h20king

Elite V custom ballast

h20king    794

Bro did you check out the forecast for next week?? I hope Lacamus is ready for the mighty Elite...............H

h20king    794

Bro you must be one of those my glass is half empty kind of guys... LOL... look at Fridays forecast sixties and no rain what more could you expect from Oregon/Washington weather in may?? I got in the water yesterday and it was not that bad with a wet suit but I will admit I am thinking of ruining out to active and picking up a new dry suit sense I never got around to getting new seals for my old one.You should try to make it out with us if your brave enough and your schedule will allow....................H

DarksideR    1,679

the mighty Elite...............H

Now there's some words I thought I'd never read! :thumbsup:

Great install! Thanks for all the pics. Can't wait to get started on my ballast install!

tprice    118

The Mighty Elite, I think I can I think I can, I know I can throw a nice wake!

DarksideR    1,679

The Mighty Elite, I think I can I think I can, I know I can throw a nice wake!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wiggles    2

H, I could tell you were having fun spending my $$$

Lol

Everything turned out just the way I was hoping it would. The system rocks and has a killer wave to go with it.

Duramat, the pump system is great, cut my fill/drain time in over half.

The upgrades were definitely worth the expense and much cheaper than getting a new boat. I was close to pulling the trigger a couple times the last few months on a few diff enzo's but glad I stayed with this. Too many good memories and lots more new ones to be made with this boat.

Tprice, awesome to see more of the Elite boys stepping up and seeing exactly what we can do with the boats!!! I will be finishing my install this week as well!! can't wait to see what it can do :thumbsup:

How much weight did your customs end up calculating out to in weight.

Wigs

tprice    118

Tprice, awesome to see more of the Elite boys stepping up and seeing exactly what we can do with the boats!!! I will be finishing my install this week as well!! can't wait to see what it can do :thumbsup:

How much weight did your customs end up calculating out to in weight.

Wigs

Wigs,

H did the measurements and calc but I believe the custom sacs came to right about 1100 lbs. As discussed earlier we added another 100 lbs of led to the center ballast and From the looks of it, If I add 200 LBS to the Bow (Probably utilize the 50 LBS Pellet bags) under the Bow filler cushion the wave seams to be dead on. The Pic shown earlier on the regular side was with a 200 lbs body sitting in the Bow

I feel the wave should be right on with no additional bags laying around and a wave that will make any surfer get stoked.

Wiggles    2
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carter13    69

Bro you must be one of those my glass is half empty kind of guys... LOL... look at Fridays forecast sixties and no rain what more could you expect from Oregon/Washington weather in may?? I got in the water yesterday and it was not that bad with a wet suit but I will admit I am thinking of ruining out to active and picking up a new dry suit sense I never got around to getting new seals for my old one.You should try to make it out with us if your brave enough and your schedule will allow....................H

Actually I am one of those guys, how could you tell. :D

Now KGW says it is going to be sunny and 75. We'll see how many times it changes until then.

I have to drop my wife off at the airport and run some errands so I am all tied up. Where are you guys going to launch?

tprice    118

Carter, launching at Lacamas Lake in Camas.

You are not afraid of a little Algae are you???

Wiggles    2

I'm going to run a 750 and a 370 so I should be right around the same, I'll just have to get me some lead now and we'll be about the same!

:surfing2: I'll have pics to compare this weekend!! can't wait!

DarksideR    1,679

I'm going to run a 750 and a 370 so I should be right around the same, I'll just have to get me some lead now and we'll be about the same!

:surfing2: I'll have pics to compare this weekend!! can't wait!

Where to get this lead weight??

Popbags are a bit pricey.

tprice    118

My lead's on loan from H as he had some xtra. Not sure if I will get the popbags or just some more solid lead bars.

