GOBIG

Need New Board

GOBIG    4

For the last 2 seasons I have been riding a O'Brien alias board. For next year I'm wanting to upgrade my board but would like some input on what would be a better board. We are about the only crew at our lake that surfs I just want something that's faster and that I can do a little more on. I'm 6'5" and 205. Thanks for any input.

dude_here    0

I think the first question here is Surf or Skim. Do a little watching on Youtube and check out both styles. Then you can start to narrow down the search in either specific category.

GOBIG    4

Whats the difference between the surf or skim. The alias is the only board I have ever rode.

dude_here    0

Whats the difference between the surf or skim. The alias is the only board I have ever rode.

Random youtube search (no affiliation to anything)

Skim:

Surf:

I think surf is more about carving/slashing learning airs, whereas skim is more about spins and shuvs. I love both.

Also it might be too much info but this thread has come great nuggets of info and a lot of board reviews

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/3325-give-feedback-and-opinion-on-the-board-you-surf/

DarksideR    1,679

Surf boards are usually a bit bigger/thicker with larger fins, very much like an ocean surfboard.

Skim boards are smaller/thinner usually with a single 1" tall fin and sharper edges. This would be considered more of a "trick board".

Here's a great video to show you the "surf style" board and what can be done on them

Here's one of the "skim style"

Hope this helped clarify

DarksideR    1,679

LOL, DudeHere beat me to it while I searched YouTube. All good vids.

GOBIG    4

Thanks for the video's to compare the 2 i had searched but didnt find near that mich info. I think my obrien alias is more of a skim board. So i definetly want to go with a surf board. Thanks guys for the help

Edited by GOBIG

DCO    5

I had a O'Brien Alias TT Board. By no means am I an expert, but what I can tell you is that I could only ride the O'Brien Board ropeless for 20-30 seconds. I purchased an Inland Surfer Squirt Board and rode it this past weekend for the first time. It was like night and day. Basically I could stay up with The Squirt for as long as I wanted to.

GOBIG    4

I can ride my alias ropless for a long way but it seems like you really have to work to keep up. But by no means am I a expert I just want something else. Thanks for the input

GOBIG    4

I for sure want a surf any suggestions on boards

WakeDoc    471

I'm 6'5" and 205. Thanks for any input.

I for sure want a surf any suggestions on boards

We know your size and you want a surf style board, what is your budget, is this board mainly for you, would this be a board for big tricks, cruzing or just progressing and having fun?

DrNate    426

I have an Inland Surfer Sweet Spot for sale in the Classifieds. Just Sayin'

GOBIG    4

Board would be mainly for me but my wife wakeboards but wants to learn to surf next year. She is 5' 8" 115 so i don't know if we could be able to ride the same board if not we will be looking into one for her also. I want something that I can progress into doing some tricks. Budget is pretty open

h20king    794

Save yourself some cash and get a performance board that your skills can grow into.The sweet spot that Nate has listed should work for you I weigh 205LBS and can ride one no problem its a fun intermediate board that your wife should be able to ride as well http://www.centurion...fer-sweet-spot/ if your budget is open get in touch with crew admin through the crew store and get a great deal on a SOULCRAFT hand made board.I have tried out lots of boards and the soulcraft is by far still my favorite http://www.centurion.................H

DrNate    426

Save yourself some cash and get a performance board that your skills can grow into.The sweet spot that Nate has listed should work for you I weigh 205LBS and can ride one no problem its a fun intermediate board that your wife should be able to ride as well http://www.centurion...fer-sweet-spot/ if your budget is open get in touch with crew admin through the crew store and get a great deal on a SOULCRAFT hand made board.I have tried out lots of boards and the soulcraft is by far still my favorite http://www.centurion.................H

What H said

duramat    462

Both boards are stellar! i got a Sweet myself and I was really diggin the Soulcraft at the Crew get together.

GOBIG    4

I think I'm going to go with the Soulcraft. What are the differences in the tails? Thanks guys

h20king    794

The boards are very similar the squash tail will release a little easier than the swallow tail and feels a little looser when you ride it.I prefer the swallow tail because it is better suited to my riding style but both are great choices.I spent a week riding a standard jetty swallow tail and by the end of the week I had to have one.I had a board custom shaped to my size and needs with custom artwork as well.Admin and soulcraft are awesome to work with and can help guide you through the whole process just shoot them a PM and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help............................................................H

post-777-0-26576100-1318602046_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-87854900-1318602059_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-89957900-1318602163_thumb.jpg