stoked

Winterizing PCM 409

DrNate    426

I definitely would replace the impeller after running it dry. Did you ask them if they closed any valves?

Yes, I forgot to add that the tech said he did not close any valves. I will check to be sure obviously

Sfb330    11

Very comprehensive write up, much appreciated. I have the same engine so I got to enjoy searching for all those plugs as well. The service dept. at the local centurion dealership (up in Alberta where it gets cold as hell during winter) told me to not bother pumping antifreeze back in. Said to leave the drain plugs out as per the manuals water flow instructions and stick them back in in the spring. He said this is what they do with their boats. He said they will put the plugs in and refill with antifreeze if the customer wants the system primed and ready to go, eliminating the need for spring service work..

I called another centurion dealership just to make sure and they do the same thing.

I have six ballast pumps on my 2013 sv244. They are all at high points in the engine compartment. The hoses coming in and out of each pump both go down and are dry (clear see through plastic). I didn't winterize these pumps. I guess there is the potential that water could still be in there. I'm wondering if I should be doing some form of winterization on these... Has anyone else had any issues come spring by doing nothing?

Edited by Sfb330

stoked    1,039

I haven't had issues with the pumps, but I also put antifreeze through them. You can mess around with a fake a lake, but I just disconnect the fill on each bag and put a funnel in it. Then run the pumps on reverse while dumping antifreeze down it. If you only run separate fills and cartridge drains, you may want to fiddle with the fake a lake, I just never had really good luck with them between getting around the bunks on the trailer, getting them to seal, and getting to actually suck antifreeze up (since it's not under pressure coming out of the bucket like water from a hose is). Which reminds me, anyone want two fake a lakes? Just pay the shipping and they're all yours!

I like piece of mind with the antifreeze in the engine. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy to have an open hole into my block, especially because we live on brackish water and have salt in the air. So I seal her up and fill her with some non-alcohol anti-freeze. All the big boys where I live fill with antifreeze, if it works for a 42 ft searay, it works for me!

viking    491

It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy to have an open hole into my block

Good point stoked. I'm the same way. I know I do overkill by draining, flushing with anti-freeze, then drain again, and plugs back in. But that helps me sleep soundly all winter long! It's the best of all worlds because I'm ready to go in spring, any residual fluids left anywhere in the lines/engine is freezeproof and protects from rust, I get to tinker on the boat which I enjoy anyway, and I still save a bunch of $$ over having a dealer do it.

I might add that there is no Supreme/Centurion dealer within a few hundred mile of me anyway and my 226 stays in a heated shop all winter long :drinks:

• Like 2

Sfb330    11

good idea on dumping antifreeze down the funnel and running the pumps in reverse. I'll give that a try this weekend. no sense chancing wrecking those pumps.

Sfb330    11

So I sucked antifreeze through my 4 pnp ballast pumps. I couldnt find the pumps for the quick fill hard ballast tanks (one on either side of the boat with a big plate style valve at the back next to the transom). The boat is a 2013 sv244. Does anyone know wher those pumps might be located?

NW Boat Sports    232

Quick fill doesn't use pumps, just valves. Leave them open for the winter. If you have the old drain master valves, lube them up and open and close them several times before leaving them open for the winter..

Edited by NW Boat Sports

Sfb330    11

Does it work by opening the big valve near the transom and the water just pours into the hard tanks with gravity(the top of the hard tanks must be below the water surface elevation)? Assuming you need to be stationary for it to fill and then moving for it to empty? Apologies for all the rookie questions...

stoked    1,039

Correct, for quickfill you are stationary to fill, and moving to empty.

Cdifranco    463

I don't keep my QuickFills open over the winter. To me that's a perfect spot for a rat or mouse to make a home. Open them up and drive around a little on the trailer it'll drain out, I close them up after for storage.

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

Old drainmasters?? Going to round up and say It's 2017, no one should still be talking about even having old drainmasters, literally throw them out. Lol