Will take some pics Friday and look forward to seeing your pics Wigs

duramat    462

Hey T, Tell me more about your custom sacs, were they both the same size? Do you have a bow sac? I drool over your install that H did more and more. LOL

h20king    794

Dura here is the skinny on the sacks,I removed the divider that separates the engine compartment from the cabin .I then measured from the line on the carpet to the end of the under the seat storage for the leg and added a couple inches just to make sure they fill all the space available.I don't remember the exact size but they will completely fill the rear locker and all the space under the seat on the dark side and by my calculations the sacks came in at just about 1000 LBS but with expansion should be more like 1100 LBS.The sacks are the same size on both sides because T surfs the dark side.Also there is no bow ballast I talked T out of it the same way I was talked out of it for the cost there is not much benefit.I recommend using these http://www.pop-products.com/products/ much cheaper than installing a bow sack and easier to put the weight where you want it.I placed the order for T'S sacks on 4-29-11 with wakemakers and am starting to think they dropped the ball but that will be a different thread once I find out for sure.If you were to copy what we did to T's boat you would have 1100 LBS in the rear corner 360 LBS center ballast with the lead we added and another 400 LBS in pop bags for a total of 1860 LBS of ballast which is a respectable number in any crowd. In the pics the wave was made with 1000 lbs in the rear corner 360 LBS center and three people on board still need the pop bags and the custom sacks we used mine which are not the best fit so stay tuned the wave will get better.......................H

I recommend using these http://www.pop-products.com/products/ much cheaper than installing a bow sack

For what it is worth, I got my integrated bow sac used for a fraction of the cost of pop bags. A new bag goes for $240 and can fill up to 650lbs. The pop bags are a lot more $ per lb. But It may be nice to position them different places. Although I haven't wished I could shift the weight of my bow sac at all. Looking at the pop bags, you would think something like that would be easy to make yourself for cheaper than what they are charging.

h20king    794

Knuckle not trying to pop your bubble but under the seats of the bow of a falcon there is no way you are getting 400 LBS up there I know this because I measured plus once you add the cost of the sack the pump the hose the clamps the fittings and labor to install the pop bags are just more bang for the buck and can be easily moved around.Also I was looking at the hose you are using is it smooth on the inside or ribbed like it appears if so it could be the source of your trouble with fill times if it is ribbed it can produce turbulence in the lines.My fill time on a custom sack using one jabsco is almost equal to your fill time using two Johnson pumps just something to think about..............H

Edited by h20king

Knuckle not trying to pop your bubble but under the seats of the bow of a falcon there is no way you are getting 400 LBS up there I know this because I measured plus once you add the cost of the sack the pump the hose the clamps the fittings and labor to install the pop bags are just more bang for the buck and can be easily moved around.Also I was looking at the hose you are using is it smooth on the inside or ribbed like it appears if so it could be the source of your trouble with fill times if it is ribbed it can produce turbulence in the lines.My fill time on a custom sack using one jabsco is almost equal to your fill time using two Johnson pumps just something to think about..............H

I'm guessing it is around 400LBs based on the amount of time it took to fill with a tsumnami pump last year. It filled in about the same amount of time that it took to fill my 400lb. If you look under there and take into account all the space on both sides and the tip, it is actually a fair amount of space. 400lb is really not a lot of volume if you think about it. How are you doing your "measurements" its is a pretty odd space under there. Also, the cost of the hose and clamps were probably around 30 bucks. To each his own when it comes to ballast....if pop bags fits your needs go for it. I personally like the sac so that I'm not carrying around the extra weight when I'm not surfing or when I'm trailering.

My hose is smooth on the inside. If the hose was the cause of the slower fill time then my drain times would also be slow. I can drain the 1100lb sac in about 5min 30secs. So that is what I think the fill time should be. It is taking me a couple mins longer to fill than empty but like I said, that is most likely due to an air bleed or the fact that there is a single 1" water source when filling but 2 1" water sources when emptying. Are you saying that you can fill your custom sac which you claim is over 1100 lbs with a single jabsco in about 7-8 mins? I'm not sure how that is possible....but I'll take your word for it.

That's a different topic though. I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll post something up once I've had a chance to do more research into it.

h20king    794

Yeah your right when I think about it fill time is with the second pump crossover installed single pump was more like 12 to 13 minutes.As far as the bow weight 400 Lbs is the equivalent of 48 one gallon milk jugs full of water and I just don't see the bow holding that much but I have been wrong before so if it works for you that is all that matters.I guess you get better prices in Utah because stainless clamps are expensive here hose is $1.50 a foot the pump is another $160 plus you would still have to buy the sack and all the flyhigh quick fittings and check valves. You do the work yourself as do I but T does not he would have to pay for labor on top of all the goods so if you add that all up that 400 pounds costs way more than the $375 for the pop bags.If you look through both threads stereo and ballast I designed the systems to give T the biggest bang for his buck and I think I pulled it off.There are many ways to skin a cat this was just the best way to give T all the goods and not break the bank......................H