Tommywalton1974

Guys with IAC issues tell me what you think

RhuntIII    555

iac.jpg

Merc.350 MPI
The IAC (16,15, and 14) is mounted on bracket 12. My IAC is removed at the moment but you can see in the photos where it should be located.

post-3359-0-00388400-1412097374_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-06626800-1412097386_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-67750600-1412097401_thumb.jpg

chadr    328

iac.jpg

Merc.350 MPI

The IAC (16,15, and 14) is mounted on bracket 12. My IAC is removed at the moment but you can see in the photos where it should be located.

Where did you find the blow up diagram like this? I need one for the 6.2 L Black Scorpion. Way to go RhuntIII!

Edited by chadr

RhuntIII    555

The pictures are a little out of order, so here goes.

I painted the new IAC and is installed. you cans see these in images 1818, 1819, 1822, 1823 and 1824.

Back to the boat not idling. My Hypothesis: I had some spacer issues and shredded two belts this season. When the belts shredded it created a rubber type dust, seen in picture 1829. I'm assuming that this dust entered the AIC muffler and clogged it up as well, seen in picture 1821. Either with old age or rubber dust or both, this caused the old AIC to close and stick shut. I'm expecting a new muffler in any day. I hoping by replacing these issues I'll be back on the water soon.

post-3359-0-70292900-1412173707_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-54126300-1412173719_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-24951100-1412173735_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-50561300-1412173760_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-58698900-1412173782_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-16422700-1412173798_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-10928100-1412173813_thumb.jpg

Bigcatpt    408

Can someone post a pic of where this IAC muffler is located on the MAG MPI motor ?

the IAC muffler/filter goes inside the manifold. In this picture right at the 6 O'clock position in that little square box. Hopefully you can see the red writing on the picture with the arrow.

post-188-0-60044100-1412178977_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bigcatpt    408

The pictures are a little out of order, so here goes.

I painted the new IAC and is installed. you cans see these in images 1818, 1819, 1822, 1823 and 1824.

Back to the boat not idling. My Hypothesis: I had some spacer issues and shredded two belts this season. When the belts shredded it created a rubber type dust, seen in picture 1829. I'm assuming that this dust entered the AIC muffler and clogged it up as well, seen in picture 1821. Either with old age or rubber dust or both, this caused the old AIC to close and stick shut. I'm expecting a new muffler in any day. I hoping by replacing these issues I'll be back on the water soon.

Rhunt looking good. Your flame arrester is FILTHY!!!! I am surprised any air was getting through at all! Replacing the flame arrester, IAC valve, and IAC muffler is gonna make your boat feel like it just got a new set of lungs! Hopefully that fixes your issue.

RhuntIII    555

Rhunt looking good. Your flame arrester is FILTHY!!!! I am surprised any air was getting through at all! Replacing the flame arrester, IAC valve, and IAC muffler is gonna make your boat feel like it just got a new set of lungs! Hopefully that fixes your issue.

Just when you think taking your boat to have the yearly service done is a good idea, I find this. I'm glad I've taken these steps on my own. I could have not done it with out the help of the crew. Thanks to everyone involved with DIYs and cold beer! :cheers:

RhuntIII    555

In your favorite pirate voice read, "Arr! She's a breathing!"

I installed the water pump, flam arrestor, distributor, rotor cap and the 2 new fuel filters. I then was able to turn over the engine and let her idle for a couple of seconds. I will post up more pics when I have time. She sound so good being able to breath.

RhuntIII    555

No more beep, beep. I ran the boat at idle speed and herd no beep. I am missing the the IAC muffler and can hear a loud sucking sound. I'm thinking this is going to solve the double beep and my wife yelling at me.

post-3359-0-85043100-1412476567_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-66120100-1412476579_thumb.jpg

Bigcatpt    408

It's easier to take the plenum off. Once it's off, it's right there in front of you.

Trying to find the IAC muffler/filter on Surfmoochers Enzo 240 with the BS 6.2 motor.

If you take the Plenum off do you have to replace the gasket under it? Or is it easy to put back on?

Jlreevesiv    14

just did the IAC replacement on my 6.2 BS, including IAC muffler.

used on these motors match 2002-2003 Ford Windstar (weird I know)

no problem with reusing the upper intake plenum gasket.

Also the material used on the 'muffler' is identical to 'breather element' that once was used on carbed engines. Bought it from local auto parts in a larger square and cut it to fit.

based on the amount used, 1 breather element should last the life of the boat.

and yes the boat runs and idles better than ever.

surf moocher    127

just did the IAC replacement on my 6.2 BS, including IAC muffler.

used on these motors match 2002-2003 Ford Windstar (weird I know)

no problem with reusing the upper intake plenum gasket.

Also the material used on the 'muffler' is identical to 'breather element' that once was used on carbed engines. Bought it from local auto parts in a larger square and cut it to fit.

based on the amount used, 1 breather element should last the life of the boat.

and yes the boat runs and idles better than ever.

To remove the Plenum, after you remove the top 6 screws, where are the other bolts or screws you need to remove. It still feels very solid after removing the 6 screws on top.

Jlreevesiv    14

sorry about the delay, its winter what can i say........ yes there are 2 additional bolts under the plenum. best way to see them is climb onto the motor (chest on plenum) look under there

and you'll find 2 bolts that hold the front (or rear?) of the plenum on. does require some contortion on your behalf and I wouldn't try it without a magnet on a stick. (you know the ones

that help you pick up bolts you drop in hard to reach places). these 2 mystery bolts are under the plenum closest to your transom (v-drive) I know you've for sure figured this out but there

might be someone along the way who'll find it useful.

• Like 1

surf moocher    127

sorry about the delay, its winter what can i say........ yes there are 2 additional bolts under the plenum. best way to see them is climb onto the motor (chest on plenum) look under there

and you'll find 2 bolts that hold the front (or rear?) of the plenum on. does require some contortion on your behalf and I wouldn't try it without a magnet on a stick. (you know the ones

that help you pick up bolts you drop in hard to reach places). these 2 mystery bolts are under the plenum closest to your transom (v-drive) I know you've for sure figured this out but there

might be someone along the way who'll find it useful.

Thanks for the note, I've been watching this thread waiting for the response all winter...just kidding :p

Actually, I think the two bolts were under the back side of the plenum (back / stern / aft of the boat) if I remember right, opposite from the v-drive.

Jlreevesiv    14

Yes of course the bolts are under the intake plenum, in the most rearward position (assuming transom is rearward) forget that crap I put in about v-drive. You remember correctly.

just wanted to confuse the heck out of everyone. (no I just goofed, I responded too late to help you, and too late to make any sense. It was Way past my bedtime)

• Like 1