilities for the big one. Also the 65i has a aluminum tweeter and the 650 has a titanium tweeter. They both come in Salt water series which is just a more enclosed grill than the original grill.

Amplifier choices would be

HT-4 will give you 75 watts for 4 and 100 for 2 speakers.

Syn4 will give you 100 watts to 4 and 125 for 2 speakers.

HT6 will give you 100-110 watts for all 6 speakers.

Kicker kxm4004 will give you 100 watts to each speaker.

These are 14.4 volt readings so drop each by 25% and that's closer to the wattage you will see.

Yeah other brands will work. This is all I feel like posting right now.. :)

Why did you post this in Supreme and not CCC audio?

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

RhuntIII    555

The difference between the 65i and the 650 is power handling capabilities for the big one. Also the 65i has a aluminum tweeter and the 650 has a titanium tweeter. They both come in Salt water series which is just a more enclosed grill than the original grill.

Amplifier choices would be

HT-4 will give you 75 watts for 4 and 100 for 2 speakers.

Syn4 will give you 100 watts to 4 and 125 for 2 speakers.

HT6 will give you 100-110 watts for all 6 speakers.

Kicker kxm4004 will give you 100 watts to each speaker.

These are 14.4 volt readings so drop each by 25% and that's closer to the wattage you will see.

Yeah other brands will work. This is all I feel like posting right now.. :)

Why did you post this in Supreme and not CCC audio?

Man that was an over site on my part for sure. I guess I got lost before my second cup of coffee this morning.

If the Admin would be so kind to relocate this post to the marine audio that would be awesome. Might even help others in the future.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

No future sub

Wylie_Tunes    146

The 650 series, whether its the XS- or SW, has a larger voice coil, larger magnet, more excursion. All this equates to more output even when powered with identical wattage and tuned the same. The 650 series has a larger 1" tweeter where as the 65 has a smaller .75". This means greater output of the higher ranges as well as a smoother transition from the mid-bass to the higher frequencies. Just like a mid-bass cone, a larger tweeter yields deeper miid-bass extension. This larger tweeter can be an advantage when competing against wind, engine and water noise while on plane. Both are excellent sounding and performing speakers, but there is a clear difference between the two when demo'd A/B.

Amp wise, both models perform great on a wide range of wattage. For 3 pair, its hard to beat the watts to $$$ of the HT-6/HTX-6 @ 100W rms to each and all chnls running at 4 ohm. With the HT-4 on clearance right now, thats a ton of marine amp for just $230. This would net you 75W rms to each. If you do go with the 650 series, I would seriously consider the new SYN-DX 6. 125 x 4 @ 4 on 1-4 and 150 x 2 @ 4 on 5-6. Happy medium between the HTX-6 and SD-6.

Normally, I would not hesitate to recommend the Kicker KXM400.4 (only 50W rms to each). Good match for the 65 series and the 650 will still perform nicely, just not driven to its full potential. However, back to the price of the HT-4 (while available) you just cant beat that right now.

Nick213    583

Rhunt, my recommendation would be 650's and arc ks 300.4's JMO

truekaotik    458

My bad... Typo on the Kicker4004, it's 50 watts a speaker not 100 like I typed.. Oops

So again like Doc and I said.... Price, power handling (it can only handle more power with bigger Internals), and tweeter make up are the Only differences.

As for the amplifiers, HT and HTX basically same power but fixed issue with HT. Syn and SynDX are same power but SynDX are now sealed class D.

Edited by truekaotik

Nick213    583

Come to think of it..... When I get my boat back I'll have a arc XDi 1200.6 for sale. I only have a few hours of play time on it (Truek) can vouch on that ;) Id even give you one heck of a bro deal on it bra :)

Edited by Nick213
  • Like 1

truekaotik    458

Nicks option would be good if it was going in a enclosed area free of moisture and water. Fishing boats this is difficult to apply, For this I would choose a marine amplifier. BUT it is your call...

RhuntIII    555

So it's looking like 6- 65is. Which amp will be best for running these 6 speakers at their best potential?

• Like 1

Nick213    583

XDi 1200.6 ;) lol

Let's see what Truek says.

Is this your fishing boat or a friends?

h20king    794

I'm going to run a HT6 for six of them. It's what comes stock so going to make due.

RhuntIII    555

This is a friend of mine that I've know since 2nd grade (more like a brother) He want's me to put in a sound system in his boat after seeing what I did in the Big Toe. I told him I would help then I couldn't get him out of my engine compartment. Fuel separator, water pump and oil filter have been changed for the season.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

HTX6 is what I'm gonna say for headroom

HT4 for a deal...

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

RhuntIII    555

So this HTX6 will put out 100RMS watts to each of the 6 XS-65is? These speakers are rated at 60 RMS watts and a peak of 120watts. Could this damage the speakers, can the amp be tuned down so not to damage? Or is this what the amp is designed to do with these speakers?

Wylie_Tunes    146

So this HTX6 will put out 100RMS watts to each of the 6 XS-65is? These speakers are rated at 60 RMS watts and a peak of 120watts. Could this damage the speakers, can the amp be tuned down so not to damage? Or is this what the amp is designed to do with these speakers?

Corvette can go 55 MPH just like a VW bug. Its easier to throttle back the out out via gain and volume level, but you cant make the amp make more power. If budget and mounting space are not a tight confining factor, go with the 6 chnl. All chnls running 4 ohm and 100W rms. This kinf of wattage will drive them to their potential. The Arc XDi 1200.6 will also with its 150W rms x 6.

Before choosing speakers, can you get a side by side demo?

truekaotik    458

Yes, it will put out roughly 75 watts to each 65i tuned at 12.5 volts. This also gives them dynamic headroom ( extra power to pull from) in the amplifier for them bright and long lived ensembles. When running you will gain a bit, but with what your doing this is nothing to note. It will not damage the speaker if tuned properly. I think the xs650's would be a better fit though for your application... You can keep the HTX thought or do the XDi if you think it will be ok for prolly the same price or less through Nick... Choices...

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 2

Nick213    583

Rhunt,

I've done a bunch of research and have had a number of different products. What I've learned outta them is you gain a lot out of a system when you give a speaker more power then the RMS and tune it correctly.

First and foremost is sound quality, and reliability in the amps and battery's.

So the way it was explained to me is this.....

When you tune a amp down to what the speaker can handle it is not working hard to push the speaker and has the power threw every note i.e. The amp holds more power then what would ever be drawn from it. Therefor the amp stays cool and doesn't heat up and cut out after hours and hours of being cranked up.

Kinda like running a V8 car at 2500 RPM for 6 hour or running a 4 cylinder car at 6500 RPM for the same amount of time. The V8 at lower RPM is gonna not struggle, have power when needed and use less gas then the 4 cylinder at high RPM and struggle get hot, and not have any power left when you go up a hill.

I'm no expert just passing on the info I was given when deciding to spend a lot of money on these high quality sound systems.

• Like 1