Sign in to follow this  
cavro

My impressions of Enzo 230's maiden voyage

cavro    0

So I took out my 2008 enzo 230 last weekend. This boat has only 14 hours on the clock and it looks and runs like new. I do have a few complaints though.

1. The boat has a terrable shudder under acceleration. It reverberates through the stering wheel at the bottom end and the boat contunues to have vibration through the higher RPM's. I checked the prop, it looks perfect. There is no sign of any damage at all on the ACME 537.

Is this a characteristic of the boat? Is the prop wash effecting the rudder?

2. The boat is way slow. It took twice the time to get on plane as compared to my 98 VLX. Top speed was 37 MPH with only my wife and I on board.

3. I love the sound of through hull exhaust but inside the boat its just a lot of noise. I will be looking for some way of making it a little more quiet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

Other than those complaints the boat was great!! Lots of room and a nice ride though the chop. I can't wait to get my ballast set up and see what the wake will be like. The stereo sounds great too.

Kevin Baugh    78

"Is this a characteristic of the boat? Is the prop wash effecting the rudder?"

no it sounds like a bad prop, and or bent strut and shaft, or out of alignment

are you at high altitude

Edited by Kevin Baugh

cavro    0

Altitude is around 3500 feet. I just ordered a new 1579 prop. I hope it solves 2 of the 3 issues.

cavro    0

I have two more small complaints.

The PP wakeboard pro was not that accurate but I will try calibrating it before I change anything. Is this a common issue on these boats? My Malibu had the same system and it worked well.

The depth finder would stop reading correctly after 25 MPH. It would jump from 30 feet to 200 and flash until I slowed down again. This happened repeatedly.

DarksideR    1,679

3. I love the sound of through hull exhaust but inside the boat its just a lot of noise. I will be looking for some way of making it a little more quiet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

If you are talking about the Sideswipe exhaust, they do make baffles for them that apparently knock the sound down a bit... unsure just how much though.

cavro    0

Yes I have the sideswipe. I have done a little reading on this site. It sounds like a might have a few options to keep the noise down.

Any idea how to check and fix the strut and shaft alignment? I have a feeling its more than just a prop problem.

wakemeup    0

Cavro,

Have a tech check to make sure your shaft is nit slightly bent due to a previous accident. A slight bend can cause shaking.

Kevin Baugh    78

Since your boat has the wrong prop for your Altitude I would wait to get the prop and see how things work

Dreamer    96

I do not have side swipe but I find my enzo is not as quiet and refined as my previous boat, a 2002 supra ssv. Check your prop and shaft but it may be just the way the boat is.

Kevin Baugh    78

I would not agree with "refined as my previous boat, a 2002 supra ssv" in any way but that could just be me :nea:;)

enzo101mo    98

My brother's 2010 enzo230 Had to have his engine aligned and his Propeller shaft also. The Factory told him after inspecting his boat that they had also put the wrong Rudder and skages (Finni's) at the factory and replaced them for him.:shock: They told him that everyones boat should be check for alignement every time you winterize your boat.:unknw: Has anyone ever heard that before or has had it done everytime?

I was told buyu a boat dealer to never buy a boat at a boat show because sometimes they a rush to be built to get them to the show on time. This is what my brother did and he really is paying for it, He want a cherry boat but got a LEMON.:no

cavro    0

I do not have side swipe but I find my enzo is not as quiet and refined as my previous boat, a 2002 supra ssv. Check your prop and shaft but it may be just the way the boat is.

I agree that centurion is not the same boat as some premium brands. My boat feels more like a typical runabout. I had a Fourwinns a few years ago and it feels more like that boat than my previous Malibu. Honestly my Malibu was 10 years older and had almost 600 hours on it and the quality of construction was much better on the Malibu.

I new this before I bought this boat though, its like comparing a domestic to an import. I cant afford the import so I bought a domestic.

There is no way I can live with the shudder though, I need to fix this problem soon.

DrNate    426

I have either owned or ridden in almost every possible boat brand that you can imagine. I grew up on the water and have been on or around the water my entire life. And I just bought a brand new 2011 Centurion and I can assure you that the fit and finish and ride is second to no other brand, and I mean no other brand. Just sayin'. There's something wrong with yours, I promise. Get it fixed and you might even agree with me.

LakeSurfer    10

I have either owned or ridden in almost every possible boat brand that you can imagine. I grew up on the water and have been on or around the water my entire life. And I just bought a brand new 2011 Centurion and I can assure you that the fit and finish and ride is second to no other brand, and I mean no other brand. Just sayin'. There's something wrong with yours, I promise. Get it fixed and you might even agree with me.

I would be willing to bet that cavro's Enzo is an 2008 or earlier. IMO, Centurion really stepped its game starting in 2009 and really came full circle in 2011. With that said, an new Enzo has increased by $25-$30K over that same time period as well.

But if you compare a 2008 Enzo to an 2008 BU/Nati/Supra you would be really disappointed in the finish out. However, you compare a 2011 Enzo you would not be.

DrNate    426

Thanks for the clarification LakeSurfer, I didn't realize the the difference in the 08's and before :)

enzo101mo    98

My Enzo is 230 2005 second year Centurion built the Enzo. I have never had a better boat and the ride and construction of this boat was what sold me on it. If you look how Malibu boat is constructed and how Centurion is, it's hands down Centurion is best built. The Malibu is built from the hull and the top deck glued together, the floor is some kind water proof material and the bases for the seats are made of the same materials and held down to the floor with shelving small L brackets. If you removed the carpet off the seat bases you'll see how it looks box together.:thumbdown:

Centurion has only two thinks to put it together, the hull and the top deck. The floor, seating bases,storage compartments, dash, ice chest and top deck which is all one solid piece. They fuse the hull and top deck together and that makes it a might strong boat. That's why I know Centurion should showing and advertising this also. I have mention this before I have been in construction for over 30 years and a general contractor for the past 23 years building custom homes and I can see when something is built the quality that goes into it.

The only thing I like about Malibu is the Hardware that they use..

enzo101mo    98

O I forgot to mention if you really want to see how strong the Centurion boat is ask Wake Doc about the accident where his boat flew over the center concrete divider to on coming traffic and still the whole boat stayed together but with badly damaged. I feel any other boat would have blown apart in pieces all over the highway.

Carvo: Just take it your dealer or a repitle boat shop, Iam sure it's the shaft or the propeller out on alignement..

cavro    0

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your comments about the construction methods. I am just a little dissapointed spending 45k on what I thought was an almost new boat and having to deal with these issues. We have so little lake time here in Alberta that there really is no time for R and D. When I bought the boat all the lakes were still frozen so no test drive. Im sure its nothing more money cant fix.

B.O.A.T!!!!

LakeSurfer    10

Thanks for the clarification LakeSurfer, I didn't realize the the difference in the 08's and before :)

I am not saying an '08 or early Enzo is not a great boat (especially for the money). It just that if you are looking for a Cadillac (ie Bu 247), the early Enzo was more like a Tahoe. Both are made solid as a rock and will have a great wave.

Kevin Baugh    78

I agree with 101 since day one of the Enzos I have considered them better than a BU

but the construction of a Centurion is far superior to a bu IMHO :thumbsup: