Dreamer

Quick Fill Valve Maintenance

Dreamer    96

I'm in the process of pulling my QF valves out for some end of the season maintenance. Once I have removed the four bolts I can rotate the valve unit but it does not want to pull out. Am I missing something here?

N8 Froelich    12

I did mine recently, you have to loosen the big rubber fill hose too. I did the one on the transom side of the valve. It slid back pretty easy then the valve came right out. It has a shoulder that you can't see which you have to make clearance for.

Hope this helps.

shawndoggy    49

Can you snap a pic? I've done this several times on an MB but not a centurion.... If I can see what yours looks like I can probably come up with a game plan...

Dreamer    96

Thanks N8. I loosened the hose clamp and pulled it apart. The valves cam out with ease. I'm just waiting on a maintenance kit from Drainmaster now.

DrNate    426

Thanks for this thread. I'm gonna be doing mine soon as well. Never did it myself before, but it sounds easy enough. If I can just get myself in those rear compartments :)

Dreamer    96

I was a bit nervous about removing them but now that I've done it once I would not hesitate again. Order some new seals and cleaning solution from Drainmaster and also have a bottle of silicone spray before you start.

WakeDoc    471

Put together a how to when you rebuild and put it back together Dreamer?

DrNate    426

Put together a how to when you rebuild and put it back together Dreamer?

X2! I would love to see this dreamer. Also, what size heads on the nuts to remove?

Nevermind, looked it up on Drainmaster. The bolt heads are 7/16". Here's the link to instructions, fairly self explanatory I guess

http://drainmaster.com/site/marine/sites/drainmaster.com.site.marine/files/documents/MDM80-1%20MarineCleaningMaintProDM.pdf

Edited by DrNate

Dreamer    96

OK folks, here is my "how to" on servicing your quick valves. I ordered two seal packages and a valve maintenance kit (bottle of Sensor Power) from Drainmaster. It was only $31 for everything. I also picked up some silicone spray from a local automotive shop. You need some wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchet set and a little patience. Getting the valves out and serviced was easy, getting things back together was a little more trying. If you can't squeeze into your locker for half an hour pay someone to do this. :cry:

Pull out your fatsac and climb in there and unscrew the triangle section at the back:

post-821-0-38794800-1411351015_thumb.jpg

Dreamer    96

Loosen the clamp on the tube to the opening in the transom so you can pull apart to create space to pull the valve up. As N8 stated above there is a shoulder on the valves so you need to separate to create space. The seals may stay on the tubes or come out with the valve. Either way, the instructions say to throw them away and replace with the new ones.

post-821-0-94484000-1411351498_thumb.jpg

post-821-0-25273100-1411351514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dreamer

Dreamer    96

Basically follow the inspections that come with the new parts. Soak the valves in a pail with the solution (don't get the wires wet) for 2 - 24 hours. Dry them out and cycle open and close a few times. Stick the silicone spray straw up into the valve and lubricate. I cycled them open and close a few times manually and then a couple more times plugged in but not installed. Mine worked perfectly so no complaints yet. Grease the new seals and stick them back in and put it all back together. I'd say an hour out and two hours back in. I read somewhere to leave them open when in storage for the winter.

post-821-0-51106900-1411351968_thumb.jpg

post-821-0-29740000-1411351979_thumb.jpg

post-821-0-10728100-1411351989_thumb.jpg

DrNate    426

GREAT write-up dreamer! I think even I could handle this job myself. One question, though: If you buy a new valve does it come with new seals and everything? One of mine is faulty and need to replace (for the 4th time I might add).

Thanks again

Dreamer    96

DrNate, I'm not sure if seals come with the valves. You will have to ask Drainmaster when you order.

RVR-RAT    269

Thanks for the write up Dreamer. Nicely done. So far no issues with my gates knock on wood !

Bongo Fury    640

Great write up and photos Dreamer. We lubricate ours but this replacement has never been done. What is the recommended interval for this type of service?

Edited by Bongo Fury

RhuntIII    555

Nicely done Dreamer.

Dreamer    96

I'm not sure what the intervals are but my boat was in the water all summer so I thought it would become part of my winterizing routine.

Dreamer    96

He boys, all this maintenance work for nothing. Launched the boat today for our first ride of the year and the valves were seized open. Tried to cycle them with the allen key but wouldn't budge. Now I'm back home soaking the valves in the soapy solution.?