CrewAdmin

WSAN Press Release

CrewAdmin    192

Resently the WSAN (Water Sports Alert Network) was formed, in the future Press Releases from them will be posted here. Please see latest Press Release below.

wsan.PNG

The Water Sports Alert Network (WSAN) is your ALERT system to let you know what is going on in your area and in other parts of the world that could affect you. This network comes to you courtesy of the Water Sports Industry Association (WSIA).

WHO: New Hampshire Department of Safety

WHAT: Rules that Impact Wakesurfing

WHERE: Big Island Pond. South New Hampshire

WHEN: May 30, 2011

WHY: A New Hampshire Marine Patrol officer stopped John Reisdorf while Reisdorf was

wakesurfing on Big Island Pond during the Memorial Day holiday. The officer stated that,

“Wakesurfing was illegal in the state of New Hampshire.” Specifically, when the participant threw

the handle into the boat, the participant violated the Safe Passage Law of New Hampshire. The

officer went on to explain that, the Safe Passage Law refers to the distance a boat can come to a

swimmer and without the handle, the wakesurfer was technically a swimmer.

Needless to say, Reisdorf challenged the officer’s ruling. Reisdorf was given a written warning and

advised that since wakesurfing is illegal that he was not to participate in this activity without further

consequences. On Tuesday morning May 31st Reisdorf called the WSIA headquarters for assistance.

Realizing this was an erroneous stop, the WSIA quickly jumped into action.

The WSIA contacted David Barret, the Boating Law Administrator for the state of New Hampshire

within 30 minutes of Reisdorf’s call. Barret explained that he would have Capt. Mark Gallagher from

the Marine Patrol Bureau get back to the WSIA by 2 pm that afternoon to get specific information

on the incident. After a brief conversation with Capt. Gallagher it was confirmed that wakesurfing is

NOT illegal in the state of New Hampshire and the WSIA was assured by Capt. Gallagher that

Reisdorf would also be notified of the misinterpretation of the state’s statute and all charges would

be dropped.

Due to the WSIA’s deep connection with Marine Patrol Law Enforcement, this matter was resolved

within 6 hours of receiving the initial call and an over-zealous officer’s interpretation of the boating

law was over-ruled.

Although not all matters may have such a favorable outcome, the WSIA remains committed on your

behalf to work tirelessly behind the scenes to insure that you – the manufacturer – and your

dealer’s waterways are protected. For more information, please call the WSIA at 407-251-9039.

WSIA – We can accomplish together what none of us can alone.

Bigcatpt    408

Can we get these guys to have a little talk with the Feds down at Lake Powell. They will ticket you every time for surfing. Even with a 20 foot rope. Its all about safety and carbon monoxide blah blah blah. :thumbdown:

J Warren    0

Thanks for the info on the WSAN; can't believe that incident in NH. Or at Lake Powell.

Everybody is looking for more money!

Jane

duramat    462

Can we get these guys to have a little talk with the Feds down at Lake Powell. They will ticket you every time for surfing. Even with a 20 foot rope. Its all about safety and carbon monoxide blah blah blah. :thumbdown:

X2! We need for them to contact them and get this resolved.

RVR-RAT    269

Wow, I had no idea it was illegal at Powell. Thanks for the info Bigcat. I always wondered how long it was going to take before it was going to be enforced due to the idea of carbon monoxide/being a safety issue. Thats Lame.

enzo on LI    79

Out of curiosity has snyone on here actually suffered from the phantom carbon monoxide? Even when I had my '01 X30 (sorry for the foul language :spiteful: ) i did not have any problems and I had to surf just off the swim platform. Am I just fortunate or is the monoxide poisoning not as big of a deal as some make it out to be? I want to be safe, but sometimes the law can get a lil over zealous.

The only time I remember hearing about is was when the teak dragging behind platforms was a big thing. Several people died from it. That is why lots of warnings came out. But Surfing is totally different, as you are standing up in the flow of air. Not down by the exhaust just on top of the water.

As far as I have heard there have been no reports of issues with the exhaust. On the CAT engines the issue is gone anyway as the it is burned off.

waketoowake    0

The web site wake9.com did some great research on carbon monoxide and its effects on wakesurfers. There was no hazard for the surfers but the people at the back of boat where exposed to low levels of carbon. But after a day of riding with a low level exposure you could easily have a dead ache. Check it out if you can it is good info.