Praesto

Weird sound from engine compartment (video)

duramat    462

Failed Exhaust gasket comes to mind.

What year is your boat? 330?

Edited by duramat

truekaotik    458

By no means a mechanic here but if it were injectors or valve would it go away at higher RPMs? Or is it just masked better?

Depends on what it is. High RPMs mask a lot of things.. Like Dura posted check those as they are easier to asess at this moment..

Edited by truekaotik

Nick213    583

exacty how my boat sounded when I had that problem. Except all my plugs were black. Edited by Nick213

Praesto    25

I definitely think the sound in my very first video is identical to this sound. That being said can anyone else give me their feedback if the sounds match?

My Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNMyQq36TA&app=desktop

I think this could take care of 1 of my two issues. Leaving me with something hopefully low cost to take care of.

If I do replace the gasket does it matter if its the exact same one? The local store has one that fits but looks slightly different. Its made for a very similar engine but I wanted input from the Ccrew.

-Eric

Edited by Praesto

Nick213    583

Praesto, not sure if the gasket was a contributing factor of bad plugs but I changed those out at the same time as the gasket and found one plug was worse then the rest. So you might want to check those as well. And if get a exact match to the gasket minuse the leak lol

duramat    462

The exhaust was horrid when sitting on the back seat. Can you notice it when the engine cover is lifted? Best way to describe the sound is as a "ticking" sound?

There was a recall on the 330's for bad gaskets installed in 06/07? Mine was one affected.

Dealer did ONE...but billed for 2! Then the second one went out and I was stuck with the bill. They even told me they could tell it was the original gasket. Anyways...a little background on that clip.

Hopefully that helps

Edited by duramat

Praesto    25

Looks like the block is cracked and water is getting into a cylinder.

Long story short I need a new engine (block) this is going to be a SUPER expensive repair.

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on talking with the dealer about using a jasper engine? Jasper quoted me at $3051.22 for a replacement for a 5.7 mercruiser mag 350. Anyone not familiar with jasper, they are remanufactured engines that go through a pretty full length process and come with a warranty.

Would it be worth speaking with the dealer about putting in a Jasper to potentially save thousands of dollars?

Warranty information here:

http://qms.jasperengines.com/warranty.asp

About Jasper

http://www.jasperengines.com/about-remanufactured-engines.php

Praesto    25

Why is he first one you posted cheaper with more power? I would prefer to go with the same or more power. Also I am assuming the dealer would use any good parts left from my engine (intake etc)

Would most dealers work with me on using one of these instead of the direct from mercruiser option?

The ability to save $2500-$4000 is very appealing. What is the downside?

First one was a reman. Second is brand new. Both are long blocks and require removing and reusing all of your bolt ons. I made a mistake wintering my old boat 7 years ago. Replaced long block with a reman from Michigan motorz. Sold it to a friend 4 years ago when I bought my centurion. He still has it and it runs great. Not sure on the dealer as I installed myself.

Praesto    25

Yes - Sorry for the long wait.

The boat has been with the dealer for a month as of today. I am getting a bit impatient as he is saying the reman engine has not come in yet, even though it was ordered just over two weeks ago. We called Jasper after we were told it needed a new engine and was told they could have it to us in 3 days and for a cheaper price (Jasper is of course well known and has quality products)

Long story short I am going to call tomorrow and if the new engine is not in, I am going to ask him if it has been ordered or shipped. If not I am going tell him to cancel that order and go with a Jasper. I was originally quoted at two weeks of repair time and a week for the engine to arrive. I was told it was a rough estimate but this is super rough if it goes to twice the estimated repair time. After my call tomorrow I will update the crew.

DarksideR    1,679

MAN! That's a crappy deal Praesto. Hope you get her back on the water soon!

duramat    462

X2!

Sending Good vibes your way :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praesto    25

X2! Sending Good vibes your way :thumbsup: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The repair shop did not like me putting pressure on them. They offered to bill me for what has been completed and to pick the boat up. Sadly I live in DC, the boat is housed in south eastern Virginia (Virginia Beach) and the repair shop is a total of a 6 hour drive from me.

Looks like my season is over for this year. I asked for an updated time table, and am expecting to be a month or more out, given they are still working on watercraft that has come in before mine and the engine has not arrived yet.

The thing that bothers me most is the horribly rough estimate I first received. I understand it is peak season and I don't mind the repair time, but would have been better to estimate a month up front. Under Promise and Over Deliver not the other way around.

Hopefully the repair shop works with me to complete the job, if not I will be picking it up and only expecting to pay the diagnosis fee as I will not pay for the engine that is not there yet (and more expensive than one I can get from Jasper with twice the warranty....)

Anyways I will keep everyone up to date. I generally have a very good experience with this repair shop so I still have high hopes.

Praesto    25

Question for my Crew members.

With all the issues I am currently facing, part of me wonders if I would be better off selling the watercraft. I recieved a message from the dealer stating it is taking "much longer" than expected and that more parts will be replaced than the original SOW identified. This to me means he will charge me higher than what the original quote was for and I am not sure how long I can financially support the boat.

I may be getting a bit too paranoid but this did happen on a boat with sub 300 hours that was winterized yearly by a dealership. The new engine only has a one year warranty and I assume the labor comes with just a one year warranty too. Along with standard yearly maintenence and other stuff I am beginning to think it may be time to let someone else enjoy (or deal with) the watercraft.

Anyways enough of my paranoid based rambling... I was wondering what kind of questions I could/should ask when picking the boat up after such a sizeable project?

1. I want to ask for all paperwork regarding the remanned engine as well as the warranty.
  2. Also want to ask for all paperwork regarding the parts that were purchased and warranties on each of those.
  3. Want to ask for a copy of the dealerships labor warranty incase something happens next summer (With a 1 year warranty this thing should be covered for almost the entire next season)

Also a question for my crew, what standards does a dealer have to operate within? I just want to make sure the engine going in is built for the water and/or matches the original engine. I want to make sure if I do decide to keep the watercraft greater than one year, that I won't be facing these issues again in five years.

How often should the boat require $7000-$10000 engine repair? If this happens every 5-7 years or every 250 hours, I will sell the boat at the end of next season as I cannot afford it.

Edited by Praesto

Skibumm    184

Wow that sucks. Do you know why the block cracked to begin with? If it was winterized properly there should be no reason for it. As far as new power every 250 hours, no way is that going to happen (if properly taken care of) 2600 hours here and no re-power yet (knock on wood).

Praesto    25

I showed it to my dad who races and has built >20 cars in his lifetime, he thinks it is a manufacturers defect during the casting process. I will get the pictures uploaded here. I have had my watercraft winterized at a dealership every year. No dealership would admit to messing up the winterization process though.

Edit: Dealer says he does not know but thinks salt water corrosion. Only ever took the boat in a fresh water lake and the intercoastal waterway in south east VA (Classified as Fresh)

Edited by Praesto