Sign in to follow this  

Looking at getting an on shore charger, but am unsure on which one to get in regards to the number of amps I need.

I have 2 dual purpose group 27's. 6, 12, or 20 amps. I know that bigger is not always better.

DavidEM    1

If you have two group 27s total then you might have a 150 to 160 collective amp/hour capacity. A 12 amp (6+6) is a little small if you deep cycle. Fine if you do not ever discharge to 12.0 volts or below. For the occasional deep cycle usage, a 20 amp (10+10) dual-bank multi-stage charger is ideal. You will not risk over or under-charging at that level.

David

RhuntIII    555

I use a trickle charger with a 12v limit switch. The person that I bought the boat from bought it at west marine. It always gets plugged in when the boat is in storage and I've ever had any problems with the battery on start up. The same goes for my duck boat but the trickle charger I bought from a local auto parts store.

Daylorb    3

I use a Pro Mariner - they have 8, 12, 20 amp versions. I use it only as a trickle, rarely deep cycle, seems to maintain very well - never had a battery issue, although I do replace every third season including just recently to dual 29's.

doug743    53

i have an xantrex truecharger 2, its only a 10amp, but i have it charging 4 group 24's and seems to work well. i plug it in for a few days before we go and it is always fully charged. i have yet to run the batteries down past 12.7 v i put digital volt meters next to my battery case so i can see the load. I have 4 amps, 6 inboats, 1 sub and 4 rev10s and we ran it for 3 days over memorial weekend and it never missed a beat. this is a good chance to see what people know about this charger as i have never had an onboard charger before. any info would be great. They seem to get great reveiws

Troy    234

For a trickle charger - Battery Tender.

smitty    0

We use the promarine prosport 12 dual bank for 2 group 31's and a house group 24. Might not be optimum but it works good for us. The boat is always plugged in at home so it's ready to go, if were lucky and they have power at the site we run a cord out to the boat and it's ready to go in the morning....And don't worry their GFI protected.