Sign in to follow this  
WakeDoc

HOW TO: Fix Stripped holes on Standard Glove Box Lid

WakeDoc    471

Like some of you I have gone through several standard glove box lids. Below is my final fix that cost less than $10.00 and a little time.

What you need to get started:

• .375 Drill Bit
  • .250 Drill Bit
  • (4) 1/4-20 x 12 mm Coarse Connecting Cap Nuts
  • (4) 1/4-20 x 3/4 long Oval Head Machine Screws
  • (4) #14 Finishing Washers

1429127771-U66.jpg

Using the .250 Drill Bit, drill the existing hinge mounting holes in the bottom of the glove box through to the top, being careful not to harm the finish on the top. With the .375 Drill Bit from the bottom of the glove box lid drill the existing holes out just deep enough to accept the Connecting Cap Nuts.

Still using the .375 Drill Bit, drill out the glove box lid side mounting holes on the hinge, a Connecting Cap Nut should be able to fit through each hole. Be sure you are drilling the correct side of the hinge since you only get once chance.

1429127917-U66.jpg

Place a Finishing Washers on each Oval Head Machine Screw and insert through the glove box lid.

1429128155-U66.jpg

Turn glove box lid over, lay hinge in place and thread a Connecting Cap Nut onto each screw.

1429128243-U66.jpg

NOTE: During the install of the glove box lid on the 2010 SV240 this was being modified for, it was found the hinge needed to be removed from the glove box lid. Hinge installed in boat/glove box cavity, lid re-installed and shock connected.

Glove box lid installed and open.

1429128453-U66.jpg

Glove box lid closed.

1429128498-U66.jpg

Post if you have any questions?

• Like 2

h20king    794

Awesome Fix. I Bet if You painted the screws and washers flat black before install that they would blend in. Looks good with the stainless as well though.

h20king    794

Also for you guys that will be doing this pay attention to the pic of the materials Doc used. He did it right and went with stainless and brass hardware.

RhuntIII    555

very nice Doc.

viking    491

Nice work! I personally don't mine the SS look.

Bongo Fury    640

I may be the worst DIY member on the site but I really love these write up's. Gives me the courage to try things I otherwise would never dream of......Thanks for the write up Doc!