Sign in to follow this  
bcollins

I'm an idiot....hooked up battery backwards

bcollins    18

So for some reason I brain farted and hooked up the battery backwards, i.e. negative to positive and positive to negative. Nice spark when I attached the negative after the positive. Figured it out, switched it back to how it should be and boat is "DEAD". Hooked up charger to battery and it seems fine, i.e. it's charging. Am I screwed? I'm terrible with electrical so I'm hoping I just blew a fuse or something but I literally have power to nothing. I pressed the button to reset the breaker, whatever the red button is on the top of the engine close to distributor cap, and it didn't so anything. Please help. Boat is a 2002 Cyclone, Merc 350 MAG. Thanks.

h20king    794

Their is a fuse at the starter that needs replaced about $25 that is if you have a mercruiser

crew chief    4

My Son Did This Also. But He Also Had A Smoke Show. I Had To Replace The Wire Harness From The Engine To The dash. But I Did Use The Boat Before I Change The Harness.

crew chief    4

l Don't Remember blowning A Fuse Or Tripping A Breaker. I Checked All My Neg. Wires Because He Had The Battery Pos. Hooked To It . A direct short. I Had Fould My Larger Neg. Wire In The Harness Melted.

bcollins    18

Hey H, are you talking about the 90 Amp fuse? Yes, it's a Mercruiser. If so, you are my hero sir. I actually found a thread where some other knuckle head did the same thing and turned out to be the same fuse you mentioned. I appreciate it very much. I'll let you guys know if it worked.

Kevin Baugh    78

Check all electronics Stereo, amp depth finder etc they don't take kindly to reverse polarity

D3 Boats    19

Check all electronics Stereo, amp depth finder etc they don't take kindly to reverse polarity

X2

bcollins    18

Will do guys, grabbed the fuse on the way to work and we'll install when I get home. Battery seems to be charging fine so I think it's okay at the very least. I had no idea this would cause so many problems. Well, won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, thanks again....if it wasn't for this forum/internet I would be paying someone a ton of money right now to diagnose/fix.

RhuntIII    555

Good luck b, hope it works out.

bcollins    18

Thanks Rhunt,

Chief, I just went full retard. It's like I looked right at it to make sure it was the correct post for each and then did the opposite. Don't even know what to say. Won't make that mistake again.

Update: Installed the fuse, hooked up the battery...the correct way this time, and got full power to everything. Turned the key, all good. Hooked up the hose and it ran great. So the fuse did it's job and I learned a lesson. All components, gauges, amps, etc. seem to work fine. Taking it to the lake, err....reservoir tomorrow to test and get the season started. Funny thing is it's pretty mild here in San Diego but it was 90+ just last weekend.

Thanks again H for your infinite wisdom.