DrNate

Engine noise in my tower speakers

DrNate    426

Okay, so I've had my tower speakers hooked up for awhile and have been happy with them. That is, until I got the boat out on the water! There is singing and whining coming out of them with the engine running and when I turn any pumps or electrical stuff on. I turned up the gain on that channel so I could hear them when I surf, and the whining/singing to waaaay worse too.

All of my speakers are running off of one amp (Kicker 700.5), so I don't get it.

In English, is there any easy fix for this?

truekaotik    458

Nate, is everything ( head unit, amp) grounded and powered off the same battery?

Is it ONLY the tower speakers? You need to Check and be positive its not doing it on the inboats... Turn the volume all the way down and you should hear it if so.

Edited by truekaotik

DrNate    426

Sorry, true, I did mean to mention that it is ONLY my tower speakers (I will double check this to be sure though). And I'm also pretty sure everything is grounded and powered off the same battery

DavidEM    1

Yes, but is the source unit also getting its power and ground from the same point? And this point should be closest to the amplifiers if there is considerable distance between the amplifiers and the battery. Sometimes you have to lift the HU supply/ground from the factory harness and go straight to the primaries on the amplfier.

Like mentioned above, turn the tower speakers completely off and put your ear directly to the tweeter of an in-boat coaxial to see if the noise is present with the volume all the way down. I am not convinced it's in the tower only.

Verify that the noise does or does not increase with volume.

If it is in the tower only then switch the tower and in-boat RCAs. Make sure all RCAs are snug and all the way seated.

The amplifier input gains seldomly need to be more than 40 percent up to produce full power. So try pulling the input RCAs out completely on the amplifier and try the tower speakers for noise with the amplifier gains at 40 percent...but no input connection.

Let us know the outcome. Based on that feedback another round of trails should absolutely isolate and confirm the noise culprit.

David

truekaotik    458

Nate if yOu don't understand what David meant, call me. He is getting to the same point as I am.. It may be a bad RCA issue but normally it travels thru everything not just a channel... I can walk you thru it when your at the boat bro if it seems intense...

harlobra    24

I've had the same problem since I bought the boat but have "fixed" it with an in-line noise silencer. I would like to fix the problem correctly though.

I've read a bunch of other threads on this and from what I can gather:

1: The amps need to be grounded and powered by the same battery

2: The HU should be powered from the same battery - unless there is a long distance from the battery to the HU

3. The ground wire on the amps needs to be thicker or lower gauged than the power wire

4: The RCAs should not be run alongside or zip tied with the amp power lead

Am I missing anything?

DavidEM    1

All that noise silencer did was introduce a small transformer coupling on each of the RCA ground shields so that DC voltage that carries an AC ripple (noise component) can no longer flow (in an attempt to balance potential) between products in the audio signal path. It's a bandaid and can in many cases adversely affect sound quality.

1) Yes, same battery. If everything positive (alternator/starter feed, ALL stereo equipment and the helm buss) is wired to the common output post of the dual battery switch then it is impossible to have a conflict.

2) The most important reference point is between audio components in the signal path. Distance becomes a concern when the batteries are a great distance away from the amplifiers. In that case, you want to reference the HU and all source electronics with the amplifier primaries versus the battery.

3) Power and ground wires should be symmetrical...but use heavy gauge commensurate with the current draw times distance. There is no advantage to an asymmetrical arrangement. A weak link is a weak link regardless of which pole.

4) It's rare for a quality RCA cable to have magnetically induced noise. But you are begging for trouble with long coincidental side by side spans with power wiring. Short overlaps and minimal crossing should not cause you problems.

David

Wylie_Tunes    146

I've had the same problem since I bought the boat but have "fixed" it with an in-line noise silencer. I would like to fix the problem correctly though.

I've read a bunch of other threads on this and from what I can gather:

1: The amps need to be grounded and powered by the same battery

2: The HU should be powered from the same battery - unless there is a long distance from the battery to the HU

3. The ground wire on the amps needs to be thicker or lower gauged than the power wire

4: The RCAs should not be run alongside or zip tied with the amp power lead

Am I missing anything?

Harlobra,

The ENTIRE audio system needs to share a common battery source. This means: amp(s), head-unit, any periprials such as equalizers, zone cntrollers, line drivers, CD changers. Also, any MP3 player interfaces that charge the device.

The head-unit has to share the same battery source as the rest of the system, regardless of how long of a wire run it is to go directly to the battery. If its further to go directly to the battery, then go to the amp's B+ and GND terminals. This serves the same purpose.

The amp's GND wire does not need to be larger then the B+. They need to both be of the appropriate size to carry the load. Larger is ok, but its an urban legend that the ground needs to be larger. In current flow, both carry the load and the length of both needs to be taken into account when figuring the cable gauge.

There are times where the RCA cables and power cables to run parallel, no matter how hard we try to avoid it. But this rarely causes noise if the other practices are fallowed. I have yet to find a boat system that I had to install an in-line noise filter. 9 of 10 that come in the door are fixed by a simple rewire.

truekaotik    458

You can only repeat the same thing so many times so.....

X3

PayCheck    20

I am having extreme problems in my bow speakers. The towers and rear speakers are fine, but I rewired the RCA cable to a different route away from any power cable. I put a plastic casing around it also. Very little help. My tower speakers came installed, and they run right with the power cable no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated

harlobra    24

NO MORE NOISE.

I re-wired the HU power and ground to match the amps and it's fixed. No more band-aid

Thanks for the help!

PayCheck    20

lucky, do you mean you grounded and powered them to the same battery? i only have one battery for now, i can hear the ballast pump and everything that is connected to the battery. quite annoyed

DrNate    426

I haven't had time to fix mine yet, the tower speakers are still whining badly. very annoying.

harlobra    24

The grounds go directly to the battery but there is a post on the side of the boat that is wired to the battery switch that the positive leads are connected to.

(null)

PayCheck    20

here is my amp you were lookin for true, it looks messy because i rewired everything from different locations. it doesnt actually look like that. but the rca splits on the left, thats what the black wwires are

post-3334-0-76145100-1338490344_thumb.jpg

Edited by PayCheck

DrNate    426

So I had a stereo guy look at it for me today and he said the reason this is occurring is because the speaker wires come down out of the tower and are run across the power cable going to the amplifier. All of the other spekears are coming into the amp from the other side. His solution would be just to run the tower speaker wires around the observer's compartment and into the amp without them crossing the power cable. Could it really be that simple?!?!?

Wylie_Tunes    146

So I had a stereo guy look at it for me today and he said the reason this is occurring is because the speaker wires come down out of the tower and are run across the power cable going to the amplifier. All of the other spekears are coming into the amp from the other side. His solution would be just to run the tower speaker wires around the observer's compartment and into the amp without them crossing the power cable. Could it really be that simple?!?!?

In my experience, its very very rare for noise to be introduced into the speaker wires through EMI. Rerouting speaker wires would be way down on my list of ideas to try, but it sounds like you are exhaustion possible solutions.

DrNate    426

I guess I was hopeful becauese it made sense. These are the only speakers giving me engine noise, and they are the only speaker wires running across the power cord of the amp. Seems like I just could just put a filter or something between the speaker wire and the power wire. They are both insulated, though, Seems that rubber or plastic wouldn't do it

PayCheck    20

i have learned that running power wires and the rcas doedsnt not work out well. try it and see how it works, if it works ill be sure to try it with my wires

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..