DarksideR    1,679

While I've been very happy with my custom ShredStixx board, after trying out a new Soulcraft Emily I think it's time to add a Soulcraft to the quiver. The Emily was a Twin fin but also comes as a Twinzer. After doing a bit of internet searching it would seem that a Twinzer has better hold than a Twin, but not as locked in as a full Quad. Then there's the Sixer... I know I should just get ahold of Jeff and explain what I want, but was hoping that the Crew can give me a little insight to this before taking the next step.

h20king    794

I would go with a Jimmy 6 and pick up some fin box plugs. You can try all the different fin set ups then plug the ones you decide not to use. It is easier to plug fin boxes then to have them added later.

• Like 1

Dandy    43

Dark - not sure if this will help or not, but below I have copied a post written by Nick @ ShredStixx USA/Chaos with regards to different fin set ups. Hoping this may help you out

QUOTE BELOW:

First, fins make a huge difference.

Secondly, it is not a thruster unless it is set in a specific 3 fin setting. It is not a 3 fin if no center fin is use, then it is a twin fin. A twin fin with canards or c5s is not technically a twinzer, and definitely not a quad, but for the purposes of wakesurfing twinzer or twinzer like is close enough.

I disagree that a quad feels slower down the line, in fact it will be faster typically. People confuse looseness with speed. A loose board is not necessarily fast. A loose board is just loose and feels like it has more lift and is easier to move around. Quad fins are, particularly quad fins set up properly, faster than a twin, or a thruster.

2: All 4 fins - shorter in front w/taller in back. A quad set up with larger fins in the back in wakesurfing is generally a clear indication the person does not know what they are doing. Unfortunately, people often put fins in backwards, right fins on the left side, and rear fins in the front and vice versus.
Generally speaking a quad set up with fins in excess of 4" in the rear is going to feel more locked in. In the ocean you see this on wider tailed boards that need more hold to keep the tail from sliding out. This is not what you are looking for in wakesurfing.

Drive is speed. More fins, generally speaking, equals faster, but might provide too much hold. A sixer is very fast, the fastest fin configuration used on wake surfboard, but will feel more locked in down the line depending on the board and the specific configuration.

Fins/fin boxes are placed either spread/widely separated or close together/tight. In a tight configuration the fin area is lessened and the fins act more as one, in a wide or spread fin set up the fins act more independently. When fins are placed close together larger/taller fins are often used.

Fin height. Taller fins are generally for larger waves and controlling the power of larger waves and to an extent larger people. The larger people factor is less important in wakesurfing, than in the ocean.

Fins designed for riding waves in the ocean are not ideal for wakesurfing. Some ocean fins are better than others. You want to look for a wide base, and an upright pivoty fin with less rake.

F4s are OK, but have too much rake, the WCTs (essentially the futures version of the Kelly Slater fin) are a better template.

Nick

DarksideR    1,679

Nick definitely knows his stuff and is a great guy to deal with. He made my ShredStixx.

Thanks for that info. It was helpful and confusing all at the same time! LOL

• Like 1

DrNate    426

Nick definitely knows his stuff and is a great guy to deal with. He made my ShredStixx.

Thanks for that info. It was helpful and confusing all at the same time! LOL

I agree. I thought a quad was four fins. He first says if you're riding with four fins you don't know what you're doing but then says that a Quad is faster down the line than a twin.

Maybe he meant Twinzer somewhere in there?

I ride one board with Twinzers and another with just a 2 fin setup. Personal preference and each board reacts different with different fin setups as well I have found. One thing is for sure, though. Fins do make a huge difference

• Like 1

BenHolloway    29

Good fin setup on a twin... way less "drivey" than a quad, faster and looser than a "twinzer"... just my thoughts I hated just running twins at first but now its hard to ride anything else, I would like to run some quads from time to time, mainly to try and drive out big airs but otherwise I have no desire to change.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah, I've been riding my ShredStixx as a twin the whole time I've had it. And now I've bought the Soulcraft Emily twin fin. Would have REALLY liked something different, but in reality, the board itself is so different! I really like it.

post-848-0-85514500-1438099901_thumb.jpg