Shaka

Lake Powell Mussel Inspections Ramping up

Shaka    146

Just heard from a buddy. He said that after trailering boats were being stopped at a checkpoint after you leave the park. There they will search your whole boat and attempt to drain any water left. For each cup of water they collect the fine is $250.

Anyone else heard or seen anything about this?

surf moocher    127

I just left on Monday around 3 PM from Wahweap, and didn't run into this, but they did warn me as I entered into the park that I needed to pull plugs or AZ law would fine you. I didn't hot wash boat / ballast but did pull my plug, I'm winterizing this week. Season's over :(

Bigcatpt    408

Seems like a weird time of year to do this if it is really happening. What do they hope to prevent? I mean the traffic flow at the lake right now is 10% of what it would be in June, July, and Aug.

Bigcatpt    408

And if you are taking the boat home to "clean, drain, and dry" for 30 days it would be considered fine to launch after that. Something seems fishy here.

Shaka    146

I also thought it was a bit fishy. Is it possible they were using the slow season to try out something that may be implemented next spring?

Bongo Fury    640

Don't know a thing about Lake Powel but the mussel problem is no joke and can distroy a lake. Our lake has been very vigalent on this with inspections required prior to launching for visiting boats and fines if you put in without.

duramat    462

I have heard some states issuing citations/fines for not pulling the plug when on the road. It's there way of trying to control the spread.

All it takes is water in the bilge from an infected lake to be pumped out by the bilge into a clean lake and then you just passed the problem along

surf moocher    127

Don't know a thing about Lake Powel but the mussel problem is no joke and can distroy a lake. Our lake has been very vigalent on this with inspections required prior to launching for visiting boats and fines if you put in without.

No doubt, I'm all for the enforcement. In my experience the boaters have been more vigilant than the staff doing the hot clean out. I guess it makes sense to try and attack this issue going in and out of the lakes. However, if you are putting the boat away for the season, or if you just have enough days between trips to the lake to ensure all the mussels are dead, I don't think anything needs to be done or enforced while driving out on the highway.

surf moocher    127

I have heard some states issuing citations/fines for not pulling the plug when on the road. It's there way of trying to control the spread.

All it takes is water in the bilge from an infected lake to be pumped out by the bilge into a clean lake and then you just passed the problem along

Right AZ and I think WY out our way.

Bongo Fury    640

No doubt, I'm all for the enforcement. In my experience the boaters have been more vigilant than the staff doing the hot clean out. I guess it makes sense to try and attack this issue going in and out of the lakes. However, if you are putting the boat away for the season, or if you just have enough days between trips to the lake to ensure all the mussels are dead, I don't think anything needs to be done or enforced while driving out on the highway.

Agree with that 100%!