lamb80782

HELP ME Remove Drivers Seat from 97 Ski Centurion

lamb80782    1

Thanks in advance for reading this.

I have a 97 ski centurion that I am reupholstering and I need to remove the drivers seat. It sits on a black platform just barely inches off the ground. There is a slider bar that lets you slide the seat forward and backwards while you are sitting in it. No matter where the seat is slid it is impossible to access some of the screws that bolt the platform to the boat deck.

I have no clue how to remove this seat! It is driving me crazy! There must be an easy way to get this seat to slide off from the platform. It would be impossible for the factory guys to install these seats otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is helpful.

• Like 1

Can you remove the seat cushion and get to some nuts holding the seat to the slider? I would think that there would have to be some studs coming up into the seat from the slider.

lamb80782    1

No, when I remove the seat cushion I don't see any bolts at all and can't access anything. I thought the same thing, that there might be 2 or 4 bolts, but nope, nothing. I'll try and get some pictures up this weekend.

Then the only other option I could think of is bolts up thru the slide into the seat base. Wow, pictures would help for sure.

Kevin Baugh    78

For some reason I seem to remember some of those slides sliding off the front ??

lamb80782    1

Ok, here are a bunch of pics I took today. I tried based on someones suggestion to try and find a way to get the seat to slide off the front, I couldn't find a way to do it. There was enough space for it to maybe go that way though. To slide off the other way, backwards towards the engine, would never work.

When the seat is slid all the way forward or back there is never enough clearance to get the screws out that mount the base to the floor. All of the base mount screws are screwed in straightn not at an angle so for sure the base was installed before the seat.

HELP!!!!!!

post-4877-0-52067800-1361067444_thumb.jpg

post-4877-0-62481300-1361067840_thumb.jpg

post-4877-0-28998600-1361068560_thumb.jpg

post-4877-0-97729300-1361068724_thumb.jpg

post-4877-0-09091300-1361068877_thumb.jpg

post-4877-0-03875000-1361068998_thumb.jpg

crew chief    4

Ok look at your track, picture 4 and 6 do you see that nut that's in the center of the track. Slide the seat all the way forward and backwards to expose them so you have access to them.

RhuntIII    555

I have never taken a seat off like this so I'm throwing this out there.

First, Try to use a mini racketing screwdriver to remove the black base from the boat.

Maybe something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Patented-Naro-Close-Quarters-Screwbit-Ratchet/dp/B004UILXDQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361105156&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+ratcheting+screwdriver

Then, From inside the base you can remove the tracks.

lamb80782    1

Fresh fish, That pic was taken when the seat was when the seat was slid all the way. The bolt never gets exposed any more when the seat slides. I can't fit a wrench it to get to the bottom bolt. If I just turn the jam nut it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. I agree though that it seems that the bolts could play a role somehow though.

Rhuntlll, When the seat is all the way forward there is less than one inch between the screw into the floor and the seat. This is the only chance to get to the screws behind the seat. I have a tool similar to the one you show, when the tool is on the screw it barely fits. Then when I start to unscrew the tool gets wedged against the seat as the screw rises and I can't get the screw out. To get the tool back at that point I need to re-tighten the screw. (Take a look at picture 3 and you can see the minimal clearance)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... there has to be a way to do this

Nick213    583

You can't take the base off looks like some Alan bolts holding it on

RhuntIII    555

So is picture 3 the back and picture 4 the front? Take more pictures of the chair all the way forward.

lamb80782    1

Will do, I'll try to get some more pics up again this weekend. Still no success. Ultimately I am trying to get this seat off so I can reupholster it. Stay tuned until tomorrow or sunday for more pics...

RVR-RAT    269

Almost to this point yet!!!

post-1061-0-84131100-1361744076_thumb.jpg

Edited by RVR-RAT

Nick213    583

Why can't the platform be unscrewed and take it all out exactly

Nick213    583

If you can't get a screw driver to those take vice grip pliers around the head of the screws and turn them out its time consuming but you'll get them out

Skibumm    184

I have a 94 and my Brother has a 96 and my seat base looks exactly like yours. I think you are not able to slide the seat enough front and back for some reason. To get ousr out you slide it forward and take the back ones out and then slide it back to take the front ones out. When I look at your pics if that seat is all the back or forward then something is wrong because I have about 2 inches of the top railing out past the bottom railing in both front and back when they are all the way in either direction. From the looks of things you might not have used it for a while and it is jammed up. Sit in it and use some force to see if you can't get it to move farther. Just my two cents.

Kevin Baugh    78

That would make sense I have seen some of the seats warp over years and that keeps them from sliding all the way forward

lamb80782    1

Hmmm... OK I'll try to get it to go further forward, that would sure explain a lot. I took some better pictures and then my girlfriend deleted them on me, I haven't gotten back to taking more yet. I will try to get the seat to go farther forward first and will let you all know. Thanks again...!