Trevor Gleadhill

Building a new house

Kyle    0

I second both the insulation in all of the interior walls and 2x6 framing. We have that in our home and it makes a HUGE difference. One area that we missed though is the floors\ceilings and I wish we would have thought of it. Also, the 2x6 exterior walls. They are pretty much standard in snow country now but for the nominal extra $$ it seems worthwhile.

How about insulation arounf the master bedroom? So the kids don't hear. ;)

DarksideR    1,679

How about insulation arounf the master bedroom? So the kids don't hear. ;)

:thumbsup::unworthy:

Joe B    17

Cancel the Hot Water tank that will only last 8 years. Buck up and do the hot water on demand unit. More efficiant too.

Insulate the interior walls (especially the master bedroom)

Landscaping: I made our beds giant so I could use the riding mower only. Ripping up sod that's taken is a PITA. Plan the tree shade for the summertime as where I planted in the winter doesn't shade what I want in the summer (DOH).

Ask the neighbors if the AC unit is big enough or you should go to zones which is probably a norm in TX.

Auldman    0

If you are going to use a wood burning fireplace then put doors on the outside wall of the wood hopper. This allows you to stack it full of wood without having to drag it though the living room.

Also, if you are going to be on a well a constant velocity pump instead of a regular waterpump. It allows you to get rid of the pressure tank and gives you virtually unlimited pressure for sprinklers etc.

Edited by Auldman

Cancel the Hot Water tank that will only last 8 years. Buck up and do the hot water on demand unit. More efficiant too.

Insulate the interior walls (especially the master bedroom)

Landscaping: I made our beds giant so I could use the riding mower only. Ripping up sod that's taken is a PITA. Plan the tree shade for the summertime as where I planted in the winter doesn't shade what I want in the summer (DOH).

Ask the neighbors if the AC unit is big enough or you should go to zones which is probably a norm in TX.

Tankless water heater is what I said!!! LOL!!! We have 2 of them in our house now! One for down stairs and one for upstairs. Installation is very easy to do.

Big Po    1

My uncle works for Rheem (he worked on the line for 10 years) and he says when building new construction, he highly recommends the tankless hot water heater units.

Kyle    0

I put Radiant Barrier Decking on the roof. We are in the same area, dfw, so for comparison on electric, my house is 3600sf with my highest electric bill in 4 years being aroung $220. I'm convinced it is well worth the money.

And I did the rinnai water heater too.

So we had our pre-construction meeting yesterday to review the plans and make any last additions/changes.

Things that were top of mind for me based on this thread.

1. Radiant barrier will be installed

2. House wired throughout with 7.1 and 5.1 sound (inside and out)

3. No tankless water heater but we have 2 50 gallon water heaters with recirculation pumps standard.

4. Three outlets under the eves for xmass lights

Most of what everyone mentioned is already included. Cutting ground tomorrow.

T

DarksideR    1,679

So we had our pre-construction meeting yesterday to review the plans and make any last additions/changes.

Things that were top of mind for me based on this thread.

1. Radiant barrier will be installed

2. House wired throughout with 7.1 and 5.1 sound (inside and out)

3. No tankless water heater but we have 2 50 gallon water heaters with recirculation pumps standard.

4. Three outlets under the eves for xmass lights

Most of what everyone mentioned is already included. Cutting ground tomorrow.

T

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Auldman    0

Is that the beginnings of the Lake? How many slips are you planning for?

It began yesterday.

T

Edited by Auldman

Is that the beginnings of the Lake? How many slips are you planning for?

Ha, wouldn't that be cool! No private lake unfortunately but I am 10 mins away, driveway to floating, from Lewisville.

T

enzo101mo    98

I've been a general contractor for 23 years and I'm very impress of all the great Ideas everyone is coming up with. Every time I think of something to add someone comes up with, But if you can go with a 18 foot wide insulated garage door instead of 16 foot .

It sounds like this is going to be a great home enjoy and be always involve with the contractor daily just in case you see something that you want to change. It's easier to change a wall when it being framed.

One thing I didn't read and I have done this in Customs that I have built was instead of square bull-nose wall I have them put in radius walls. For example entryways, turning and going down hallways. Also 9 to 10 ceiling with large crown molding throughout the home or special rooms. Windows that face the south can become very warm in the summer time and beach out carpet & furniture. Install UV ray windows. Remember tell the painter you want a PVA wall sealer on all walls and 2 coats of latex enamel semi gloss or satin finish and no flat painted walls. Any Facia board or exterior wood to also have a semi gloss. It will hold up better threw the years to come.

Have fun building that new house and you'll have to post pictures as construction progresses.

Oh that one post that someone posted about his widows sweat and ice up. He needs to have all the window in the house replaced because they have failed and the argon gas seales are gone. moister in a home can cause mold.

I've been a general contractor for 23 years and I'm very impress of all the great Ideas everyone is coming up with. Every time I think of something to add someone comes up with, But if you can go with a 18 foot wide insulated garage door instead of 16 foot .

It sounds like this is going to be a great home enjoy and be always involve with the contractor daily just in case you see something that you want to change. It's easier to change a wall when it being framed.

One thing I didn't read and I have done this in Customs that I have built was instead of square bull-nose wall I have them put in radius walls. For example entryways, turning and going down hallways. Also 9 to 10 ceiling with large crown molding throughout the home or special rooms. Windows that face the south can become very warm in the summer time and beach out carpet & furniture. Install UV ray windows. Remember tell the painter you want a PVA wall sealer on all walls and 2 coats of latex enamel semi gloss or satin finish and no flat painted walls. Any Facia board or exterior wood to also have a semi gloss. It will hold up better threw the years to come.

Have fun building that new house and you'll have to post pictures as construction progresses.

Oh that one post that someone posted about his widows sweat and ice up. He needs to have all the window in the house replaced because they have failed and the argon gas seales are gone. moister in a home can cause mold.

Thanks for the feedback. We've got a lot of what you detailed. Bull nosed, 10 foot ceilings with crown moldings.

18 foot wide door is a good idea.

T

18 foot wide door is a good idea.

An 18 foot wide garage door definitely comes in handy when your buddy needs to get his boat out of the rain to work on his custom ballast system. Makes it wide enough to pull two boats side by side in there. :thumbsup: I know from experience on that one...coughDuraCough..lol

duramat    462

An 18 foot wide garage door definitely comes in handy when your buddy needs to get his boat out of the rain to work on his custom ballast system. Makes it wide enough to pull two boats side by side in there. :thumbsup: I know from experience on that one...coughDuraCough..lol

yep!! Bigger is always better :spiteful:

post-50-0-30776400-1306176003_thumb.jpgpost-50-0-62202000-1306176013_thumb.jpg

Edited by duramat

Troy    234

When you do the inspection before you take possession of the house check the windows good. My boss said several of his window's had to be replaced because the glass got scratched during the build.

jbird21    0

Flexible inwall conduit for future electrical upgrades. If the house has a brain run pipe from there to other parts of the house so adding later will not mean ripping down walls. Also run CAT 6 wire.. CAT 5 is so 2000