volzalum    280

Did anyone ever fab up one of these and test it out? I've got material in hand to try. My plan is to make an aluminum tab that extends 12 inches out and follows the contour of the transom like the Centurion option.

I'm going to mount it to two angle brackets that will fit on each side of my Bennett trim tab so that I'm only drilling into the sides and not the bottom of the Bennett.

Since I'm using Aluminum I will use spacers between the Bennett stainless and the Aluminum to make sure there isn't any reaction.

Should have it on and tested by the end of March. It'll also extend down a little lower since it is 12 inches vs, the stock 9 inches. It appears it will overhang the bottom of the boat about 1/8th of an inch with spacing from the Bennett, but shouldn't cause any problems since there are several plates/grates on the running surface that almost extend that much.

DrNate    426

I haven't seen anything on this, but I have to say that I am looking forward to your results. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Yes we are. Pics please.

volzalum    280

Of course, you know I'll take pics and post the results of any impact to the wave(s).

volzalum    280

Well I have decided to go with stainless instead of aluminum to make sure I don't have and bad galvanic reactions. The Bennet tabs are 14 gauge 304, but hey have the turned up edges as stiffners, so I'm going with 12 gauge since I will not have any stiffners except the wing tips themselves. I'm still using L brackets to mount to the side tabs so going with stainless there too.

I ordered a 12 inch x 24 inch 12 gauge plate and 24 inches of 1/8 inch L bracket. Shipped cost was $106.40 from http://www.speedymetals.com/

I will use my 1/8 inch aluminum plate that I already had to work on my new 420 mount with additional switch mounts. I need 1 more switch location, so will actually make it so I can move the existing mount switch plus the new one, plus 1 spare so I have a spot for LED switche when/if I incorporate them into my speakers/cupholders/vents.

volzalum    280

Well the stainless plate showed up today, and wow, the 12 gauge is heavy. The 1' x 2' plate is over 8 pounds. It seems to be plenty stiff. I will be bending it next weekend when I'm at my parents to use the metal brake.

Edited by volzalum

dezul    10

Volz, what are you hoping to gain from the winged trim plate? The reason I am asking is cause I might be interested in something similar if it could possibly help my wakeboard wake be a little more clean. Currently the trim plate helps clean up the port side wake for wakeboarding, but it makes starboard side wash.

volzalum    280

I'm more interested in the surfwave than the wakeboard wave for most. It should give me a little more adjustment than the standard plate, and will definitely generate more drag. The physics say it will bring the nose down slightly more for the same amount of ballast. It should clean up my goofy surf wave with less bow weight which should give me a lightly bigger wave. My wakeboard wake has been pretty clean across the board, so not sure about any effect on it. If it brings the nose down without raising the transom up, then it should help keep the wakeboard wake clean at a larger speed range.

volzalum    280

DeZul,

You may want to consider the fin mod that several people were doing by adding a fin to the starboard side of the wakeplate. That fin redirects some of the prop wash back into the center of the wake and cleans up the starboard side some. I have thought about modding the winged plate I am making to include a fin too, but first going to experiment with just the winged plate. The winged plate is a factory option now on the boats, so at I what I'm making to start.

Edited by volzalum

RhuntIII    555

Volz, Good call on changing to the stainless plate.

dezul    10

DeZul,

You may want to consider the fin mod that several people were doing by adding a fin to the starboard side of the wakeplate. That fin redirects some of the prop wash back into the center of the wake and cleans up the starboard side some. I have thought about modding the winged plate I am making to include a fin too, but first going to experiment with just the winged plate. The winged plate is a factory option now on the boats, so at I what I'm making to start.

I did a search on here for adding the fin and didn't come up with anything. Do you remember which thread it was in? I definitely want to look into it.

boardjnky4    8

Have you tried it yet? I want to clean up both wakes at the same time while wakeboarding.

I'm with you. I've not tried this at all, but my interest in it is renewing.

Someone in another thread claims to have tried one on both sides and had cavitation issues. I'm not calling that person a liar, but I am skeptical that this would cause cavitation.

I do want to try it.

CeeDee    16

I put one on the port side of my trim tab and it did take some of the wash off the top of the wave.

volzalum    280

Volz, Good call on changing to the stainless plate.

Yes, I figured for the minimal price difference it was worth it. For others considering it, the 14 gauge is probably sufficient. I went with 12 gauge because I wasn't sure, but by hand, I cannot start to bend the 12 gauge. I really think the 14, which is the factory plate gauge, would be able to support the loads even without a stiffner like the factory plate has.

Edited by volzalum

volzalum    280

How do you plan on bending it? Do you have a brake?

yes, using a brake. I posted that up above when I said the stainless showed up.

nailem    29

What is the L bracket for. I plan on starting on one in a month or so, still have over a foot of snow one the ground here.