Stretch

What happened to truck prices?

h20king    794

Here is my advice. You are young and your income will grow with age. Buy the biggest truck you can afford now so down the road when you get a bigger boat you will not need a new truck. Saves money in the long run. People will tell you a 1/2 ton will do the job but fact is new boats are heavy and unless you don't tow much they are just not the right tool for the job. We had an 08 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC gasser. sure it would pull the boat but it struggled on grades. Trans would down shift and trans temps would get over 225 degrees. Keep in mind that was towing an 08 Falcon V which is under 21 feet and most newer boats are bigger than that except the 210 enzo

chadr    328

Trucks must be cheaper here. Here is an example http://www.kendallchryslerjeepdodge.com/new/Ram/2015-Ram-2500-6b4ac7b10a0a006462b0ed6efc669072.htm I have not bought from these guys but lots of buddies from work have. There is still meat on the bone at that price and would bet you could walk out the door at 39K or better so for an extra 7k you get a new truck.

They are probably trying to keep in the same ball park as Dave Smith Auto out of Kellogg Idaho. I bought a truck from there and they treated me great! They sell all of their vehicles for somewhere around $200 over invoice. That fund pays for the vehicle to be detailed and the rest is the salesman's commission. I bought a brand new 05 gas Dodge truck there for $26k. They get factory to dealer incentives a few months later at about 10-15% of the cost of the vehicles they sell. The month that I went, the salesman told me they had sold over new 1000 vehicles so that is how they make their money.

Someone in the Auto sales business able to confirm this???

Stretch    409

Here is my advice. You are young and your income will grow with age. Buy the biggest truck you can afford now so down the road when you get a bigger boat you will not need a new truck. Saves money in the long run. People will tell you a 1/2 ton will do the job but fact is new boats are heavy and unless you don't tow much they are just not the right tool for the job. We had an 08 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC gasser. sure it would pull the boat but it struggled on grades. Trans would down shift and trans temps would get over 225 degrees. Keep in mind that was towing an 08 Falcon V which is under 21 feet and most newer boats are bigger than that except the 210 enzo

Yeah I'm starting to see that as a good route. I started out half ton because I thought I would be in a price range where after selling he 4runner I would have as much under the pillow as my loan amount just in case. But if I can get a more reliable (lower mileage) and more future proof vehicle I might move up a little price bracket wise.

As of my current situation the 4Runner does great. 0.8 miles on a dead end road to the ramp and 20 miles to mechanic. However, with Orlando a 99% reality next year now I'll be towing 15 or so miles with a lot more traffic. Plus if I ever move to an Enzo like you said I'll want more mass under me.

• Like 1

Stretch    409

Trucks must be cheaper here. Here is an example http://www.kendallchryslerjeepdodge.com/new/Ram/2015-Ram-2500-6b4ac7b10a0a006462b0ed6efc669072.htm I have not bought from these guys but lots of buddies from work have. There is still meat on the bone at that price and would bet you could walk out the door at 39K or better so for an extra 7k you get a new truck.

They are probably trying to keep in the same ball park as Dave Smith Auto out of Kellogg Idaho. I bought a truck from there and they treated me great! They sell all of their vehicles for somewhere around $200 over invoice. That fund pays for the vehicle to be detailed and the rest is the salesman's commission. I bought a brand new 05 gas Dodge truck there for $26k. They get factory to dealer incentives a few months later at about 10-15% of the cost of the vehicles they sell. The month that I went, the salesman told me they had sold over new 1000 vehicles so that is how they make their money.

Someone in the Auto sales business able to confirm this???

I feel like I have heard that as well. I assumed they get a little more than that but that the basic concept was truthful (low profit high volume)

boatnut    230

It's true,, there are lots of factory to dealer incentives, specially when they meet or exceed their qouta, also delears make alot more money on used vehicle then new as well....

