DrNate

Engine noise in my tower speakers

truekaotik    458
here is my amp you were lookin for true, it looks messy because i rewired everything from different locations. it doesnt actually look like that. but the rca splits on the left, thats what the black wwires are

I PM'd you... You get to your boat yet?

PayCheck    20

nope, im still in highschool and dont get out till the 19th... but ill PM you how it goes. when depending on if i can get down there earlier or will have to wait till the 20th. i was just thinkin about nates post because i want to redo my cars stero sometime too. power wire and speaker wire are hard to run separatly in my car

Wylie_Tunes    146

I guess I was hopeful becauese it made sense. These are the only speakers giving me engine noise, and they are the only speaker wires running across the power cord of the amp. Seems like I just could just put a filter or something between the speaker wire and the power wire. They are both insulated, though, Seems that rubber or plastic wouldn't do it

Ok, im reading that ALL your speakers are powered off a single amp, right? None off the head-unit and no other amps?

How many RCA sets are you running to the full-range in-boat side of the amp? If running 2 sets of RCA's, try swapping them with the set thats the source for the in-boats and see if the engine noise moves or stays.

Are the towers on "Amp-1" or "Amp-2" of the 700.5? I have another trick to try, but need to know this first.

DavidEM    1

In my experience, its very very rare for noise to be introduced into the speaker wires through EMI. Rerouting speaker wires would be way down on my list of ideas to try, but it sounds like you are exhaustion possible solutions.

Absolutely correct. With speakers being about 5 percent efficiency at best, it would take a power plant to induce noise through the air into speaker wires. The exception would be an inductor in the passive crossover.

David

truekaotik    458

Yes I've tried to get him to switch his RCAs already.. He never tried it I don't think... That's what I've been waiting for... I believe it's RCA related...

Edited by truekaotik

DrNate    426

Ok, im reading that ALL your speakers are powered off a single amp, right? None off the head-unit and no other amps?

How many RCA sets are you running to the full-range in-boat side of the amp? If running 2 sets of RCA's, try swapping them with the set thats the source for the in-boats and see if the engine noise moves or stays.

Are the towers on "Amp-1" or "Amp-2" of the 700.5? I have another trick to try, but need to know this first.

It's really frustrating because I'm not a stereo guy. I will try swapping the RCA's. The tower speakers are on "Amp1". Yes, only one amp and all speakers in the boat are running off of this one amplifier. All in-boats and sub sound great with no engine noise whatsoever. Only the tower speakers whine. :(

truekaotik    458

Nate Rhunt has my number, get it from him and call me when your at your boat.. I will walk you thru some checks and find the issue..

DrNate    426

alright, I'll give you a call on Thursday if that's okay. I'm not sure I want to pay somebody 4 hours of labor to rerun some speaker wire

Wylie_Tunes    146

It's really frustrating because I'm not a stereo guy. I will try swapping the RCA's. The tower speakers are on "Amp1". Yes, only one amp and all speakers in the boat are running off of this one amplifier. All in-boats and sub sound great with no engine noise whatsoever. Only the tower speakers whine. :(

No worries. There are a few things we can walk you through that you dont need to be a stereo guru to do. Is the noise present with other music sources like CD, tuner, and different MP3 players. If its only present with one source, it could be the head-unit. If its on all sources, could be head-unit wiring or faulty alternator.

1) With the system off, unplug the tower RCA set from AMP-1, move the on-boat RCA set from AMP-2 and plug it into the AMP-1 sockets and plug the tower RCAs into AMP-2. Power up and make sure the head-unit fade is centered. Start the engine and see if the noise has now moved to the in-boat speakers. If you cant tell, then fade the towers down so the in-boats are dominant.

Noise moves to the in-boats = problem is upstream of the amp and is either the RCA cable, head-unit, wiring, alt.

Noise stays on the towers = could be internal amp issue. At this point, I would swap the in-boat and tower speaker wires on the amp and see if the noise moves or stays.

DrNate    426

The noise is present on all sources. Will troubleshoot tomorrow and let you know

truekaotik    458
alright, I'll give you a call on Thursday if that's okay. I'm not sure I want to pay somebody 4 hours of labor to rerun some speaker wire

I wouldn't want to pay either... Anytime is good with me, Rhunt told me he was gonna get it to you....

RhuntIII    555

True the deal has been made. Nate I'm not having any problems with my stereo. Maybe it's because I haven't ran the boat in 3 weeks! :wallbash:

Edited by RhuntIII

duramat    462

True the deal has been made. Nate I'm not having any problems with my stereo. Maybe it's because I haven't ran the boat in 3 weeks! :wallbash:

That's crazy talk there! Your in Texas with epic weather! LOL

DrNate    426

This weekend my friends. We will ride Saturday AND Sunday!

Thanks for the help everyone, especially TrueKaotik. Engine noise is almost completely gone :)

truekaotik    458

Anytime bro!! When your ready to do the proper fix call me... I will walk you thru it step by step so you don't feel overwhelmed... It may take a hour to fix and install a new amp for your towers ;)

Wylie_Tunes    146

This weekend my friends. We will ride Saturday AND Sunday!

Thanks for the help everyone, especially TrueKaotik. Engine noise is almost completely gone :)

Glad that you are making some headway.

Would you be willing to share, when you have time, what you have found and what actions have been taken to reduce the noise? This will bring this thread full-circle for those reading along as well as those in the future that might find themselves in the same predicament.

DrNate    426

Glad that you are making some headway.

Would you be willing to share, when you have time, what you have found and what actions have been taken to reduce the noise? This will bring this thread full-circle for those reading along as well as those in the future that might find themselves in the same predicament.

Yes, I will share. Because the correct fix would have involved rewiriing the amplifier from the battery, I decided to go with the easy fix for now, which is to run the rca's through a closed loop inverter thingy before going into the amp. I realize that this is not the best fix or the correct one, but it was certainly simple. I will do the correct fix in the off-season.

RhuntIII    555

Totally forgot to ask about the filter. Little noise?

DrNate    426

Yes, engine noise is 90% gone and definately tolerable. A special thanks to Rhunt for crawling up in my passenger's compartment and doing all of this for me! There is little to no chance that I could fit in there :)

PayCheck    20

We also got rid of most of the sound, thanks True. We grounded the hu directly to the battery, and it helped a lot. Still need to buy more wire for the positive, but assume that will finish the sound off. Thank you SO MUCH TrueKaotic!