jiriki    13

Borrowing a dial indicator tomorrow at lunch from a friend.

BCS Boats is near me. I'll call them in the morning as well to get a quote if the shaft needs to be fixed/replaced.

What is that eye made from on that actuator?

jiriki    13

Borrowing a dial indicator tomorrow at lunch from a friend.

BCS Boats is near me. I'll call them in the morning as well to get a quote if the shaft needs to be fixed/replaced.

Plastic. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix it but it wouldn't look pretty at all and probably not going to be as strong.

jiriki    13

First time for everything. This is literally the first time I've used a dial indicator. Looking at Nettle's website. They have a tolerance of +-0.002 inches. I get right at 0.002 when the key slot comes around.

Oh, touching the trailer just slightly affects it. Based on this, I think the shaft is in range. Do you guys think otherwise? I think I did 1.5 rotations around and took very small increments.

Only variable would be the trailer. Too bad you couldn't clamp it to that strut. But it seems really stable. I would call that good man

jiriki    13

Only variable would be the trailer. Too bad you couldn't clamp it to that strut. But it seems really stable. I would call that good man

It was a bit awkward to clamp it to the strut. It's too tight in there. I made sure I didn't touch the trailer while taking the readings.

Edited by jiriki

Troy    234

To me it looks fine! It would of found a suction cup and attached it to the bottom of the boat. Good job though!

jiriki    13

I'll install the new prop tonight. Anyone using any particular marine grease to do the install?

jiriki    13

Called the company that makes the Lenco actuator. They want $192 for the whole actuator. They won't sell me just the cap. Kind of crappy.

I'll figure out a way to fix this one. It'll just look ugly.

Bigcatpt    408

Called the company that makes the Lenco actuator. They want $192 for the whole actuator. They won't sell me just the cap. Kind of crappy.

I'll figure out a way to fix this one. It'll just look ugly.

Surfmoocher fixed a couple of his long enough to get an extra season out of them. Holler at him.

surf moocher    127

Surfmoocher fixed a couple of his long enough to get an extra season out of them. Holler at him.

Ya, I bent my prop (at Lake Powell on a rock), bent my switchblade, damaged both actuators (cracked eyelet, eventually both looked just like yours) but the prop shaft was actually fine, very lucky!

The fix was ugly on the actuator, I got about a half of a season out of it, ultimately I just had to buy two new actuators. The fix consisted of:

- drilled out the eyelet hole to be bigger

- glued in a nylon washer inside the eyelet

- trimmed and sanded the outside of the eyelet

- Took a flat plastic strap and wrapped it on the outside of the eyelet, glued it, and added a few stainless screws to hold the strap in place.

I used to have a picture of it, might have even sent it to bigcat, but I can't find it.

Edited by surf moocher

jiriki    13

I had very similar ideas. I'm thinking of embedding large plastic washers in resin and fiberglass and wrapping it around the damaged eyelet. Once it's hardened, drill it out.

I tried out the new prop today. It seems to work really well. It feels a bit smoother than the previous prop. Top speed is about the same but RPMs are a bit higher. I have a feeling MPG might take a small hit.

bcollins    18

So shaft, etc. was good then...nice. After seeing pics of the prop I think we were all a little concerned.

Edited by bcollins