Also the 210 is not as light as you think, l found out about 500 pounds heavier then what is said in the brochure.... Puts it right in the range of 4700 pounds without the trailer

Edited by boatnut

h20king    794

It's true,, there are lots of factory to dealer incentives, specially when they meet or exceed their qouta, also delears make alot more money on used vehicle then new as well.... Also the 210 is not as light as you think, l found out about 500 pounds heavier then what is said in the brochure.... Puts it right in the range of 4700 pounds without the trailer

Yeah I know it is the same size as the Falcon V 20' 8" and about the same weight. That's why I say pass on the half ton. Stretch has an elite any bigger boat and he should have at least a 3/4 ton truck

boatnut    230
It's true,, there are lots of factory to dealer incentives, specially when they meet or exceed their qouta, also delears make alot more money on used vehicle then new as well.... Also the 210 is not as light as you think, l found out about 500 pounds heavier then what is said in the brochure.... Puts it right in the range of 4700 pounds without the trailerYeah I know it is the same size as the Falcon V 20' 8" and about the same weight. That's why I say pass on the half ton. Stretch has an elite any bigger boat and he should have at least a 3/4 ton truck

Trust me, I have a Tahoe and sure it good on the flats, but man does she eat fuel for breakfast, dinner, and lunch... Brutal, but hate putting it behind the dually only because it becomes so long it's hard to park at the local boat launch :(

• Like 2

Sata3000    15

Love the Dodge!!!!

post-5926-0-76464700-1433828246_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sata3000
  • Like 1

Stretch    409

Nice! I have a growing soft spot for light colored RAMs with black rims and big meaty tires (I like small rims big tires not big rims skinny tires).

3981ea1cb91e26a79a607e41a024162c.jpg

Also the claims of 20-21mpg hwy with dpf delete have me super interested, 4Runner gets about 18-19 if you play really nice

Edited by Stretch
  • Like 1

Audionly101    39

Problem with that thinking is diesel trucks hold their Value. It does not cost much more to go new when talking diesel trucks. I agree with autos and gas trucks that is the way to go though

I purchased a GM ceritified duramax 2500 crew cab for 20k less then the best offer I could get on the same trunk only brand new. I purchased a low mile used vehicle with a longer factory warranty then a new truck for a significant amount less. I work at an auto dealership so I know what truly works out best for customers. I would recommend a low mileage cerfitied vehicle to anyone over and over and over. Better warranty, less out of pocket expense and less depreciation.
  • Like 1

Stretch    409

This is not one of those questions supposed to be rude or backhanded in any way actually asking. On recent RAMs have there been trans issues? I've always thought of that as a weak point for them and my uncle has been through 4 in his 5.9. I haven't heard as much about it recently, so was hoping it wasn't an issue now.

viking    491

not sure if it's a widespread issue but best buddie's trans went out in first 1000miles on his 2015 Cummings. Of course replaced under warranty but concerning none-the-less

Stretch    409

I've read that you have to be careful if you run an engine tune to also run a tranny tune. Did your friend have any mods?

Also, which trans? I would probably love a manual but not sure if still offered, not a lot of used ones to be found. I see there are 2 auto options

Edited by Stretch

Nick213    583

This is not one of those questions supposed to be rude or backhanded in any way actually asking. On recent RAMs have there been trans issues? I've always thought of that as a weak point for them and my uncle has been through 4 in his 5.9. I haven't heard as much about it recently, so was hoping it wasn't an issue now.

thats the problem with dodge! Like Chevrolet with electrical issues but ford has about every problem you could imagine :p

Nick213    583

Let me elaborate, my buddy is a hard core dodge fan as I am with Chevy. My buddy has not owned a dodge yet that the transmission hasn't taken a poo on him. I haven't owned a Chevy without electrical problems. My last truck the dash cluster went out, the truck before that the computer went out, the truck before that I replaced bulbs constantly. But I'll take that over his three transmissions in 4 years! And that was just one of his trucks!

Stretch    409

Here we go now we are getting some meat off the bone :2guns:

Seems like every manufacturer has its weak spots (minus ford of course :laughing: )

chenige    84

EVERYBODY has an opinion based on their own experiences. To see the real picture you need a large data set (hey, I am an engineer).

JD power is based on many owners. Take a look at the data if you dare. This is based on 3 years of driving (so 2012 vehicles).

Sorry Dodge and Ford fans.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study

post-5486-0-52263000-1433892619_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Stretch    409

I wish that would show actual models instead of just manufacturer. I was under the impression that RAM becoming its own thing coincided with better reliability in the trucks compared to regular cars. Good info though. I guess I have no experience with a ford truck newer than 2008

Edited by Stretch

chenige    84

I inserted the truck models. Ram came in 3rd for light duty.

Nick213    583

(minus ford of course :laughing: ) Yes because all its points are weak :p

Have you noticed not one person with a ford has posted, just sayin....

Edited by Nick213
  • Like 2